PDA

View Full Version : Row Row Row a Boat

rojac
19-04-2006, 07:23 AM
How realistic is it to row a 4.0 metre tinny should #the need arise??

cheers

rojac

finga64
19-04-2006, 08:02 AM
We used to row a 13' bondwood boat (heavy bloody thing) around Iluka Boat Harbour when I was a kid. Didn't worry us a great deal. :)

joeT
19-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Depends where you want to row it. If its in the bay with a current running, forget about it...

rojac
19-04-2006, 09:12 AM
If the motor buggers up for ex. Most of these are fitted with row locks. If its impractical to row then it'd be a waste of time to buy decent 7' full size oars.

Cheers

rojac

seabug
19-04-2006, 09:48 AM
JoeT Posted
"Depends where you want to row it. If its in the bay with a current running, forget about it... "

And if its in a strong wind or storm on exposed water,lake or sea,it would be of little help.

Regards
Seabug

blaze
19-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Depends on the beam of the boat to the lenth of oar required, if you have the right lenth oar then it is quite easy to make to shore if required, it maynot be the shore you want but in some circumstanes any land is good.
The old clinker type displacement hull boats were easier to row, sit in the water better and are heavier.
The key is the right lenth oar for the job.
cheers
blaze

Coontakinta
19-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Well had to row my 3.8m stacer for a bit once whilst caught in the middle of a bay on Yorke Peninsula. Sure there are easier ways to get around, like a working outboard, but hey when all u've got are the oars ::), well lets just say it sure beats swimming ;)

Without full length oars, id say forget it, u'd just be going around in circles

finga64
20-04-2006, 08:18 AM
We always worked the tides and currents to our advantage when we had to row. Go fishing up stream on the making tide and wait for the tide to change to bring us home. :)

We went from rowing to a seagull to make life easy (no electronics yet). We've gone from a seagull to a 'normal' outboard because the 'normal' outboard had a gearbox with neutral. Got electronic fishfinder to help find fish. Gone from 'normal' outboard to the electric start because the rope pulling is a pain. Had to get a GPS then to tell us where we were. All on a 13' boat we rowed 30 years ago and had no electronics. When does it all stop?? :-?
b.o.a.t. bring on another thousand....how true :)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-04-2006, 08:23 AM
The oars at least give you some means of propulsion if the motor fails. And, if you happen to be in dangerous water at the time, they will afford you some control over the direction you hold the bow.

Cheers
Dave

2iar
20-04-2006, 01:39 PM
We always worked the tides and currents to our advantage when we had to row. Go fishing up stream on the making tide and wait for the tide to change to bring us home. :)

We went from rowing to a seagull to make life easy (no electronics yet). We've gone from a seagull to a 'normal' outboard because the 'normal' outboard had a gearbox with neutral. Got electronic fishfinder to help find fish. Gone from 'normal' outboard to the electric start because the rope pulling is a pain. Had to get a GPS then to tell us where we were. All on a 13' boat we rowed 30 years ago and had no electronics. When does it all stop?? :-?
b.o.a.t. bring on another thousand....how true :)

LOL Finga. Ain't that the truth? :D ;D

Good luck,
Mike

robersl
20-04-2006, 02:06 PM
in the old days people used to row from brisbane river to bribie and back no problem depends on the boat and oars and the attitude of the person at the end of them

rojac
20-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback, looks like its add a decent set of 7'oars to the list.

blaze
20-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Hi Rojac
Dont buy 7 footers untill you try them as I feel they wont be long enough.
fit the oars in the rowlocks and see if you can easily get a full blade in the water without the need to lift your arms too high.
cheers
blaze

coasty
20-04-2006, 09:43 PM
i row my 15 foot alloy brooker up the creeks when they are too low.
i used to row a 14 ft from leetsvale to wisemans ferry and back.
hard work but people these days are too soft.

catchy_fishy
21-04-2006, 04:20 AM
When does it all stop?? #:-?
b.o.a.t. bring on another thousand....how true #:)

hmmmm :(