PDA

View Full Version : Stained gelcoat

John_mcfarlane
19-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Fishing at Eucembene over Easter. Water is very low, less than 40%, subsequently very dark and muddy along the shoreline. Left the boat in the water for 3 days. Gelcoat ended up pretty brown stained. Any suggestions to bring it back to white please?

Fishin_Dan
19-04-2006, 02:46 PM
You could try something like this:-

http://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=65052&search123=gelcoat&intAbsolutePage=1

wessel
19-04-2006, 04:45 PM
John

This type of question has been answered along similar lines by other posters over the past three to four weeks. Just page back through the postings and you will discover a wealth of information.

On a personal note. I am in the process of "restoring" my fiberglass boat (1994 hull, been left in the water for a long time.) I have had reasonable success using 1200 grit wet sanding paper and boat polish. It looks a lot better, and it is turning out not exactly like the showroom shine the old girl used to sport, but it is reasonably acceptable.

Good luck with the "wax on, wax off routine".

Wessel

Blackened
19-04-2006, 05:11 PM
G'day
I'm not raining on anyones parade but there's no need to bring out the wet n dry. For water stains, rust stains and yellowing just use some septone drifter. Broom on and hose off. This is a very safe acid wash and the process I use before i even think about bringing out the buff for the polish and wax.
Dave

ahoj
19-04-2006, 07:05 PM
I use hydrochloric acid around 5:1 or start with 10;1 and hose down after 5 min--- do it on a concrete as it will clean it too use good rubber gloves and mask 5 l cost 10$ buy at swiming pool places and will clean your boat from all mildue and yellowing at least 5 times to follow with polish and buff.. recomend using medium soft scrubbing brush or broom

Ahoj

WOOF
20-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I used Rust converter on my old f/glass yacht. Many times over many years.
Mix it with water for a very weak mix, wipe it on wash it off immediately with plenty of water. Removes all stains in the gelcoat.

vermin
21-04-2006, 01:24 PM
I used chemical called "Deck Hand". I think the main "nasty" ingredient was oxalic acid. Worked very well. Need to polish afterwards though since it takes the wax as well.

Ensure you read the warning label.

Cheers,

Geoff.

MulletMan
21-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Yeh Blackened has got a great product there in Septone Drifter.
Magic stuff!