PDA

View Full Version : Trailer set up

fishingbarry
20-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Just about to renew the rollers on my boat trailer,Nathen trailer,3.75 Allycraft.Do I set the skids they just touch the hull when the boat is all the way up onto the trailer so its easy to push off or should the skids take the wieght of the tinny . At the moment the boat can be rocked from skid to skid as all the weight is on the rollers,I think my dad set it up this way so he (85yrs) could launch solo without effort.
Cheers
Barry

finga64
20-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Set the skids so they just touch the hull.
Most of the weight should be on the keel rollers. Too much weight on the skids could dint the bottom on the hull.
Place the skids as far as practical towards the outside edge of the hull for better support.
Put the plastic stuff on the skids. Makes for easy launch.
Funny you say that about your Dad. Mine does the same with his boat. Must be from the days when the boats stuck to the carpet or felt on the skids.

fishingbarry
20-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Finga,
Thanks for the advice I thought skids just touching was the go,so that is what will be done.
Cheers
Barry. [smiley=dankk2.gif]

bcb20
20-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Barry,

Finga's nailed it....Ideally the weight is taken throught the keel rollers on aluminium boats with the skids simply for "rocking support"

Best of luck,
Sabre

dnej
20-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Take care that you may have a high part on the bottom of your boat. Mine sweeps upwards towards the stern, so I have to be careful, that I dont adjust the skids to the high point, otherwise, the lower part of the bottom has top ride up and over, the skid.Not good.
David

sempre
20-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Just a thought , the trailer guys told me the keel rollers are there only to guide the boat straight when retrieving , not to support the boat, the side rollers do all that. This was for a larger boat than yours , is there any difference ?

Dignity
20-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Barry, 20 odd years ago when I bought every mag related to fishing and boating they always suggested that the keel rollers took the weight and the skids should just touch ie be able to rock ever so lightly from side to side. Can not comment currently as have drive on set up although still trying to work out the optimum set up. When I did have an older fibreglass boat the skid system worked great until the trailer broke due to an accident at gladstone. Rebuilt it and decided on replacing the skids with rollers. Never the same. The older boats were built with a fairly heavy layer of fiberglass on the keel. I know that these days with improved technology they get away with less fiberglass and maybe need extra support on the sides.

sam