PDA

View Full Version : Underfloor fuel tank - aluminium versus stainless

Moray2004
21-04-2006, 06:01 PM
I am in the process of replacing the floor and it is a major job as the ply has been glued with fibreglass to the diaphragms which are at 400mm centres (it is a cat). There are many many hours of chisel work to remove the ply from above the diaphragm as it is still in perfectly good condition.

I have removed both fuel tanks and they are the original factory fitted stainless steel tanks (20 yeas old) and both have minor leaks, which i found surprising. I haven't really looked over them to try and locate the leak but at a glance it appears to be somewhere along the welded seam. Given the difficulty to replace the floor i am not keen to repair the tanks and am currently getting prices to construct new tanks. The three fabricators i have approached so far have all suggested that using stainless is a waste of money and that marine grade aluminium would do an equally good job and would not be susceptible to fatigue cracking. The tanks were held in place with pour foam which was saturated in fuel and water. The fabricators suggested that the tanks should simply be strapped in place and not to use the pour foam.

If i do use aluminium i will also ensure they are painted with a durable epoxy coating. My question is simple - what has been your collective experience with stainless versus marine grade aluminium in floor tanks?

In looking at replacing the floor i have come across a product called Nycell or Celluka (depends on manufacturer i was told). I went and spoke to a boat builder today and he said it was the bees knees and would never use ply again. A sheet is 2400 x 1200 and the only price i have obtained so far is $150/sheet. It will never rot and is easy to work with. Has anyone used this product as i am very keen not to use ply again irrespective of the cost.

Thanks

Moray

Hagar
21-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I have seen both types of tank leak from pinhole corrosion on the bottom caused by exposure to salt water . Yes - the stainless ones as well . I had to have one made for the Yalta as it sits in a sloping cavity and went for the marine alloy one because weight was an issue . Very happy . It sits up on a floor of plastic lattice made from reject bakery bread trays to allow any water to drain away . It's experimental but so far so good . Any tank sealed under the floor will have to be bulletproof so don't want to recommend one way or the other mate .

Chris