PDA

View Full Version : Cats - Go For It !

Grand_Marlin
18-02-2006, 08:07 AM
Ok Cat Lovers & Cat Haters..... this is it.

There seems to be a good mix of controversy, misunderstanding, experience, inexperience, old wives tales and disbelief as to what Cats can and can't do.

The last couple of posts that involved cats wouldnt let you "think outside the square" on the topic, but now you can go for it !

Tell all your experiences.... do you own a Cat? Have owned one and would never own one again?
What brands are best? # Why are they best?
What are the differences between them all .... a lot of people think a cat is a cat, is a cat.... is this true? #Are they all the same?

Are the new model cats better than the old model cats?

Ever been on one that feels unsafe?

Ever had a wild ride in rough seas on a Cat?

How many times have you "stuck it up" a monohull owner on the water, by leaving them for dead?

Let it all hang out.... and dont worry about getting side tracked.... 'cos if it is about Cats, it is all relevant !

Cheers

Pete

blaze
18-02-2006, 10:11 AM
maybe just to stir the hornet he should compare multi hull with multi hull, cat verus tri, never owned a cat, been out on a few and think they are awesome. Owned a small tri and surprised many people with its ability to handle a sea but I have also been in an old pride 20 footer that outpermformed a simular size tri hull. I now have a 20 foot "hartley design" I believe that I am very happy with. Also been out on the west coast of tassie pulling cray pots in seas that seem to take 10 minutes to get up the swell and 10 seconds to get down the other side in 12 foot tinnies.
Its all about horse for coarse and the ability of the skipper because at the end of the day they are all just a floating hole on the water that sucks a lot of dollars
and I love it
so haven spoken the first worsds in this lenthy debate
bring it on, knock em down
but keep it a clean fight
;D ;D ;D ;D
cheers
blaze

troy
18-02-2006, 10:13 AM
Hey come off it Grand Marlin i could never imagine a cat sticking it up a mono.
I do not know about this business of letting it all hang out. ;)
Troy

jimbamb
18-02-2006, 11:07 AM
CATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Onya pussys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR
18-02-2006, 11:17 AM
i have a kitten, a 4.3 webster & love it, so does everyone who rides in it. never put myself in a bad situation, as after all, it is only 4.3..in a bit of chop etc. it will leave similar sized monohulls waaaaaaay behind, can even give head start ..very stable & safe fishing platform. as my confidence grows i am getting to the stage that it will go almost anywhere my 16 footer seafarer would, & faster :)

time will tell...

ahoj
18-02-2006, 11:28 AM
There are basic physical diferences between cat hulls and single hull boats.
Characteristics cannot be compared-- each boat has its own advantages and disadvantages. To push a cat along one needs a minimal HP because it does not need to pull the cat out of a bog.. The ride in waves is quieter and without the bouncing. Each time a single hull hits a wave it slows down and almost stops with cats it slices through. Cats are dryer... and if they are not overloaded are more ecconomical , safer and comfortable. Single hulls are more manuverable-- can turn in its own lenght== with a deep hull you have the roll but can go easier in medium seas but need the speed speed = HP ---HP = $$.. Not trying to be bias. For fishing and recreation stability and ecconomy cats beat single hulls everytime.
I can stand on my cat at any end (96kg and will not alter the water level by much.
As for single hulls they have their use as they have had for many hudreds of years and there are many satisfied and happy boaties catcing fish and enjoying themselfs as one is in a cat. It depends on your preferences and experience I prefere Cats--- some prefere blonds ;D ;D

Ahoj

ahoj
18-02-2006, 11:41 AM
jimbamb....

are you being a naughty boy...... :D :D

ahoj
18-02-2006, 11:53 AM
This is DR's webster 4.3 http://www.seamedia.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG161_prev.pdf

Nice medium cat

I like----- Ahoj

troy
18-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Okay i will take the bait.
The same size mono and cat both capable of doing the same speed.
You set off to the reef say 30 miles out in rough conditions how much quicker is the cat going to arrive there before the mono.
Troy :-/

DR
18-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Troy, if heading back to the ramp. i'd guess they would have the cat on the trailer, boiled the jug & be sitting there having tea & scones, with jam & fresh cream be fore you came into view.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darryl
18-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Bruce Harris was the local shark meshing contractor and he had been using a trawler to tend the shark nets, but he had a problem with the then notorious "Southport bar", and had already lost two wheel houses through having to come sideways thru the surf when the entrance was shallow. Bruce had designed and built a plywood catamaran that did seem to handle the conditions well, and now was going to build one in fibreglass.

Hence he did. And they took off like wild fire.

"Shark Cats" had proved their worth in rough water and were selling well. In particular they were ideal for the Abalone fishermen down south, and with the self draining floor we could fit a side opening door for easy access without the risk of swamping the boat.

The Shark Cats became the standard boat for "Air Sea Rescue" and Coast Guards all over Australia, and later the "Water Police and "Harbours and Marine.

Stands to my reasoning that if there was a better designed hull for rescue organisations to obtain they would be using them.

I rest my case, there is nothing like a comfortable soft riding pussy that handles well. ;D

seabug
18-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Hi you pussy cat lovers

Got to agree that in some circumstances the pussies rule.

But what % extra cost is it to get that quick trip back for the cuppa?

But hell,you guys are only mucking about. ;) ;) ;)

Now this is a REAL TOM CAT ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.westernbb.com.au/military_com.asp

Cheers
Seabug ;D ;D ;D

Bosunsmate
18-02-2006, 03:14 PM
http://www.incat.com.au/uploaded/18/63224_82def_a.jpg

This is a real cat.......

Darryl
18-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Bosunsmate, i think i have seen that cat fishing for bream in the seaway. ::) ;D

troy
18-02-2006, 03:46 PM
DR you keep out of this and just worry about your beloved Blues.
If you were to take them out to the reef in your pussy they would need more than tea and scones .
Maybe that is it ,you do that just before next years origin and the maroons will win on a forfeit due to the blues having a severe case of still dry reaching from that tortureous trip in your pussy and with you at the wheel they will probably all retire.
Would you be able to get them there before the next match if you headed out now.
Troy [smiley=beer.gif] :P

seabug
18-02-2006, 03:47 PM
And the odd one can go fast in a big sea. ;D ;D ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:USN_Joint_Venture_%28HSV-X1%29.jpg

Grand_Marlin
18-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Cat beats Trihull beats Mono beats Canoe (Just)

Troy, if we were to head out in 30 knots to the reef, damn right you would beat me back to the trailer in a monohull... only 'cos you would turn around at the heads and skulk back inside ;D ;D ;D

Ahoj, you have it all wrong with Australian designed cats.... big horsepower needed for sure.

It is those days when you are out fishing and it just keeps getting rougher and rougher.... everyone has gone home, but you stick it out a bit more.... just waiting for the weather to get to a point of roughness where you really know you are going to enjoy your trip home.

The days when you are pulling droplines over the shelf in Tassie and a 40 knot southerly buster hits... 3 - 4 metre waves are literally breaking on the foredeck of the cat.... 110hp flat out forwards and the other 110hp flat out in reverse to keep the boat straight as you finish pulling the line from 500m down... grab the fish, turn the cat araound and head for home... 4 metre seas with 40kts, and you still travel home, down swell at 30 kts.

A forecast in Tassie is sorta like a hot tip for a greyhound... somedays it comes good, but more often it gets scratched ;D

Doubt me? Ask Blaze...

Real seas with real boats....

Cheers

Pete

seabug
18-02-2006, 10:01 PM
50 Knt. Centre cab cat with casting deck ::) ::) ::)

http://www.news.navy.mil/view_single.asp?id=31685

snappa
19-02-2006, 01:04 AM
i had a bruce harris cat ..18ft..560 series .....14YEARS

I WISH I STILL HAD IT .....>>> :'(

i remember fishing tempest mid week with one crew when he turned to me and said i think we should go now [thats after a wave broke into the back completly wet from head to toe]

turned the cat towards cape moreton and holy shit large swells with white water on the tops ...
well i was glade i was in the cat surfing down them swells and no signs of broaching,,, only thing if i was to say something about them is that on occasions one sponson would dig in and water would come up over the front side ,,,, my deckies will tell ya

the other thing that pi%%ed me off .. was coming off the plane into a sea the water would be scooped up over the foredeck up the screen into your lap[ bloody cold at 3.00 am on a winter morn...also sounding around and you forgot and headed into a sea...

i want another one.................bigger the better .... :-X

seabug
19-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Hi Grand Marlin,
I agree that in some conditions cats rule.

And good luck to those who have them to enjoy.

Could you please give this prospective boat buyer some idea of the cost of running compared to a similiar length plate Mono?

Regards
Seabug

grex
19-02-2006, 08:31 AM
"Could you please give this prospective boat buyer some idea of the cost of running compared to a similiar length plate Mono?"

Seabug
Most cats have 2 motors which means high fuel & maintance compared to a single engin mono.

Fuel usage is very subjective , depends motor size , weight , distance travelled at cruising speed etc , etc.

In my case the boat is a 4.6mt Webster with a single 70hp 2s. Average days outing , 2 on board , cruising at 4000 rpm , a bit of trolling etc & the overall fuel usage is around 1lt / mile.

Geoff

Darryl
19-02-2006, 08:38 AM
Depends also on what is powering your cat, you have the option of just one outboard as well, or in pete's case you can also have an inboard diesel that would be as cheap as chips to run.

DecoFish
19-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Hi guys my first post so be nice. After owning a few mono's and wanting a change I have just purchased a mid 1980's 5.7m ish Marlin Broadbill with twin 70Hp Johnsons. She needs a fair bit of work to get her back to ship shape but hey I like the challenge. We will be using her for fishing and also a fair bit of scuba diving. After reading on the internet the Marlin broadbill seems to be the dive charter boat of choice down south with its wide beam and ample space between the motors to enter the water and large back deck for fishing from. Once she is all up and running then I will know which I prefere, Mono or cat. My money is on the cat.

bidkev
19-02-2006, 02:07 PM
My first decent boat was a Virgo Fisher cathedral (tri) hull, back in the UK. She was only 15ft with a 25horse Yammy but she outperformed other club members with their 18 foot monos and 70 horse. When we skulked back to the beach in rough (and I mean rough) she would pass the others. Come to think of it, I have run back in seas worse than I would trust the Whittley, with it's 23d deadrise.

Eventually, many club members switched to cathedral hulls so that says something......Cats were simply unavailable back then in the UK.

If I had wanted my rig simply for fishing I would go cat or tri, but the deckie likes to pose ;D

kev

You can never understand the true value of something until you don't have it anymore.

Blackened
19-02-2006, 05:16 PM
G'day
We;;.... in mt own experiance, once you go cat.... you never go back. I used to deckie on some outseide charter boats from both scarborough and the gold coast. Noosa cat, 44' were the 2 boats up outa scarborough, one a sedan with wrin stern driven volvo and the other a flybridge with twin shaft370hp volvo. As opposed to the 60' precision mono outa the gold coast with twin 692? 2stroke detroits, these noosa cats left it for dead. In all areas, economy, comfortability, ride, handling, stability, reliability and performance. I own a 12' tinny(horizon) and is grat for my needs, but will be going to a bigger cat one day.... my dream boat is the 7000 coastal cat 1/2 cab hard top. I'll throw a pair of optimax or 4 banger mercs on it, about the 135hp mark. I had also owned a little 14' caper cat and damn what a fun little sailboat. The difference in handling from a small monohull is amplified with these. They will slice like 2 knives through the water, not part and smash. They are stable as all hell and with next to nothing in contact with the water compared to a mono of similar sizes, make for an extremely efficient ride. this is due to minimal drag created by minimal hull in the water. At the end of the day, both have their places, hence why they are both made. Every boat is a compromise but i do say this, to those who bag a cat for whatever reasons..... Have YOU been in one?. Once you go cat, you never go back
Dave

Kalin
19-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Cats hey? Now first i think i might need to know what this Cat was that was mentioned above doing the 30 knots in a 4 metre sea. 110's would only put it in the less than 20 foot mark. Now hopefully the answer isn't going to be an 18 foot sharkcat as that is really going to start the bells ringing.

No cat I have ever seen or am aware of carrying 110's is capable of 30 knots in a 4 metre sea in any direction and believe me I've seen quite a few but most cat talk has never matched the heights some have been known to put them.

ahoj
19-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Hey mates...

I don't belong here in this company although my rig is 5 mtr long and only has 6 hp yammy i achieve 24 km/h.-- .doing Tin Can Bay and sandy strait to Harvey Bay I would not risk going on open sea but the sailing calypso cat from which it was made are known to venture to open seas. however i enjoy my fishing with my wife.. its comfortable, safe, steady and ecconomical and we enjoy our Cat At my twighlight years i can only dream about your big cats and sea going ventures
May you manage your boating safely as seas can be bad and temperamental masters.. cheers

Ahoj

ahoj
19-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Kalin---

I like to remind you that this is a fish chat and as such you always have to 1/2 what you read lol ;D ;D ;D

PS Nothing personal ......

Kalin
19-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Well then before anybody says too much more does that mean i have to double everything?

No mate personal is something with fisherman that most understand, for me I don't believe a lot of what I hear, nothing has changed that here so far.

This cat thing has gone through a couple of generations in the past 35 years or so and you know the tales don't get any different, the talk hasn't change much but what really stuffs some of the latest generation of story tellers is that there were people before who have been there and done that and know the difference with some of the tales and are able to sort the fiction out. KL

troy
19-02-2006, 07:55 PM
My question has still not been answered.
On a 30 mile trip out to a destination with both boats capable of doing the same speed in say 1.5 meter seas how quicker will the cat reach the destination before the mono.
Is it that great of difference as i would really wish to know.
When i go out no matter what boats are going with us we all stay in close distance of each other.
But surely you cat owners can answer this and tell me the time that you will be out there anchored before the mono.
Troy.
ps simple question but will you cat owners be able to answer it without going in to great detail :-/

DR
19-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Hey Kalin, how about something positive, you tell us what a cat can do, you hint at having some knowledge. Please don't be like some on here & make comments that mean nothing except serve to annoy, or is it easier just to add you to my ignore list now & save reading through a pile of ambiguos crap.
5 posts, nothing constructive, we have travelled this road before. my apologies if i am reading you wrong...

seabug
19-02-2006, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys,
Thanks for replies,
But my question really was how much MORE is it going to cost running a cat.

Lets say one of Col's 6M Maxi's x175hp against a 6 m cat.x2x 90hp

How much more to buy?
How much more to service?
How much more for insurance?
How much more fuel used %
In other words how much is that quick cup of coffee going to cost me.
Regards
Seabug

Grand_Marlin
19-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Seabug.... In general, if you are worried about fuel economy, dont buy a twin engined cat, especially twin 2 stroke outboards... they are terrible on fuel.

If you want a cat to really shine and show its performance characteristics, then you need power in its upper limits... so for an 18 ft cat, 230 hp courtesy of twin 115's are perfect.

18ft Mono max power needed... probably single 115 - 130?

So double the power, double the running costs in fuel and double the maintenance.

In saying this, the other options (as mentioned above) are alloy cats which for the same 18ft would only need say twin 70,s.

Then you have the single engine cats, which dont perform as well as the twin engined cats, but again are better on fuel.

Also the hull shape of a cat doesnt lend itself to fuel economy.... they are heavier by far, and have half the planing area. :-/

In saying this though.... what price do you put on safety if you are fishing very wide, or remote places? Twin motors, twin tanks, twin hull ride and stability, self draining decks.... what more can I say??

If you are only a pretend fisherman, or are too scared to go wide, a mono is the choice for you. ;D ;D

How many serious fishermen do you see trying to combine a "shelf capable" boat with water skiing for the family? Answer - NONE, because real fishermen have real priorities....

Kalin, Kalin, Kalin..... any body is capable of going and buying a Ford V8.
Two things here:
1) When there an HSV Clubsport available, why would you buy a Ford?
2) Just because you are older and wiser and have bought a V8, doesnt mean you know how to drive it.... look at Dick Johnson ;)

In saying this, the attached picture is the Cat in Question.... "Southern ######"
It was the first 560 Sportsman Made, Built for the 1985 gold coast boat show.
They apparantly received so many orders for this new style cat, that they took this boat back to the factory, stripped it, strengthened it and made another plug off it to keep up with production.
End result, this 560 series Sharkcat weighed 2.6 ton on trailer with next to no fuel and no fishing gear etc. (1/2 ton heavier than standard, and weighbridge tested) This is what gave Southern ###### her awesome ride... she was no ordinary 18ft Sharkcat.
It was perfectly balanced, and would out perform even other 560 series Cats, which were in essence, identical boats.

So, if you haven't specifically been in Southern ######, then you are talking standard commodore v's HSV... biased you say? nah... not in the slightest. Every word is true, but wherever you go you will get "knockers"..... People that already know everything... or so they think.

I love how people are so sure that certain thinks cant happen, just because they have not experienced it theirself....

In Tassie the swells are quite often long (except Bass Straight), so you literally are driving up and down hills. Makes a whole lot of difference, than enduring a short, sharp chop, which incidentally, Cats dont really like.

Ahoj, Mate, you are most welcome in the company of all cat owners.
Your Cat is unique, and it does you proud...cant ask for more than that.... and gee you can smile at the fuel savings.

Cheers

Pete

troy
19-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Sorry to post again but i have been to the reef in these boats
These are boats the 20 ft yalta- the 21 haines- the older version of the 575 cruies craft explorer- the 21 ft carribean-the 19r haines-565 haines
The hydrofields and others and the only boat that really got ahead of us was the formula but in the end the arrival time was not really significent.
That is my question with the cats.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
19-02-2006, 08:41 PM
G'day Troy.

The answer is 15 minutes.

Assuming that a Cat will maintain 35 knots

and

Assuming that a Monohull will maintain 24 knots.

The comfort level is the big plus with the cat.... no banging ... described as a magic carpet ride.

Cheers

Pete

seabug
19-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Hi Grand Marlin,
Thanks for reply.

"In saying this though.... what price do you put on safety if you are fishing very wide, or remote places? "

As fishing is out of Apollo Bay to Portland there is no point in going extra wide as bottom levels out in mid 70 metres

http://www.marine.csiro.au/LeafletsFolder/12tas/12.html

"If you are only a pretend fisherman, or are too scared to go wide, a mono is the choice for you."
The trouble with todays loungsters . No respect for their elders #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"So double the power, double the running costs in fuel and double the maintenance. "

"The comfort level is the big plus with the cat.... no banging ... described as a magic carpet ride. "

Looks like I would be OK with Col's Maxi for economy and these for the comfort.

http://www.bolsters.com/sp1-broc.htm

Regards
Seabug

Grand_Marlin
19-02-2006, 10:36 PM
Lol Seabug.... I have to have a little dig where I can to keep things interesting ;D ;D You cant have a fire without fuel ;)

Looks like you have yourself sorted... a couple of cotton wool wrap seats to imitate a cat ;D ;D ;D

You could sit on a banana crate in a cat and be just as comfortable :P

Seriously, give or take a bit, you will nearly double your running costs.

Four stroke motors will help, but then look at the price you add to initial purchase.... what ever way you look at it... larger twin engined cats will never be cheap.

To give you an idea... an average day - plane 8 miles, troll for 6 hrs (on one motor), plane 10 miles home:

My 560 Sharkcat with twin 110 evenrudes - 140 litres.

My 6.2 Kevlacat with twin 75 Mercs - 180 litres

My 6m Yalta Odessa monohull with single 130 yamaha - 100 litres.

My 18ft Plate Alloy with twin 40 evinrudes, 60 litres.

My 18ft Hydrofield with single 130 Johnson - 120 litres

Now, these are close estimates, as I had to recalculate the figures, as the boats were used in different areas, with different planing distances and trolling times, so dont anyone dare start quoting manufacturers fuel usage recommendations, cos I aint listening. It is a close comparrison / guide only.

I suppose where my Cat sentiments come from... we lost a boat off the south coast of Tassie (17ft Monohull) and were lucky to live through it. Holding your brother and watching him slowly go unconscious due to the cold is something you never forget....

Getting caught in 6 - 7 m seas and 60 knots of wind is no place for a 17ft Monohull... as we found out.... these southerly busters in tassie literally come from nowhere to cause these conditions.
The 4m seas and 40 knot winds I spoke of earlier were due to a southerly buster and took a dead calm sea to this state in around 15 minutes.

Hey Kallin - I bet you wish you had your tape measure..... ;D

In the same conditions that sank our monohull, the Cat would have undoubtedly got us home safe.

This is the big difference.

And thats why I will always have a Cat.

Cheers

Pete

Kalin
19-02-2006, 10:47 PM
For those that bequest something positive, then start giving some input to where you want this to go. I don't have all day and in between times you might have to amuse yourself.

To date we have a 18 foot sharkcat that weighs 2.6 tonne totally bare with a claimed speed of 30 knots in 4 metre 40 knot seas. Where it supposedly occured doesn't matter as no 18SC in that trim would have the legs. In fact and the long line of 18SC designs proves this is that there never has been a 18SC that really stood out. Simply reason being if there was there wouldn't have been the need to continue designing the things. A 2.6 tonne bare 18SC would be a dog and no wonder they have continued to design the hell out of the 18SC trying to achieve something that could match the rest of the stable. What ever was tried it never worked and was never even in the same league as the first 16SC. The 16SC actually behaved like a SC and about all that can be said for the 18 is which one? #

Honestly some have this ###### about cats that tend to outline a knowledge base that is lacking in many respects. Just because it is a Cat means nothing as there are some downright shockers. Some of the bigger SC don't perform like a cat should. Nine times out of ten it has a lot to do with power options as many of the longer SC simply don't have the same attributes as the mid range cats. You just can't take a narrow gutted SC like a 3700 and plant great bloody shaft desiels in it and expect the world. The number of shaft drive engines that have suffered engine failure due to water back through the exhausts as rest is amazing.

Even in reading some of the other cat material would make a person cringe. Someone with a pair of 75's on a 6.2KC? What was this person thinking? 75's on a 6.2KC would be flat out pushing it back up the tailer. Why the 6.2KC was even ever made would be a good question as there's just about nothing a 6.2KC can do that the 5.2KC can't match. One thing with the 5.2KC is they got it right from almost day 1.

The 23SC v 7.2KC is a totally one sided contest, totally different boats.
28SC v 23SC goes in favour of the 23 as for the extra few feet the weight completely kills the 28SC and this is quite noticeable in a heavy sea.

This thing about who leans which way? Like who cares what has it got to do with anything. A hookem turns in others turn out, there's no excuse in any of that. Can't say anything outstanding for the 7m hookem, with 135 4S's they go ok, the slit down the middle is a poor excuse to call it a cat but take a good long look of the stern and all it is is a round bilged mono with an excuse for a tunnel, no wonder the thing turns like a mono that's about all they are. And if anybody ever gets a 7m hookem at least get a proper trailer for the dam thing, can't stand anybody having to winch a cat on to a trailer. In any case a 6.2KC is more than a match for a 7m hookem.

Someone mentioned Hydrofields? No match for an equiv cat but can be awfully wet. The Blueprint 21 was by far a superior hull to the 21 Hydrofield but they just never took of. 27 hydrofield is the hydrofield benchmark.

As for some of the how much to buy, how much to run, how much more fuel etc? These are the typical stumbling points which many get hung up on and while that's your problem then it's really no point in you even contemplating a cat. Typical recreational people don't have the justification but if some of you 23 foot outboard mono owners was asked can we drop 30 baskets of spanner in your boat plus 30 traps, plus winch gear, carry 800 litres of fuel as well as travel with all that at 22-24 knots in mostly conditions that normal people tend to spend in the garden then you simply wouldn't be in the hunt. Many have a self activated barrier when it comes to rational thinking.

To also think you need a cat for the twin anything is pure fantasy as twin everythings can also make a mono just as capable.

Single engine SC? As long as your happy with 20 knots then it's all yours. Many have needed the hulls extended to suport the weight better and take some of the dogedness out of them. They make good boarding ladders if nothing else.

Still lots of things to go on with another time. Some of the stories would almost make you think this cat thing was something new but then I never thought they would get as bad as this.

KL #
# #

Grand_Marlin
20-02-2006, 12:18 AM
G'Day Kalin,
As you still have your Ausfish nappies on (6 Posts), you have unfortunately missed a number of other posts that hinted / stated a lot of this information about Cats.

Thats why I started this post, as all your information and experience on Cats is most welcome. #The other posts got $hitty because the topic digressed from the direct post topic - i.e. Dominators. #The topics got digressed as the fact was trying to be stated that:

"All Cats were not created equal"

You are dead right, and now is the time to air your knowledge as to why exactly.
Please explain to the audience as to why the Original Shark Cat 23 (7m) will kill a Kevlacat 7.2?
and
The way you expressed your opinion on the Hookems

THIS IS THE STUFF THAT WE ALL WANT TO KNOW #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I agree with the Hookem / Markham Whaler / Dominator quote.
They are a good boat, but fail if you try to drive them hard.

I have never discussed the topic of 75's on the 6.2 Kevlacat, as suprisingly until now, no one has yet bought it up. #(even the experts) #;)

The 6.2 planed easily due to design, but apart from stability, exuded very few Cat attributes. #The boat was bought with the 75's already on it, as that was all I could find in the Cairns area at the time. #I think V4 130's would have been ideal... V6 150's, maybe a bit heavy.
Oh, and one 75 will push it up the trailer.... found this out due to Racor filters, but thats another story. (See "Water in Fuel" Post)

The boat was quite ok or what it was doing - light tackle inshore game fishing / inshore reef fishing.

If you had asked me to take it out where there was the chance of copping a 30 - 40 knot blow? # no friggin way ... it would have been dangerous in these conditions with these motors.

Ride quality? #Average....ish... needed more power and more air under the tunnel, but I doubt even this would have lifted it to the ride comfort of the Sharkcat.

Another good point... the Balance of a Cat is CRITICAL to performance.
For instance... 560 Sharkcat with V4 90 / 115 evinrudes or 115 yamahas - big tick #;D (90 Yammies lacked a little initial grunt)

Set up a 560 Sharkcat with the bigger block 120 / 140 V4 evinrudes or V6 135 Mercs, and they were completely different boats, (for the worse) due only to the extra weight in the rear.

The Hydrofield 18' Jaguars are a very under rated boat
(never had the opportunity to step in a Blueprint 21)

Softer riding than a similar sized mono, as stable as a cat both underway and at rest, but will never match a cat for ride softness at speed. 2m seas will make you back off in a Hydrofield 18.
Economy is better than a cat due to single motor.

Now to quote:
"To also think you need a cat for the twin anything is pure fantasy as twin everythings can also make a mono just as capable. "

Now they say some people are not that smart but they can lift heavy things... I think this quote backs that up. #

If you are comparing a 23 mono twin rig with a 23 SC for raw sea handling ability.... maybe you should stick to lifting crab traps...

The comments on the 18 / 19 SC are correct for the majority.
The 560's were a lot better
The 560 Kevla Sharkcats were useless.
My boat weighed 2.6 on trailer.... and yes it would have been a dog if you drove it with the trailer still attached..... ;D

Drop 900 kg for the trailer and you are in business.

It was a beautiful boat, and stereotyping just doesnt cut it, I dont care how many 18's you have been in.
Out of the six 560's #and one 19 that I tested... this boat shone above all others by a country mile, and until you can ride in this boat, you cant possibly dispute my experiences in it.

And you are right.... many recreational people dont have the justification for the extra exense of a cat, but why not share your experiences on the financial side with us?

The fuel costs for recreational boaters are straight from the hip pocket, and are a very real concern.
We dont have the ways of increasing market price, and writing fuel costs off on tax.
Many, like Seabug, would obviously like a Cat, but at what trade off? #Own a big powerfull cat and can never afford to take it out? Or own a Plate boat and go whenever I like, weather permitting?

I have just bought a 23 SC with single diesel... want it for economy mainly (otherwise give me twin outboards any day), comfort, sea handling ability and fish raising ability when looking for Marlin.
I will be markedly slower than a twin outboard cat, but it will be interesting to see how it performs in this role.

Your comments are most welcome, as I said - if it relates to cats, it is relevant.

One thing though...
Quote:
"Some of the stories would almost make you think this cat thing was something new but then I never thought they would get as bad as this."

So this means that if YOU havent personally done it or seen it, then it cant possibly be done - right?

Cheers

Pete

FREYR
20-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I like what Webster are trying to do with their plate/pressed alloy Cats that only use one motor. Even if the concept still perhaps needs further tweaking, it is a good one.

A common criticism I have read of Cats is their habit of digging their noses in in a following sea. Is this valid? Or "anti-Cat propaganda"?

There is a nice looking 5metre Cat with twin 2003 Mercs on boatpoint...
Very tempting...

88fishframe
20-02-2006, 03:54 PM
Single engine alloy cats have been around for years - the legendary NQ Cats in single engine guise use a splitter box. I have one, excellent, no cavitation whatsoever.

When I got my first cat, everything else seemed like a dog.

ahoj
20-02-2006, 04:06 PM
There is nothing much for sale in the secondhand power catamarans I wander why.....

flatstrap
20-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Just adding a few more details to the debate; My first boat was a Quintrex Premiere 12'6' which I thought was fabulous.Thirty odd years later and on boat no.7, I can speak from personal experience.

My best mono was a Haines Hunter 773Sc with twin Merc 170's Stern Drive. Fabulous manners, and excellent handling. Finish and trim 100%.

In total I have owned 4 monos and 3 cats. My current cat is a Edencraft 7m with twin 200 Yammies.

For the mono's: Cheaper to run, lighter to tow, better trim and finish, handling (depends)
Against: Single systems: Fuel, electrical, non self draining

For the cats: Handling and sea ability, will GET YOU HOME
Against: Expensive to run, horrible to tow long distance, poor to average finish

You decide what your priorities are;
Mine is safety. I am 63 yrs old, fit & Healthy and STILL HERE>

Thanks for reading on...Flatstrap

FREYR
20-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Regardless of whether one finds them aesthetically pleasing, it seems beyond debate that CATS are serious, rugged performers.

I honestly cannot understand the hostility to them I so often see on various forums in discussions such as this one.

They are a timeless design, with seemingly only a heavy tow-weight and more expensive fuel bill to pay for it. A few bucks on fuel is not much of a price to pay for peace of mind when out wide.

my 2cents.

Darryl
20-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Freyer, i came across the old Southport bar in a follwing sea and did find that the shark cat did dip its anose a bit.

They do and thats my opinion.

Big nasty shit sea tho.

snappa
20-02-2006, 09:41 PM
only this sunday nite heading out to the banks a 20 shark cat could not make up any ground on us .. i was in a 21 ft haines.

arrival time was a different of 5/10 mins.

my experince i had a 18ft 560 series 1980 model
i believe MOST 18ft were fitted with 70 johno's

mainly owned by professional fisherman and crabbers
because mainly of their self draining hulls and also for bar crossing as most had to go throught bars to work.

early models shark cats only had the 20 transons so short shaft motors were common.

later in the years when fuel was cheaper the pros then fitted 115 and 140 hp motors..

trouble with the 140 were v4 and wide motors that didnt leave much room to FULLY turn the motors on full lock for movability..not good in the bar to make a decision change..

later again when fuel got dearer most when back to 85/90 hp with the extra long shaft..
i had my cat rebuilt with 25 inch transon and fitted the ex long shaft motors ,a decision made because of the type of fishing i do USING A SEA ANCHOR..back into the wave action. then there is the other problem with the earlt cats had no bouyance in the rear and the motors would have a drink of salt water.
i would always till the motors up when fishing

batteries motors 3 crew all standing down the back..??

i moved the batteries up font in the cabin to lose approx 50 kgs...

no to mention the ice box..?

how when u require a service they quote u $$$$$ thats for one motor so u have to double that cost plus every other bloody thing.....

a friend of mine had 140 hp on the back and it was fast IN A STRAIGHT LINE could not steer the cat at full throtle (what the point having big motors)

i travel to tempest for many years and my usage was approx 180 lts for a round trip of 130/140 k's.. 85 yamaha

i also fished with a mono hull a 17 ft with 140 lts usage was approx 120 lts

i am quoting early model motors NOT late models

one motor will only get u out of trouble ....

my cat would not plane on one motor....

85 hp had no trouble getting the cat up and going (their not speed boats)

i will think other things but thats all on the matter as i see it..

would i have another cat

BLOODY HELL YES..>>> :)

snappa
20-02-2006, 09:47 PM
ps

i forgot to mention the SPRAY at the back of the cats..... the motors got to be snorkeled to avoid the inside of the carb's corroding...

Kalin
20-02-2006, 09:55 PM
Well it appears we are on little cats? That's ok as many have given them an over expectionist capability that way exceeds many of them. The difference between a good cat and an ordinary cat is very onscure and probably one reason why many of those who tried to break into building cats failed. I hate to say this but even though Haines designed and built some quite good mono's the cat game just wasn't a Haines thing and didn't last all that long.

The reasons for some of the makers folding is probably as long and tall as some of the cat tales. I do believe maker used the banana crate style but went belly up, literally.

Now and anybody who thinks 6-7 m seas and 60 knot winds is cat country best think again as the worst mono with the best skipper will probably survive the best cat with someone totally inexperienced and out of control. I've seen some ridiculous comments but they really aare getting worse. What is it that makes some come out with utterly outlandish comments like this, no wonder people get a bit confused.

There has never been a true statement in that all cats are not created equal, some are downright dangerous but keeping with most want to say, with little cats.

Did I say a 23SC would kill a 7.2KC? I don’t think so but if some took it that way then I might reiterate.

What I said was the 23SC v 7.2KC is a totally one sided contest, totally different boats. Yes they are totally different boats but where did it say the 23SC would kill a 7.2KC? The 23SC is simply no match for the 7.2KC as the 7.2KC has it all over any 23SC ever built. The 7.2 is a much bigger vessel, has a lot more beam and simply dwarfs a 23SC in size, capability, carrying capacity the lot. The day I see a 23SC with a pair of 200-230hp shaft drive diesels completely under floor and equiv fuel load a 7.2 will carry then we might discuss this again.

Now this isn’t to say I agree with shaft drives setups in 7.2KC as by all accounts they were never ever designed for this configuration and to this day the 7.2 is by far a better boat with outboards than shafts or I/O.

Hookems? Well just take a gander of a 7m hookem from the rear, it’s really more a mono hull shape apart from a narrow slit down the middle in an attempt to give more floatation but basically compromises the fundamental high tunnel cat design relative to the beam, the dam thing is too narrow but this is what designers have to trade off, proper thinking, best practice against something somebody can stick on a trailer and cart down the road within leag limits. When designers start designing cats to suit trailer/road requirements then they might as well give the game away. This is where the beam of the 7.2KC leaves everything else for dead but also fails the 8.2KC as an 8.2 simply does not have the traits that a 7.2 has. The 8.2KC is no where as good as the 7.2KC and maybe one reason why they started making the 7.2 hull a bit longer even though I don’t agree with this thinking these longer hulls built on the same theme are probably the better boat, well to a certain point anyway. Length is not always what it is made out to be.

Now whoever put those 75’s on a 6.2KC should be committed, what were they thinking? As for the 6.2 being able to easily plane due to the design? Now how about you fill us in on just what design this was? A pair of 75’s on a 6.2KC wouldn’t pull the skin off a rice pudding and what's even worse they're mercs? 5.2KC run real well with 70 yams but those that went with mercs opted for 90’s and this was on a 5.2 let alone a 6.2. KC themselves never recommended mercs for the main reason I understood to be differences in leg length? Mercs simply didn't perform well or suit KC's.

Some obviously have never been in a 6.2KC with a pair of V4 140’s/130’s, totally a waste of power, simply totally unusable. Might be the same weight as 115’s in yams case but anything more than 115’s on a 6.2KC is way over done. Now if Racor filters let anybody down then you have to ask yourself just one question, what did I do wrong?

In any case this all appears to becoming a self justification based on comments previously made. Trying to justify any 18SC in 40 knots or such at what speed? Don't ever take everybody for granted, some will laugh long and loud.

Now with some of the other comments all I can say is some people can’t read and what they do read they can’t understand?

Now to put things into some rational perspective, a person doesn’t have to see any of what some claim to know what is possible and what is lets say a little to well and truely exaggerated. A person only has to know what any 18SC could do with 100/115 of the day then work backwards and to make some of the outlandish claims I’ve read here points to an extreme lacking. And no if a boat can’t manage 40 knots in a straight line on a good day then it simply isn’t going to do 40 knots in some of the conditions claimed. Simply can not believe that anybody would make such a claim as 40 knot winds from scratch in 15 minutes has no relation to rolling swells in any form it’s simply crap and no 18SC is going to be doing 40 knots or 30 knots in these types of conditions. Maybe it’s no wonder cats have a mystic way beyond their real capability, sure they can do heaps but please spare me the agony of having to listen to over zealous comments. It is exactly this type of nonsense that has most people not knowing what is real and what is not. Over the years some have not done cats any favours at all especially with much of the nonsense bandied around over the years and still going on today.

And please could someone explain why some want to talk about boat weights including trailer, what has that got to do with anything, anything at all, it is such an absurd comment for anybody to make when talking about the performance of a boat and include the weight of the trailer. Maybe been reading way too many write ups?

And as for Hydrofield, the 16 and 18 Jags were designed for twins and it’s really disappointing seeing these fitted with stupid offset singles or on-line ultra long legs to beat the air. The single setup defeats the whole concept of what Hydrofield were really all about.

Lets see some rational comments.

KL

ahoj
20-02-2006, 10:00 PM
This cat chat has attracted 46 comments and almost 800 readers so there seem to be quite an interest in cats..... The bystanders may one day become proud cat owners......---where are the s/hand cats....

Ahoj

Kalin
20-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Spray on the back of cats, some were downright notorious for it and a cat that required a snorkel was a cat you didn't want. There was no outboard manufacturer in the beginning that would warranty any outboard on any cat. There were a couple of makes/models that really stood out with destroying motors. KL

Kalin
20-02-2006, 10:10 PM
S/hand cats? This is the difference between mass production and custom built as practically the only way to get a new cat is pay the money and wait in line, something like 12-18 months these days.

Most cats do not loose value anything like mass produced designs but like everything there are exceptions to this rule. It would be fairly correct to say that if you comapred probably the 2 best known makers SC/NC and KC then KC holds the best on the s/hand market.

KL

Kalin
20-02-2006, 10:14 PM
And snappa then there were some of those little b's that had no buoyancy anywhere, especially in the bows but at least it was easy to change props without tilting the engines, just get someone to stand on the bow, props would pop right up. KL

Kalin
20-02-2006, 10:21 PM
Anybody into the old Stessyl tri-hull? Don't see all that many of them around these days? Many of them have probbaly missed the yearly re-weld. Bit narrow but the 7m model had good beam and was head and shoulders over the 5 & 6m versions.

Where have they all gone? KL

TheDeepSix
20-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I have a KC 5.2 and one reason I bought it was I sought advice from Pete Webster (F & B mag). He reckoned it was his favourite allrounder for an offshore boat, considering ease of towin/seakindness etc. For it's length it's performance continues to surpise me.
Cheers

Tiga

ahoj
21-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Dressing up a 6.0 m cat with 2x150 hp plus motors is a looonacy. If a loaded cat weighs 2 tonne then proporionately and by calculation max 2x 50hp should be correct.. all boats have a limit in performance once you hit the top you are exposing yourself to a hazard.. Once cat breach its not easy to take it out of such discomfort zone other then hitting the reverse. A coasting speed for 6.0 should be between 15 -20 knotts or up to 40 km/h Good Skipper will judge the speed and the wave terrain to make use of the situation. we all hear stories of lucky escapes and often we forget that it is our own doing-- blaming the boats configuration.
No good running a cat at 100km/h when the old King NEPTUNE places a invissible sign of 30 km/h...... Riding a cat at silly speeds defeats its purpose for safety, ecconomy and comfort ----- ease up..

Ahoj

ahoj
21-02-2006, 12:29 AM
5.2 K.C

http://www.sealibrary.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSENG57_prev.pdf

kevlacat
21-02-2006, 03:17 AM
G'day Guys again this is my first post on this forum, so please go easy on me. # :)

After owning several mono hulled boats ranging in size from 18 - 23 ft ( All GRP) and spending a fair bit of time in Ally boats I picked up a 6.2 mt Kevlacat just on a year ago.
The Kc is powered by twin 115hp Yamaha 2st running 19'' stainless props.
The ride this hull gives me IMHO is far superior in most sea conditions to the mono hulls I have owned or had experience in.

Running in a big following sea I find the cat can tend to "fall in to a hole" on occasion, this I believe is caused by the lift the hulls produce at speed. (Maybe I should slow down)
To be fair I am also comparing this to a heavy 23ft glass boat with a 23 deg+ deadrise running a V8 sterndrive which had a cruise speed of around 22 knots.
That is probably the only real negative I can think of with the Kc.

Now the positives.

Deckspace for the length of the boat is second to none.
The stability of the boat at rest with 3 anglers on one side plus the advantage of a self-draining deck.

Performance, best economy is at 4200rpm 27 - 28 knots at 2lt per nm +oil. (Just over the fuel burn of the sterndrive at 22 kn).

Will cruise comfortably at 30+ knots to the sacrifice of fuel economy.

I do not believe boats running two motors double there fuel burn, the motors simply do not work as hard unless they are running too smaller motors for the boat size.
An example of this is talking to a guy in a 5.8mt Kc running twin 90 2st was getting this same fuel burn at around 22 -24 knots

I live just north of Perth on the West Coast and get our fair share of wind and seas, IMHO I would not hesitate to recommend a cat to anyone that wanted a boat that got them out 25 - 30nm and back safely and in reasonable comfort in a trailerable size boat. (Commonsense must still prevail)

Steve

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 08:40 AM
G'day Freyr.

I think a lot of the hostility comes from people talking, without having experienced a good Cat... those that have never say a bad word about them.

For me, the Peace of Mind feeling you get when you are in a Cat, means everything.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 08:52 AM
G'day Snapper.

The 85 / 90 Yammies were fitted to a lot of 18's and there was nothing wrong with these at all. The difference in initial "up and go" performance between a V4 90 Evinrude and a 3Cyl 90 Yamaha, is very noticeable. That was my only point. 70's I dont like on an 18... 90's are fine.

The Buoyancy in the stern is a bitch.... especially with the bigger motors, and 150kg of fish on the deck, sees it awash quite often.

I fitted drop curtains to fill in the rear of the canopy... this helped a lot with the mist.

Cheers

Pete

Kalin
21-02-2006, 09:51 AM
Kevlacat Steve, Congratulations that's quite a good outline.

Those numbers are exactly what you should expect with 115's and 19" props and one reason why I would recommend you consider changing those props for 17's.

Why KC fit 19" props to these rigs I am not quite sure, it is because they come standard? is it because when water tested out of the factory with minimal fuel, minimal people, no gear they rev out ok or is there this fixation with speed that impresses buyers?

4200rpm at 27-8 knots with those motors/props says it all. Too much speed for not enough revs and that boat fully loaded would be flat out hitting 5000rpm? The thing is on a bad day and contary to what a few mistakingly think you are going to have to come off the throttles down into the high 10, low 20's in some conditions and at these speeds those engines will be suffering and well out of their working power range.

Get anywhere near 3500rpm with those engines and the fuel usage miles/litre will stagger you.

17's could actually keep your top end speed intact, they will increase your cruise rpm, they will keep the low end cruise speed in a reasonable rev range and you will have more revs to play and contary to the theory that more revs equals more fuel it doesn't always work like that not with a 2S outboard anyway.

The thing is to beg, borrow, steal a pair of SS 17K and try it, it just might surprise you but in any case if they don't keep looking as you need to ditch those 19's. KL

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 09:52 AM
G'day Kallin,

Quote:
"In any case this all appears to becoming a self justification based on comments previously made. Trying to justify any 18SC in 40 knots or such at what speed? Don't ever take everybody for granted, some will laugh long and loud."

And laugh at this comment, did my Ab Diver mate, who fishes the south coast of Tassie in an 18ft Cat.

They are regularly carrying a ton+ of Abalone in big seas.

Self justification is not the issue, nor is being over zealous.

But, if you say it can't be done... then it cant be done - one cant open a closed mind.

The hydrofield 18 is great with twin 70's, but are still fine with a single V4 / V6 25".
Hydrofield has the advantage over a Cat, by being guite capable with a single motor, and they are considerably lighter.
More affordable. more manageable, more towable for the average fisho with a Cruiser, than a Cat ever would be.
You make it sound like a single motor is a cardinal sin....

Weight on trailer... gee, I wonder what relevance that has to any trailerboat fisho....

The 6.2 was set up by the factory as a demo, at a time of high fuel prices, to prove that a Cat didnt need big horsepower to push it. Demo was done with 10 people aboard, to prove their point.

Conjecture is rife, but the original Sharkcat 23 was, and still is considered by many to be the benchmark by which all others are judged.

Cheers

Pete

Tomcat
21-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Just thought I'd drop a note to offer my erxperience with my cat. After having more than a dozen different monohulls, I now own a 1996 Sailfish 5.5 metre catamaran with twin 60Hp Johnson 2 stroke engines, which I have been quite pleased with all in all. There are certainly pro's and con's to every boat and I would agree with some of the comments made in earlier posts with respect to higher operational costs with two motors (but certainly not double) and more attention required to running with a following sea. The upside is that they do offer a good ride, except perhaps when taking the waves head on. Mind you mine is a 1996 model and the newer designs offer a bit deeper sponsons so may not have this issue.

If considering purchasing a new cat I would suggest the following:
- Make sure the boat will plane on one motor. I typically run out of the Baliina or Brunswick bar and my boat will not plance one on engine. These bars can be wicked and it would be foolhardy to try to come in one one motor except on the calmest of days.
- Get a cabin you can walk around. My boat does not provide a space for one's feet to get around the side cabin to go to the front of the boat. This is a royal pain when you have a fish on and the fish runs to the front of the boat, especially if at anchor.
- Get big pods and a walkway between them. The walkway is excellent and serves as a great place to untangle lines from props or drag big fish in without gaffing them if they are to be photographed and released.
- Unless you fish alone, get dual bait boards. This is another great feature that keeps the baiting time to a minimum and the fishing time max'd.
- Get zip open clears. Because the cat sits high in the water, it is affected by the wind and can skate across the surface of the water, resulting in a high drift speed. We combat this with a sea anchor but sometimes even that is not enough.
- If buying new, get involved in the boat building process to get the boat the way you want it. For my next cat, I will get rod holders on the end of the marlin board (the walkway between the motors), kill tanks below deck, the batteries in the cabin to better distribute weight, a designated convenient place for the gaff, a deck wash system, and additional rod holders in the rocket launchers.
- I would also get the segregated systems such as the dual fuel tanks and electrical systems, but get a crossover so both motors can run off one fuel tank for example.

Before buying any boat I would recommend taking a ride in one of that model. Also consider the peripheral issues, such as the tow vehicle. The only reason I really need my 4WD is to tow the boat, so this is an additional peripheral expense.

Regarding the Sailfish brand, I think it is great, but have not experienced other cats. I do recognise that with aluminium, one can make some modifications that may prove far more challenging with a glass cat. Many of the Sailfish cats are custom made to accommodate specific requests but not having had experience with other cats, this may be available elsewhere as well.

With respect to the cat trailers, I think most are drive one and work well for this purpose. Mine is an aluminium trailer so does not rust, but it only has two axles which may not be adequate as a flat tyre leaves the leaf springs on the ground. Larger tyres mean poorer handling when towing and more water required at the ramp.

With respect to the conditions my cat has handled, we typically fish off the continental shelf when the currents are not too strong. Since it takes a long time to get in, we have been caught out a bit longer than I would ahve liked sometimes when the weather takes a turn. This has left me in big seas at times and on one occasion the Coast Guard thought I sank when coming through the Ballina bar because they could not see me between the massive waves. Not ideal and I would not want to be in that situation again, but if caught out, it is comforting to know the vessel is seaworthy.

I look forward to comments from other cat owners regarding their particular vessels and the advantages / disadvantages of each.

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Flyin Tiger mentions Peter Webster.

Pete is another Cat fanatic, owns / edits Fisherman & Boatowner & Australian Boating Mags and knows Cats inside out - loves the 5.2 Kevlacat and also rates the original 23ft Sharkcat as his favourite.

Two very good choices I feel.

Nice rig Kevlacat,
I loved the deckspace on the 6.2, Mine lacked power, but we could troll / bottomfish / dive / carry all supplies for a weekend out with 4 blokes and be quite comfortable.
Comments as to why the 6.2 was ever invented.... I dont agree.... they are more than capable when set up right.

Over time, you learn what boat suits what purpose... the 6.2 for recreational fishing? Thumbs up every time.

Cheers

Pete

Kalin
21-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Tomcat, There are very few cats that will plane on one motor, in fact there are very few twin mono's that will plane on one engine as the requirment to plane on one engine is not something anybody expects to do so opts for twins of a size equiv to if they were running a single. To contemplate planing on one engine then both engies would have to be a lot bigger than would normally be required. The argument is why fit engines a lot larger then required if you really don't need that power, most vessels can't carry the power anyway for hopefully an event that might never occur.

Kalin
21-02-2006, 10:33 AM
Now I have a very good idea of what a 23SC twin 200's behaves with 30 baskets of spanners and at 30-35kg a basket close enough to a tonne. The boys would have to iced down for 15 minutes from having convulsions on the deck if anybody ever suggested to them a 18SC could handle a tonne in good conditions let alone trying the rolly polly way home. KL

Kalin
21-02-2006, 10:37 AM
The biggest mistake Hydrofield owners do is over power them, simply can not handle or use excess power. 18 Jag with twin 60's or 70's is about ideal, anything more is simply a waste of money. In fact this is one attribute of a Hydrofield is low power for meaningfull performance. An 18HF with a single 90 goes real well and yet you see 16HF with single 150's and you really have to wonder why some people do this, isn't based on any experience that's for sure. KL

Kalin
21-02-2006, 10:46 AM
As for the 6.2KC 70's were simply never in the chase, even though the 2 bottom of the line models were costed with 70's as standard, Tourno with 90's and 115's optional. KC pushed this thing about KC's being kevlar and light weight and only required 90's for satisfactory performance where in affect the 90's were very marginal, they worked but 115's are about what 6.2 should be running. KL

Kalin
21-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Weight on trailer... gee, I wonder what relevance that has to any trailerboat fisho....

Not a thing when your trying to justify some ridiculous speed in conditions that a Cat twice the size would have problems with. 2.6 tonne on trailer doesn't mean a thing and was not being used and was not mentioned in conjunction to trailering or towability. KL

snappa
21-02-2006, 03:34 PM
kalin... are u a previous ausfisher by the name of ..........????

i believe so....

insideout
21-02-2006, 04:12 PM
after owning many single hulls , the last one being 7 mtrs in length platey, all i got from them was a small hernia.... after getting kevlacat 2400, hernia all better! and beer not frothy!!! horses for courses i guess........

insideout
21-02-2006, 04:19 PM
snappa, i was thinking the same.............

bigmack
21-02-2006, 04:48 PM
No one really gave a comment about rides they had in conditions - everyone seemd to be on about this merit vs that merit.

I have been in a few boats over the years and some terrible rides for sure - the best ride by far, leaving absolutely everything for dead was a trip home in nasty S/W conditions from the banks. Type of Boat KevlaCat - Coastal 24 FT or 25ft cant remember.

We went pretty quick to get along the tops of the swell and chop and I sat down in the back corner drinking a beer and didnt lose a drop, with a big smile on my dial. The conditions were that bad at the banks that a few people said its OK we can leave any time your ready - skipper said no problems / all OK / boat will handle no problems. We fished five people in relative comfort, plenty of room for all, stable in a crappy sea. We did not slow down once on the way home and I was just astounded at how good that boat was. Nicely finished - well built - nicely kitted out etc

if I had the money - Id buy a Kevlacat.

Phill

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks Tomcat,
The Sailfish Cats, I have always admired, but have never had the opportunity to get out in one. #It is good to hear it is performing well for you.
The fitout etc you speak of is certainly personl choice, but only experience in that boat will tell you what you need, for sure.

Planing on one motor as Kalin said is nearly impossible... Also, the handling changes significantly on one motor. #Try being on the plane and pulling one motor back to neutral.... they just want to screw sideways, which is understandable.

The Hydrofields are an easily driven hull, that do not like to be pushed hard.
Sit them up at 23 ish knots and they will handle almost anything.... try and push them to 28 knots and they are all over the place.... still stable, but jump up in the nose and bang hard.

Kalin... your thoughts are duly noted. ::)

Bigmack,
A lot of people say the same... no one believes just how good the ride in a good cat is, until they experience it.
As you said with the conditions, it gets very rough and you think it is time to head home.... when you get the cat up and running in these conditions, it is like a walk in the park for them.
Even myself, after spending a lot of years in a lot of cats, they never fail to amaze me, and always put a smile on my face.

Note for Troy:
Mate, it is the rough conditions that the cats really shine.
Calm water brings the performance of a cat / monohull a lot closer together.

The stability of the cats I really enjoy.
When you have a Marlin at the side of the boat, you end up with the angler, tracer, tagger and two onlookers all on the one side of the boat.... the cat hardly even notices the weight on the one side.

Cheers

Pete

insideout
21-02-2006, 07:23 PM
after fishing out wide on the weekend , on the way back i decided to open the suzis up on the kc , much to the dismay of my mate ,for he had not been on a cat for a while and being in a tinny frame of mind, (for thats what he owns ),thought we were going to get pounded. after i open it up it was like floating on a cloud, and me mate was egging me on to go faster! we experenced alot of short ,sharp chop here that day in the arvo, but you would never notice it in the boat. in fact by the time we got home,all was asleep!! i also have a mate who owns a sharkcat on which we fished out of, and ,the ride is much the same,but the only difference is the fitout, and the fact that his was a ex-diving ,fishing boat 20 years ago!!! testament to reliability and design of cats.

88fishframe
21-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Everyone is hyped up about Cats, and I'm also a believer :)

However, what about a good story regarding a mono hull? Here's one, my old fibreglass half cabin is sitting in my mates back yard as a converted cubby house for his kids. They find it handles extremely well even in very windy conditions. Fuel economy is terrific and they have no towing problems. ;D That's about the best I can say on the matter.

p.s. I can't believe the interest this thread generated !!!

insideout
21-02-2006, 07:33 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D awesome!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

troy
21-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Ohay i never really wanted to come into this thread as i have stated before all jokes aside the cats will out perform the monos.
But here is a question i would like all cat owners to answer honestly.
I have only really experienced this once in all the years i have owned a boat.
We struck a bad sea quite a few years ago and they were huge swells that big that the boat in front of me i was losing site of it even though it was about 100 meters in front of me.
Now my question is if the boat in front of me was a cat and it could slice through those waves then i am sorry i would have to disagree with all you cat owners.
It would have been impossible.
Sorry but that is the way i see it.
Troy

snappa
21-02-2006, 07:42 PM
GO THE CATS....

bugga

its not THE football season YET ....

;D ;D ;D

88fishframe
21-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Troy, I think we have to keep it in perspective !!!! If the swells are like the ones in the movie 'A Perfect Storm', then even the QE11 would have a hard time ;D

Kalin
21-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Troy,

Since when does it get rough inside the reef? Now are you inside the reef or outside the reef? Big swells aren't what rough is all about they are only big swells and never hurt anybody, rather good fun isn't it when you've got the time to enjoy that type of sea.

Anybody heard of Alan Lucas? Now Alan has travelled the Qld coast for more years than many of you here have been around, he is getting on in years these days but Alan always maintained that inside the reef you would be lucky to experience anything much more than 6 foot seas and in the numbers of miles I've done in all types of conditions he probably isn't all that far wrong. If it's any bigger then there shouldn't be anybody out there to know.

Inside the reef isn't a big sea, might be a mongrel sea but it's not a big sea and not as big as some would make it out to be. If it's a big sea then you won't see 100 metres in front of you or in any direction for that matter. KL

insideout
21-02-2006, 08:11 PM
whats the biggest sea you been in on your travels ,kalin?

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Kalin... for a new member, you seem to know an awful lot of personal detais of other members....

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 08:16 PM
88 fishframe.... that is legendary about the monohull in the back yard !

Troy, the offer was made before, and still stands. If you are ever in Brisbane, come for a run in my cat... it will take the mystery out of it for you.

Grand_Marlin
21-02-2006, 08:18 PM
And Kalin... what is your idea of the perfect cat?

troy
21-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Kalin you obviously do not know to much about sea conditions.
Yes pal it was inside the reef and it was a big northerly.
So do not dispute things the way you do.
What reason would i have to say something that was not true.
It was not a dangereous sea but it was the way i described it.
I do not make long winded posts like you do that i for one can not understand.
Do not try to shove your garbage down my throat as i always call things as i see them.
Troy

troy
21-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Hey Kalin any bigger than 6 ft seas and you should not be out in them.
What do you own a rubber duckie.
Troy

Kalin
21-02-2006, 08:46 PM
Worried about a bit of a northerly, well you were well inside the reef weren't you. That the good thing about northerlies the last half mile is always the worst. If they worry you then just stay offshore they can't hurt you out there.

Roughest sea? now that's a difficult one, is that what it felt like or what it actually was, very big difference as many should know? I suppose when you can't see the end of the arms then things could be better.

Perfect cat is around 50 foot.

KL

fishingrod
21-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Ive been reading here for a while and ive decided to post.

Ive spent about 100hours behind the wheel of a 1988 SharkCat #700 with twin 175HP 2 strokes (non counter rotating). About 12 hours of this time was a offshore delivery down the NSW coast and the rest nearshore and in open bays/rivers. I dont make myself out to be a cat expert, but since everyone is throwing a comment in, ill join the party.

This vessel was built to survey with a Lloyds Certificate and carried approx 480 litres of fuel in 2 tanks. It was originally a open runabout and had a custom alloy hard top fitted.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/sharkside.jpg

Cornering ability is lousy at speed. It will not turn sharp at high speed >25 knots even if you play with the wheel and throttles. Perhaps counter rotating may help.
Max speed is 48-50 knots (GPS verified) in the right conditions and trim. 44knots is easy to achieve in the calm or in a small chop.
Normal cruise as follows:
3200-3500 rpm approx 23-25 knots
4000-4100rpm approx 27-30 knots
Average fuel burn was 25-30 litres per hour/per engine at these cruise speeds. This is a average only and includes planing, general idling around and other manourvers over a 1 hr period. If you have a heavy foot the fuel usage goes up significantly.

The ride offshore was very good in normal rolling swells. Provided you had enough speed to get some lift (at least 20 knots) you could feel the air cushioning. There were times when i (and the deckies) braced themselves for landings only to have a very smooth and controlled bump at the bottom of the trough.
Offshore into a short steep head sea the boat would "slam" depending on your speed. Caught on the way down the coast we experienced 3-4 metre swells that were very steep and short. At times only 1 boat length apart. We were taking them from bow-on to up to 10 deg offset. The boat literally fell off the top of the wave and would slam down. I remember looking at the GPS and noticed we were doing between 3 and 6 knots for a period of a time. It was a very unpleasant ride but the boat still felt controllable. If one (or both) motors were to have failed it would have been a very different scenario. Im not sure how it would have coped with limited manourvourability.

These are the waverider print outs from the day of our trip down the NSW coast. Between Newcastle and Broken Bay. I believe we honestly experienced shorts swells of about 3-5 metres.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/sydwavesmallfileaa.jpg

As you can see if we got caught futher up the coast, the waves would have been 4-7 meters that day.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/CrowdyWavesmallfileaaa.jpg

There was a comment about high re-sale values.

S/hand cats? ............ Most cats do not loose value anything like mass produced designs but like everything there are exceptions to this rule. It would be fairly correct to say that if you compared probably the 2 best known makers SC/NC and KC then KC holds the best on the s/hand market. #
KL
Here is a copy of the original invoice (hull only) You can make your own decision as to what it would be worth today.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/sharkCatModInv.jpg

Snorkles were also mentioned

i forgot to mention the SPRAY at the back of the cats..... the motors got to be snorkeled to avoid the inside of the carb's corroding...

Here is a photo of our snorkles fitted. They were fitted after a similar boat apparently stalled (and capsized) after ingesting saltwater during a heavy bar crossing when a wave broke over the boat.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/sharkrearsmallfile.jpg

The inlets are in the rear compartment with the oil bottles.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/sharksnorkoil.jpg

Our boat got fitted with PermaTrims. This apparently was going to reduce the amount of mist sucked back into the cockpit. My opinion is neutral as whether they helped or not. The boat handled fine with or without them.

Digging their noses?

.......... A common criticism I have read of Cats is their habit of digging their noses in in a following sea. Is this valid? Or "anti-Cat propaganda"? ...
I have HEARD stories of this happening in the original SC18s and 4.9M Markham Whalers.(and also the older 4.7/5.2m Seafarer monos)
The SharkCat 700 never buried its nose. Sure i may have had water slosh over the front deck before. But definatly not burying and scooping the water up.

The comment about burying one spoonson.

....... only thing if i was to say something about them is that on occasions one sponson would dig in and water would come up over the front side ......

Yes i have had this happen to me once. I cannot remember what angle we were to the swell, but one side dug into the wave. My deckie freaked. We were doing approx 20-25 knots. The boat tilted heavly to port. Water came up over the port gunnel and it appeared the wave was over side panel of the windscreen. Im sure we did not bury that far. But all we could see out that window for a 5 second period was green water. Within a few seconds i have knocked a few hundred rpm off the throttle and the boat leveled out and kept going like nothing had happened.

Rescue Groups have traditionally used SharkCat style boats and still do. However if you look around there are lot of new generation monos and large RIB's appearing on the rescue scene in towns that have a bar to cross. Perhaps the swing is going away from twin hulls.

cheers
Rod

ahoj
21-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Hydrofield Marine Pty Ltd has been deregisterd

I thought I could make a difference, and help resurrect a great Australian boat, from obscurity. I was wrong, I wasn't allowed to make a difference and sadly, the losers are you!

Sincerly Yours

Erwin Chvojan
February 7th 2004.

Kalin
21-02-2006, 09:55 PM
That's a bit of a classic, even modern with the straight stem line. Snorkels they really annoy me on cats.

Rescue groups have been forced into surveyed vessels by the ever concerned goverments and the days when little cats did the job quite nicely thank you very much are almost a thing of the past.

Some interesting comments worthy of note in that outline. KL

troy
22-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Grand Marlin if i am down your way i will take you up on your offer not just to see how well your boat handles but to meet you and have a few coldies with you.
The sea i described was true and the boat in front of me was my brothers and we just could not get up on the plane all you coud do was climb up them and drop down in them and this is where i would lose sight of my brothers boat which to one member disputes.
Where we launch our boats you have to rely on the tides and we have a channel that is dredge by local boat club members and is about a 2 klms long and vert narrow and shallow and if you have a northerly or nor wester blowing then you take them over the top at an idle as you would bottom out trying to get up on the plain.
If Kalin states we do not get seas any bigger than 6 feet inside the reef then i would have to say he lost the plot many moons ago.
If we do get the chance to go for a run in your boat in the sea i mentioned and it performed like many of you have stated then i would be the first to admit i was wrong.
Looking forward to the ride and coldies.
You wont offer me tea and scones like DR has will you.
Troy

DR
22-02-2006, 07:52 AM
You wont offer me tea and scones like DR has will you.
Troy

they may be really special scones :o :o

88fishframe
22-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Did someone say scones?

DR
22-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Did someone say scones?

mmmmm scones!

ahoj
22-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Let us elaborate on the scones business-- its about time to change the subject

;D ;D Ahoj

Grand_Marlin
22-02-2006, 04:43 PM
G'day Troy,

Nope, no scones.... I didnt even offer you a beer ;D

Just a ride in the boat.....

Just joking Troy.... Always a cold beer here, and I think we could even fire up the Barbie.

We could cook some of the flying fish that I caught by hand when we were so far up in the air when jumping the cat off 40ft waves off Hawaii one day... ;)

Cheers

Pete

dfox
22-02-2006, 05:12 PM
[quote author=Kalin link=1140214042/75#80 date=1140515884]Troy,

Since when does it get rough inside the reef? Now are you inside the reef or outside the reef? Big swells aren't what rough is all about they are only big swells and never hurt anybody, rather good fun isn't it when you've got the time to enjoy that type of sea.

My bloody oath it gets rough inside the reef, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool. Having commercially fished both inside and a majority of the time outside the reef i'll testify to the fact that big seas and swells for that matter do occur inside. Storms and cyclones can be really bad but a good blow from the right dirrection can really sought you out.
By the way i was in a cat in those crap conditions, not a 23 footer but a 34 footer...foxy

Grand_Marlin
22-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Now thats what I call a trailerboat !

Onya Foxy ;D

youngfisho
22-02-2006, 07:11 PM
is the tow vehicle a tractor?

what breed of cat is that. looks like a 34 foot noosa cat but am not sure

andrew

troy
22-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Dfox glad you came into this #as i was starting to think i was the only one that believes that it does get rough inside the reef.
The shipping channel is inside the reef in my area and for anyone to makes stupid statements like the seas do not get any higher then 6 ft could put boaties at risk .
Troy

troy
22-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Lets put this thread to bed.
The cats going by members comments out class the monos.
End of story.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
22-02-2006, 07:53 PM
G'day Fishingrod,

What a great post - thank you.

I guess the Cat would be worth at least as much as you paid for it back in '88.

A lot of the rescue organisatios are obtaining smaller boats, of all different styles.
I think this is mainly a fuel cost issue?
Most in Qld seem to still have the big cat (a lot of cougar cats) and they use their smaller boats for near shore rescues / breakdowns on calmer days.
When the going gets tough, they still rely on the cats.

I bet you would have some stories to tell re: rescues that got a bit hairy?
Would be good to hear your tales.

Cheers

Pete

dfox
22-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Andrew- its a nustar comet and yes its a tractor. Brilliant boat, of all the cats ive been in it rates my number one. Cruises at 26knotts ,top speed of 32 knotts, range of 600 plus nautical miles, love it...foxy

Grand_Marlin
22-02-2006, 08:07 PM
G'day Foxy,
While you are here, how did the boat go with the new 150's?

Troy, I have fished up your way quite a bit (Cairns)... maybe my tape measure is stuffed, but sittin on the flybridge of the 28 Bertram we were on, and you couldnt see anything but water around you when in the troughs.... rates a little bigger than 6ft in my books.

craigie
22-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Foxy,

Rather large size cat that one, " Like a tiger "!!!
If it's going to be rough, that's the one you want to be onboard !!

Craigie.

dfox
22-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Pete- the engines go well, plenty of power, although the run in period is bloody annoying having to alter the throtle regularly, im still out on the fuel usuage yet, i wont know for sure until i refuel and sit down a add the figures, but i recon it was a bit heavier on juice compared to the 115's.
Have to get used to the speed thou, sitting on 3900 revs which the engines seem to be at there sweetest im doing 29 -30 mile an hour.
Heading out the other night into a head sea she landed hard a few times because i was going to fast and was getting airbourne a bit ...foxy

fishingrod
22-02-2006, 09:34 PM
Peter ....Thanks for the feedback :)

I guess the Cat would be worth at least as much as you paid for it back in '88.
My group wasnt the first owner. It spent its first 13 years in the shed shown in the pictures. So its been kept out of the water and weather and is in pretty good condition.
We got a good price when we bought it as we bought it from a fellow organisation.

A lot of the rescue organisatios are obtaining smaller boats, of all different styles.

There is a whole mix out there. The people we purchased our boat from bought a brand new Noosa Cat to replace it (the same size)

There are a few large Steber monos getting around the NSW north coast in locations with bar. There are also some alloy hulled RIBs in the 6-7m mark up there too. I was at Lakes Enterance (VIC) a couple of weeks ago and the Coast Guard had a custom "BruBaker" looking alloy TriHull with twin o/bs. A number of NSW Coast Guards have Marlin Broadbills in various sizes.

I think this is mainly a fuel cost issue?

One un-named organisation had a mono diesel vessel and a large Marlin Broardbill with twin "hi-tech" outboards. I glanced a operational instruction saying to use the diesel for all routine work and the M-Bill was only to be used for emergencies (or at a reduced speed if the diesel was not available)

I bet you would have some stories to tell re: rescues that got a bit hairy?
Would be good to hear your tales.

I may have a few !
Some in scary weather, but certainly a few other interesting scenarios.

cheers
Rod

troy
23-02-2006, 06:05 AM
How you going Pete now that makes 3 that believe the seas do get bigger than 6 feet.
Out of curiousity how would the Bertram you mentioned shape up against the cat.

That boat of foxys makes my boat look like a canoe.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 06:36 AM
G'day Rod,

Can you share some stories if we ask nicely??

G'day Troy,
It looks like the power increase will have you flying in no time ;D
Thats my only criticism of the Dominator... with the narrow tunnel, they tend to land a bit hard.... but on the upside they plane a lot easier = less fuel.

My 560 Sharkcat used to sit on 30 knots @ 4000 revs & 35 knots @ 4500 revs, so very similar performance.

What area are you from? Mooloolaba?

G'day Troy,
The Cat and the 28 Bertram are two completely different concepts.
The Bertram (even though it is a planing hull) acts more like a displacement hull due to its weight, and is a very comfortable boat.
A cat would have it over the Bertram on speed, but they are both good boats

Cheers

Pete

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Is it time to talk about scones again? :-?

ahoj
23-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I have my scones slightly warm--with strawbery jam --preferably home made -of course )- jersey whipped cream and unsalted butter with cunneard ships own tea served on silver in finest english china will be just so splendid taaaaa-------with a little finger ever so much up ..... lifting my cup-- looking ever so smug and important ................................................ lol

Ahoj

so served at Savoy morning tea terrace..... how spoiled.... lol

Kalin
23-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Squashed scones for me, should match the consensus regarding little 18' cats doing 30-40 knots in outlandish size seas, first need to squash that one.

I think Fishingrod said it all in mongrel seas even a 23' cat has to back off and as dfox also mentioned and quite rightly so even as less than that type of speed in that type of sea airborne is not the required outcome. Once you start getting airbourne in a Cat it's really not the smartest or clever thing to be doing, especially in those little blighters.

Maybe a direct question to fishingrod, down to 5-6 knots and falling hard, which is expected by the way how do you think doing 30 knots in those conditions would have gone?

How about you dfox, how about the Nustar in typical 20-25 knot trades, they aren't all that heavy are they for their size but I would be interested in the type of speed you could push in a typical mongrel 6 foot sea, and I'm expecting it relative to a proper 6 foot sea and you should know the difference as we can talk about seas later. KL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 06:01 PM
I would hate to be the cleaner after some of you had a night at the bar. Bad enough after a long night with some of the boys when things start to get all out of proportion and a bit overdone. KL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 06:03 PM
My 560 Sharkcat used to sit on 30 knots @ 4000 revs & 35 knots @ 4500 revs, so very similar performance.

Are you saying a 18Sc with Johnson 110's circa 1985 did 30 knots at 4000 revs? And this was the so called over weight badly built one? KL

mackmauler
23-02-2006, 06:36 PM
just got onto this one, not been in many if any boats that can manage 30 knots, sea knots, in any sort of sea, maybe the wave was doing 15 knots I dont know some of the claims in these posts are out of control crazy stuff.

I note foxys miles are not sea miles correct me if im wrong foxy, im guessing the rest are KM AN HR not knots ;D so how hard do these boats land 18-20s at 30-40 knots?

there is noway I could drive foxys cat at 25 knots without breaking bones or needing a hip replacement and new spine and im pretty fit, the rides pretty good down at the back. hes made of steel.

SEC
23-02-2006, 06:48 PM
Oh, look.... someone has rattled the cage again. [smiley=dunce.gif] [smiley=dizzy.gif]

I think we now all know why Crab prices are so high... paying for incompetence.

ahoj
23-02-2006, 06:55 PM
here here

Kalin
23-02-2006, 07:06 PM
No crabs left been flogged to death so how's that for being honest? Honesty is something in short supply in lots of areas or is that experience.

so how hard do these boats land 18-20s at 30-40 knots?

Nobody here would honestly know and that's honest as these little boats doing 30-40 knots in 3-4m is pulling it. KL

dfox
23-02-2006, 07:14 PM
KL- dry weight your looking around 6 tonne. As for performance in 6 foot seas you could push quite easily in any direction flat out and get a reasonable ride, although if the waves are spaced just right and you head straight into them you might get the odd one up the tunnel that would shudder.
Unfortunately all seas arent 6 foot and once the seas build to a hight that the green water starts breaking a little more tact is required when heading into the seas. Across and down hill is great and try as i might i could never bury a sponsen or get a bad ride.
I did get caught out in some storms and travelled in white out conditions a few times but the hull performed unreal. It always suprised me with the way it handled bad conditions. Let me just add that before this boat was purchased, we road in many large cats in as rough of conditions as the owners or builders would take us, that includes the SC and KC's.

Rob- Yeah thats right rob MPH, as you can attest we thumped plenty last trip and no doubt we'd all be in hospital if we,d sat on 40 knotts...

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 07:21 PM
Kalin,

The really strange thing is..... what we found to be no big deal.... you find amazing.

I have not taken a 560 Sharkcat out off Qld coast to see the difference in the rough... and I have only copped one bad night out off mooloolaba and that was in the Hydrofield. We copped 25 - 30 knots while on the banks one night and had to flog our way home. We wraight over tere only making way at 12-15kts ... the height of the sea? who knows...couldnt see it in the dark.... big enough for the odd few to go straight over the top.

My guess is different seas due to the deeper water and close proximity of the shelf in Tassie.

But anyway, If I am branded a liar by an idiot, then so be it.

Shame you arent able to open your tired old mind....

Pete

insideout
23-02-2006, 07:31 PM
speaking about honesty kalin, do you or have you been on this site , say more than 24 times, under a different guise, maybe.......... correct me if i am wrong... just interested.......

Darryl
23-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I'd say your right insideout.

Kalin
23-02-2006, 07:39 PM
dfox, Been in quite a few myself so just sussing out your thoughts. My thoughts, weight is weight and for a 10m boat they were rather very light on especially consisering the power plants generally used aren't outboards and they are quite a substantial boat. Compared to an equiv SC, the SC simply doesn't like weight and especially with legs or inboards as some of the equiv SC were only ever suited to outboards. When you have to pump out the exhausts on a inboard SC before starting then you have some a real problems. All I can say for Nustar is RIP, they undid themselves.

The problem is it's difficult comparing a 9.6 Comet to a 8.2KC or a 3100 or even 3700 SC totally different thing. KL

dfox
23-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Pete- im guessing the seas that your refering too in tassie are much different to our conditions. 4 or 5 meter plus seas up here and you are in deep trouble, and theres no way that youd be doing any great speed in them. Even a good southeaster with 2 meter waves can cause conditions that make even planing a boat difficult at times.
Our area here is the home of the sharkcat, so we know what there cappable of!
Without understanding your seas many readers find it hard to fathom the figures youve quoted, myself included. I can only imagine that your seas are spaced wider and higher then ours, more or less rollercoaster style? If we were doing 30 knotts in our typical 1-1.5 meter chop chances are we'd come unstuck or do spinal damage at the least...

Kalin
23-02-2006, 07:42 PM
So does Tassie use a different measuring stick and speed gauge, it was either 4 metres and 30 knots or it wasn't? KL One thing is for sure that talk like putting the hammers down and doing 30k in 4m is pulling it. You call it what you like. KL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 08:21 PM
dfox, Then based on your experience do you think that a southerly buster going from dead flat to 40 knots 3-4 metres in 15 minutes is going to create a roller coaster or pure crap. I've never seen swell come up to that size in that amount of time from scratch, period. A crappy breaking breaking sea for sure but even then 3-4 metres in 15 minutes is stretching it in anybody's language.

Now if only everybody knew what sharkcats are capable of or is that not capable of. KL

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 08:30 PM
G'day Foxy,

The sea in Tassie does tend to be more rollercoasterish as you say, not so short and sharp as you get here.

I guess thats the difference.

The figures I quoted are true and correct... I cant say any more than that.

The Abalone divers off the south coast fish some scary conditions... they will run out on a weather change, knowing they may only have a few hours to dive, and then run home in seas that are best described as mountainous, accompanied by winds that often top 50kts.

If you find my stories unbelievable, try this one.

When I was looking to buy my first Cat, I looked at a 560 Sharkcat, Fisherman with twin 130 Yamahas on it.
It was owned by an Ab diver at Dover.... south of Hobart.
I knew Cats had a great reputation, but at that time knew very little about them on a practical basis.
I asked him the question "You hear a lot about what cats can do, but what dont Cats like?"
His answer was "Ohhh... they dont much like a 6 - 7 metre breaking wave fair under the tunnel with a ton and a half of abs on... you sorta got to cut up and over 'em a bit"

I think you are right Foxy, people here dont understand the seas we encounter in Tassie. I dont mean that in a derogatory way... just if you havent experienced it, then it is hard to understand.

Did anyone see the Tas Police rescue show on ABC not so long ago? Notice the seas they were in?

Anyone watched footage off the ###### Australis Icebreaker?

To be sitting in your boat, trolling for Bluefin under the relative calm shelter of the cliffs on the Eastern side near Tasman Island... and to see swells rolling through the cutting from the soth west, that must be 15 metres or more high.

The south coast of Tassie again, is a totally different world... the blokes that fish it are somewhere between legends and freaks of nature.

Now... note to all:
Before you $hitcan these comments, do some research... dont just take it from me.

If you are in the Mooloolaba area.... go and have a chat to the skippers on the big green / white steel longliners there.... Ocean Odyssey, Ocean Wanderer. These boats are from Tassie... ask them about the conditions they had to endure while longlining for Bluefin of the south and west coasts of Tassie. And ask them the conditions the Ab divers fish in down there, and what type of boats...
.... come back and tell me what you found out.

Cheers

Pete

blaze
23-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Kalin
Bass Strait - known to be one of the roughest section of water in the world
In my area in the farnorwest of tassie there are at least two place
walkers channel, hunters channel that seas can go from near mirror conditions to 3m + seas in the matter of minutes (I have fished this area for 20 years and got caught and busted the crap out a 6m boat), in this area its a combination of fast running seas, current and east or westly swells coming off the shelf.
Place down south called the narrows
The seas south of tassie can also change very quickly
yep half hour can see wondering if you will ever see ya loved ones again.
I had my say on cats in the opening page
This is just to confirm that waters in tassie are like grandmarlin calls them on there day.
cheers
blaze

Kalin
23-02-2006, 08:37 PM
UPDATED
North Tropical Waters, Cooktown to Cardwell:
A strong wind warning is current.
Thursday until midnight: SE winds 20/30 knots. Seas to 3 metres outside the reef and to 1.7 metres inside the reef. Showers and isolated thunderstorms with squalls to 40 knots.
Friday: SE winds 20/30 knots. Seas to 3 metres outside the reef and to 1.7 metres inside the reef. Showers and isolated thunderstorms with squalls to 40 knots.

Forecast for the amateurs and yes you can talk all day about maximum waves may be up to twice the height as they can also be half the height, point many like to forget when big noting themselves. The thing is in general it takes a fair amount of wind and time to push up a consistent sea that can be claimed to be consistently whatever some would like it to be but it's not for the feint hearted even in forecast like this and certainly well over the bounds that little boats should even be out in. KL

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Mantaray,

I love how you are so sure of something you have never experienced.

That in anyones language is Hypocrisy.

And if pulling it is the flavour of the day, you must wear very thick glasses.

Kalin
23-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Blaze and have you seen 3-4 m rollers from dead flat scratch in 15 metres? KL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Now if Hypocrisy is the call then you've been called. KL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Honestly I would call it bullshit but then what would I know? But what would I know? well enough to know what is crap and what is not and have enough background to know the difference. KL

88fishframe
23-02-2006, 08:54 PM
Getting a bit heated :'(

Kalin
23-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Getting to the truth if you ask me but how many of you know the truth from the ridiculous. KL (Rob)

insideout
23-02-2006, 09:08 PM
guys if you want up to the hour info on what the worlds swell is doing, try this site.
http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/gblpac.html
then go to forcast section , select animation, then hit display.

the beauty of this site is that it forcast swell around the world which is great for us surfers!

see what ya think!

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Thinking in your own mind you have enough background to know the difference.

If you read correctly, you will see that Blaze has already answered your question on the sea state...

Manataray, you not only know everything, but must know everyone as well... why dont you take up the challenge and talk to the people I mentioned? Surely you must already know them too...

I have told you, Blaze has told you.... how many more does it take?

You disregard all paramaters of every post, and only see what you wat to see, and what your narrow little mind lets you see...

I suppose the wave height in Hawaii doesnt exceed 6ft either?

Gather some facts ... stop rabbiting on about something you know nothing about.

You may have experienced all the seas you like in Qld, but it is a far cry from South Coast Tassie.

The longliners I speak of, moved to Mooloolaba as they are not weather restricted, like they were in Tassie.

They even fished through a 70knot blow from a Cyclone further north, and still didn't have to come home.

Go and have a chat to them.... then see if you walk off the wharf after calling them stick pullers....

Cheers

Pete

Kalin
23-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok Ok Ok we have called the retriever off as the duck squad take great delight in unmasking wanking talk and this one is an absolute classic. Have no idea how many of you lot are so gullible and yes we still post under yes sir no sir what ever you say sir you are the one sir. So much bloody bullshit it is unbelievable the shit you lot sit there wide mouthed about.

Not to worry no point in wasting any more time with this crap but if some of you have been given a wake up call then be thankfull.

BTW Up until this point you have been delaing with Rob who was getting to like the scene but there comes a time when all good things must come to an end. His 35 years at sea puts many of you lot to shame and you need no hinting at who should take note of that.

He did well didn't he? But then he knows his stuff and so he bloddy well should and that's where the difference is.

So it's goodbye from me and it's goodbye from Rob. KalinL

Now Mr Ausfish is going to red card yet another account ah well but we'll be back especially when fools are on the loose. #:o

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 09:23 PM
I rest my case....

Kalin
23-02-2006, 09:25 PM
No ######## you just lost your case. Your an absolute fool and we have absolutely no idea why you try to talk so much absolute bullshit. Your a complete ###### and you have been shown to be one by somebody who really leaves you in their wake for experience. KalinL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Thinking in your own mind you have enough background to know the difference.

If you read correctly, you will see that Blaze has already answered your question on the sea state...

Manataray, you not only know everything, but must know everyone as well... why dont you take up the challenge and talk to the people I mentioned? Surely you must already know them too...

I have told you, Blaze has told you.... how many more does it take?

You disregard all paramaters of every post, and only see what you wat to see, and what your narrow little mind lets you see...

I suppose the wave height in Hawaii doesnt exceed 6ft either?

Gather some facts ... stop rabbiting on about something you know nothing about.

You may have experienced all the seas you like in Qld, but it is a far cry from South Coast Tassie.

The longliners I speak of, moved to Mooloolaba as they are not weather restricted, like they were in Tassie.

They even fished through a 70knot blow from a Cyclone further north, and still didn't have to come home.

Go and have a chat to them.... then see if you walk off the wharf after calling them stick pullers....

Cheers

Pete

Ever thought you've been chating to one? Consider it ######## you have absolutely no idea who you were talking but then it shows you have absolutely no idea what your on about anyway. It's that simple you talk complete shit and take that from somebody who does know who you've been bullshiting to. KalinL

Kalin
23-02-2006, 09:31 PM
See you around ######, your no longer worth the effort, bullshit is bullshit no matter what disguise you try and put itin. KalinL

Grand_Marlin
23-02-2006, 09:51 PM
I havent been talking to a person that knows Tasmanian weather... if I had there would have been no questions asked... you would know exactly what I am talking about.

Blaze, another Tasmanian, had no hesitation in reiterating what I said.

Your 35 years experience would be most welcome, as I am sure you could teach us all a lot about boating, but you chose to rubbish everything that was said.

I for one, always listen to, and go boating with the experienced.... that is how I learned.
Both extensively recreational and commercial.

The difference between you and I, is that I am still prepared to learn.
I know what I know through my own experiences, and I have absolutely no need to hype things up.

Its not my fault if your 35 years experience does not cover everything.

Your only comeback from not knowing the facts, is to tell others it is all BS.
not just me, a number of people....class act.

Guess I will see you around.

Cheers

Pete

fishingrod
23-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Once you start getting airbourne in a Cat it's really not the smartest or clever thing to be doing

In my opinion, getting airbourne in a SC23 is fine as long as the swells are long rolling swells (say at least 50m apart and no larger than 3m) If you keep it below 25knots you will normally have a reasonable landing. I dont mean getting the props out of the water, but getting the hull substancially out of the water on the crest of the swell.

Having said that, Ive had my 5m Cruise Craft in some farily serious weather. The reason? Confidence in the boat (gained over many years of ownership) and a trust in myself. This applies to anyone. If you know your boat and know your ability you can take on some pretty heavy weather in medium trailer boats. In the case of my Cruise Craft, the engine must be functioning. Without manouverability its a whole different story.

Maybe a direct question to fishingrod, down to 5-6 knots and falling hard, which is expected by the way, how do you think doing 30 knots in those conditions would have gone?

30 knots ? Impossible on that day! The waves were simply too close together regardless of what angle we travelled. I would say that we might have been able to get 8-10 knots if we pushed it, but that would have meant being violently shaken around and risking damage to the boat. At the 5-6 knots i felt that the boat was not risking any damage. ..... come to think of it, at one stage i did check that the liferaft release mechanism to make sure it was not snagged !

To be completly honest, we actually chickened out at Terrigal on that trip :-[ (the target destination was Broken Bay about 5 miles futher south) Our bodys could not take any more pounding. We phoned some other members from our group to come and pick us up by car. We asked if they wanted to finish the last few miles and take the boat to Broken Bay while we drove the car back. They took one look at the conditions and said no way.

I wrote a detailed trip report for our groups magazine. I cant find my copy. Ill get another copy and post up the complete report. Its a pretty good read even if i wrote it myself #;D

Here is another extract i wrote for our magazine in Sept 2003 #(just before we took delivery of our own cat)

".......We had been travelling in Water Police Launch 45, a Noosa Cat about 7.5m in length and fitted with twin 200hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboards. On the day the weather forecast was for a gale warning and while we were at RVCP Hawkesbury and Gosford their weather instruments recored 42 and 46 knots respectivaly.... One the way back from Gosford it was a run out tide and still blowing approx 35knots. We saw numerous "wurley Wurleys" between Gosford and Brooklyn. The waves from Brisbane Water all the way to Brooklyn were about 5 feet tall and 5 feet apart (those that know the area will know what im talking about) There is no escape in conditions like this. The police boat maintained a minimum of 17 knots in these conditions (about 3600 rpm)....... Sure there was spray going everywhere and the 3 windscreen wipers were going full time, but the ride was comfortable and the clip boards remained on the dashboard and didnt fall .... the trip from Point Claire to Brooklyn took about 35 mins .... # # # # #... Needless to say i was very impressed with the handling and performance of the police boat today......"

Ill see what other interesting stories i have and might post them up.

Rod

seabug
23-02-2006, 11:45 PM
For anyone wanting an insight into what sort of weather Tasmania can turn on, there is some info on weather and wave heights
here http://www.bom.gov.au/inside/services_policy/marine/sydney_hobart/execsum.html

Regards
Seabug

troy
24-02-2006, 06:18 AM
How about this if you lads will be in it for a six pack [heavies] and a couple of pies i will bring my 3.9 avalon and my old 25 hp merc down and give you all a hiding.
Troy
ps just leave the arsenic out of the pies and no scones :P

Grand_Marlin
24-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Thanks Seabug,
This particular storm was well publicised due to the Sydney / Hobart, and the horrible impact it had on th elives of the sailors...it was exceptionally bad.

If you ever keep your eye on the weather charts, you will see that these weather systems are more than common.

Take a look at the weather map on any given day.... in between the high's, you will notice the pressure gradients are very low, and very tight.
A slightly different scenario, but in Qld, if you get pressure drops to 980 hpa, what have you got? A cyclone....

In Tassie, you will notice that these Hpa readings are quite common.... even though the winds dont rotate like a cyclone, they are just as strong... they come through in what they call "Cold Fronts"

The Southerly Busters that I speak of, are offshoots from the high pressure systems.

The high pressure system literally splits in two and creates gale force winds (ususally between 35 and 45 knots), which spring up from nowhere.

The scary part is, the BOM cant forecast it... it just happens at random.
The only prior warning you get, is someone further down the coast might ring the VMR and let them know it is coming.

It is a regular occurrance to be outside with mirror flat seas and no wind, and end up coming home with 3 - 4 metre seas and 40 knots of wind.... and that is why I opted for the Sharkcat.

The peace of mind it gives is irreplaceable. When you are 20 miles from home and these things hit, I really prefer to be in the Cat.

I really wish I could take you all down there and show you.... it would be a real eye opener for you.

Now, I will apologise to anyone who has been put off by my comments, or who has thought I have "had hold of it" It looks like my inexperience off the Queensland coast, and not knowing the sea conditions when rough up here (as compared to Tassie), has given way to an unfair comparrison of what cats can do.

Thats one good thing about Queensland... consistent weather, and a brilliant boating area.

In any case, I think it has been well established that a Cat will out perform a similar sized mono in most conditions.

The stories from Tassie... as true as I sit here.

I will have my 23ft Sharkcat on the water off Brisbane very soon.
In time, I will let you know what difference I find between the two places.

Cheers

Pete

ps - Troy, how much start will you give me?

Sportfish_5
24-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Does anyone really care anymore ::)

DR
24-02-2006, 10:06 AM
i find it interesting that Kalin doesn't realise most of us worked out who he was on page one..
how many personalities does he have?

Maybe hollywood could make a movie about him, mmmmmm Sally Field could play the lead role :-? :)

flatstrap
24-02-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi guys,
Sad to see Kalin self destruct. I'm relatively new to the forum, but I can see the negative attitude in 'Kalin' types. These people do not have the open and willing mind to consider another person's point of view. Result is, it takes a lot more time for them to learn 'FACTS', as opposed to the truth which is subjective... (I really believe in my heart etc...) may not be a fact.
It is a fact that 1 year's experience 35 times is NOT the same as 35 years experience.

Hooorooo...flatstrap

flatstrap
24-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi guys,
Sad to see Kalin self destruct. I'm relatively new to the forum, but I can see the negative attitude in 'Kalin' types. These people do not have the open and willing mind to consider another person's point of view. Result is, it takes a lot more time for them to learn 'FACTS', as opposed to the truth which is subjective... (I really believe in my heart etc...) may not be a fact.
It is a fact that 1 year's experience 35 times is NOT the same as 35 years experience.

Hooorooo...flatstrap

DR
24-02-2006, 10:46 AM
i think most knew he would eventually self destruct, it's the way he works, alienates all then gets personal,abusive & starts swearing...
i think he just needs some love, where's Heath Ledger when you need him:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

88fishframe
24-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I still think those scones would help.

Mentioning scones and then not delivering would drive anyone crazy :o

88fishframe
24-02-2006, 11:11 AM
Lets get back on track guys , remember? 'Cats, Go For It.

88fishframe
24-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Better do another one ............

seabug
24-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Second pic is far prettier ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

snappa
24-02-2006, 02:18 PM
forgetb the cat...
how about the tow truck ... 8-)

ahoj
24-02-2006, 02:41 PM
What is that?

ahoj
24-02-2006, 02:43 PM
forget the truck the cat how about the nice lady lol

PinHead
24-02-2006, 04:12 PM
forgetb the cat...
how about the tow #truck ... 8-)

geeze Pete..look at the badge on the front of it..only gays wear bow ties.

Sportfish_5
24-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Nice staircase on that trailer 8-)

insideout
24-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Picture of our familys last cat

insideout
24-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Heres another. we ran twin 250 four strokes and they , at the time , were the second pair to hit australian shores. so it was very new exp for all involved , suzuki , kevlacat, solas props, ect. On our maiden voyage back to hervey bay, we encountered 3mtr se seas , 30 knot winds straight into the side of her , from sunny coast to the bottom of frazer bar and she handled it like a dream. as soon as we got to the straight up to hervey bay it was as flat as, so we opened her up to 48 knots before we cruized back to 28 knots.( yes it did do 50 knots) . best boat we ever owned...... :'( :'( :'(

DALEPRICE
24-02-2006, 08:55 PM
nice rig insideout

TheDeepSix
24-02-2006, 11:04 PM
My babies big daddy. Got my lotto in this week :P
Cheers
Tiga

fishingrod
25-02-2006, 12:16 AM
Here is some other piccys for the record.

This is the Noosa that replaced our yellow Shark Cat. She is built "in survey" with twin 200hp 2 stroke carby Yammys. Approx $150K all up
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/Geonewbt.jpg

This one is a Power Cat 288 (i think) Im lead to beleive it was a police or customs boat in North Qld before ending up in Sydney. The other boat is a 18 foot GRP hull RIB with a single Honda. Just visible in the distance is a ~7m Marlin Broard Bill RIB. It has a alloy mono hull and inflatable pontoons. It is in survey and has twin Honda outboards.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/CPBB.jpg

fishingrod
25-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Heres an interesting concept.
This is a Coast Guard SharkCat that was for sale a few years ago in QLD.

This vessel is a 23' Noosa Shark Cat.
Built by Noosa Cat in 1990, to Lloyds Certification, this vessel is currently in 2C Survey to carry 6 people.
Has 2x 1998 Johnson 200hp, 3 Litre outboards - 800 hours.
Inshore/Offshore. Has excellent bar crossing capabilities.
Triaxle trailer
In excellent operational condition.
$55,000 ono
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/oldcgcat.jpg

im 99% certian that SeaTow Sydney purchased this boat.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/seatowCAT.jpg
It still has the QC rego labels on it + other identifying features including the same engines.

Grand_Marlin
25-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Sportfish 5.... maybe no one does care anymore :'( :'(
lol ;D

Fishingrod..... $150 K ... a lot of money to replace something that was essentially the same...
What are the differences you have noticed between the new Noosa Cat 2700 and the older 7m Sharkcat?
What are the changes they have made to them?

Is the 2700 the old 7m, now with pods?

I havent followed the newer Cats in all that much detail... the price tags are just way too scary for me.

Cheers

Pete

Grand_Marlin
25-02-2006, 08:36 AM
That is a classic shot of the seatow boat with the bridge and the opera house in the background

fishingrod
25-02-2006, 05:21 PM
What are the differences you have noticed between the new Noosa Cat 2700 and the older 7m Sharkcat?
Pete

Sorry mate. Maybe a slight miss-understanding.
My organisation purchased the old yellow "SEA REASCUE" second hand from the people that now own the new Noosa.
IE
They now have a Noosa
We still have the yellow "SEA RESCUE"

You are right, $150K is a lot of money for a similar boat. The boat had been kept in a shed and on a slip so was in pretty good condition. They obviously wanted a new boat. If it had been moored and abused i can understand why they would want to change. I was very happy about the condition of the boat when we purchased it.

lenm
16-04-2006, 10:58 PM
To anyone interested - there is a big article in this months 'Fisherman & Boatowner' about Cats vs Mono's.
It was a good read & will be continued next month.
LM

Blackened
17-04-2006, 05:41 AM
G'day
Magazine???? big article??? next issue??? ooh no..... and the saga continues!!!!!
Dave

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2006, 07:02 AM
Bring it On ;D

insideout
17-04-2006, 09:03 AM
Im hearing ya!!! 8-)

flyingfish
17-04-2006, 02:12 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the current aluminium marlin broadbill 5.6m cat with those wave piercer shaped hulls. Are they more fuel efficient, requires less power? Appreciate any feedback.

ahoj
17-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Its time to move on, this may calm your minds no matter what boat we all have one enemy and a master the one big wave.....

ROGUE OF THE SEA
When one is out fishing, and water is calm,
And you're motoring gently, no cause for alarm,
There's naught on your mind, and no need to be brave,
When out of the blue comes a small tidal wave!

These friends were out fishing, the going was slow,
The bottom was forty metres below,
They gave it their best shot, but soon that would prove
They should haul up the anchor and be on the move.

They'd search for a new place, and look for a site
Where the fish would be hungry and ready to bite,
So – minding their business, they trundled along
On an oily-smooth surface, and nothing was wrong.

The ocean and sky made a tableau display,
So good to be out there, that glorious day,
They duly decided that “X” marked the spot,
And they'd take home their limit, if that's what they got.

So then, down to brass tacks, they opened the hatch,
No time to be lost, when there's fish to dispatch,
Then that's when they found, for no reason at all
They were smack in the path of a watery wall.

That big beast engulfed them, out there on the tide,
With nothing for shelter, and nowhere to hide,
Then straight down the hatch went a dollop of sea,
That left everything drenched – yes, as wet as can be.

The boaties were shaken by violent surprise,
But seeing's believing – they saw with their eyes!
With no time to brace themselves, no time to scream
They were tossed like a cork in a washing machine.

The wave just emerged from the sea's stealthy calm,
Most surely a cause for the greatest alarm,
Because, without warning, huge dumpers can form,
These rogues, without trimmings of cyclone or storm.

Although not unheard of, they are fairly rare,
But keep your eyes peeled for a breaker out there,
And don't be deceived by the sea's peaceful form,
That could be the place where the next one is born!

Poetry by Georgie MacBrayne

Ahoj

fishingrod
17-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience with the current aluminium marlin broadbill 5.6m cat with those wave piercer shaped hulls. Are they more fuel efficient, requires less power? Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks #:)

Ive been on a 7-8m version with the piercers. It was only in the bay ... with a few chops around. It was a NSW Waterways/Maritime boat and his opinion was that they only work in the very rough ...... when they actually get a chance to pierce the waves. Unless its rough they are normally above the surface.

I saw that Mag in the shops. Ill buy a copy this week. Im flying to Melboune so it will be plane reading material :)
I hate 2 part stories ..... im gonna have to buy the next issue !

troy
17-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Grand Marlin says bring it on.
Well the way i see it would be for the bridge to fall on top of that yellow pussie to put it out of it's misery.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2006, 07:28 PM
;D ;D ;D thats very funny Troy #;D ;D ;D

I got my Sharkcat in the water for the first time today.
Blowing 20 - 25 kts on Moreton, so we took it for a spin ... piece of cake !

We modified the trailer so as it is now complete to drive on.

Cheers

Pete

dfox
17-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Wheres the pics pete! (trailer and boat) ;) ...foxy

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Give me time Foxy :)

I have to resize them yet

Cheers

Pete

ahoj
18-04-2006, 12:32 AM
I took My cat to Tin Can Bay and got stuck in mud -----caught fish-----

ahoj
18-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Lunch time rest @ TCB YC some nice big brothers and sister to my cat dozens and dozens was windy and sea with white caps Just ate them....

23-sharkcat
18-04-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a 23' Sharkcat 700 sereis MKII. Twin 470 mercruisers. 3.7litres each fresh water cooled. sh#tloads of tourque can get onto the plane within seconds. Very rare I beleive with this engine configuration.

Great fuel econemy top speed of 39 knots @ 4100rpm, Cruises at 27 knots @ 3300. Uses about 20-25 litres an hour each at cruise speed.

Got it of ebay for 13k spent about 10k replacing an engine, rebuilding trailer, rewiring whole boat, complete new dash, resprayed in polyuerthane, radios and gps/fishy finder( Eagle Seachamp100 DCF ), new batteries, lights, and the list goes on.

Can not fault the performance except for the steering at speeds. Non counterroatating is a bitch.

Took it out 3 weeks ago to harrys reef and on saturday to harrys and then stayed the night in the brizzie river. As we were leaving there was a large flybridge cruise(40 - 50 ft) coming into the mouth of the river. The wake was a good 1.5m and we got the old cat pretty well airborne of the first one and was looking like we were going to smash straight into the next on and we did and it was so smooth it was not funny.

The thing I noticed was in a 1m chop it would still matain its cruise speed and has been clocked at 37knots in this weather.

I like it a lot......and I like scones as well.

If some one can tell me how to post piccys I will

fishingrod
18-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Gday 23 S C

Good story you wrote.

The best way to do piccys is to have a site to host your photos. I use photobucket.com.au and its a free service.

You can upload pics up to 500kB each (it resizes bigger pics automatically)

Each pick gets a internet URL address.
for example:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/closeupcorr.jpg

To inset the picture you need to add "IMG" + some square brackets #in front and behind the URL.
Like this
[xIMG] xxxxx http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c369/fishingbasket/closeupcorr.jpg xxxxxx [/IMGx]
but WITHOUT the X's i have inserted. Remove all the X's and spaces before and after the squard brackets

The photobucket site will automatically give the IMG thingy anyway.

Hope this helps !

23-sharkcat
18-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Here are some photos

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/rxv3000/DSC02990.jpg

23-sharkcat
18-04-2006, 02:07 PM
and some more

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/rxv3000/DSC02456.jpg

23-sharkcat
18-04-2006, 02:12 PM
and this one of my new dash board

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h258/rxv3000/DSC02991.jpg

23-sharkcat
18-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Grand Marlin do you want to catch up some time and compare rigs?

My boat is located on the northside...

fishingrod
18-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Nice rig mate .... and sounds like a good price. At least you know the mechanicals are good now :)

on-one
18-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Pete, thanks heaps for your advice and taking the time to show us around your boat, will keep you informed of how the search for a boat goes. Sean

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:06 PM
G'day SharkCat 23,

The twin mercruisers are as rare as... that is only the third one I have ever heard of.
Yes, I would love to catch up and compare notes sometime.
I am on the north side too ... boat is at sandgate.
My number is 0419 263 264

Thanks Sean, it wasnt a problem... Happy to show you over the boat.
Good luck with buying the one you are looking at.

Cheers

Pete

ahoj
18-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Where are the Dongs??? 23 sharkcat

Ahoj

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Ok, well here is the Sharkcat ... 700 series Hardtop, with a single volvo sterndrive. 200hp Turbo, to a 290 leg with duoprop.
The boat is 7m or 23 ft.

It was originally a rescue boat, and has more recently been a spanner crabbing boat, out of Mooloolaba I am led to believe.

It was in terrible cosmetic condition when we bought it, but it is mechanically and structually sound.
The leg needs new seals, which will be done very soon.

As most people know, I work on boats for a living, and still thoroughly enjoy playing with boats in my spare time, boating in general, and love game fishing.

So, following the Yalta Odessa 2000, this is our next project.

The basic shape / structure / setout of cabin etc is in my opinion faultless, so we are not intending to do any major fibreglass modificatoins.

It will be totally refitted, repainted and fitted out with a good electronics package. Most probably Raymarine.

These are pics of the boat as we bought it.

I welcome any comments or ideas as we do the boat up.

Cheers

Pete

ahoj
18-04-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/GrabCaptureScreen.shtml

This a a good free program for cropping better then resizing usefull for many internet chores......

Ahoj

ahoj
18-04-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Capture/GrabCaptureScreen.shtml

This a a good free program for cropping better then resizing usefull for many internet chores......

Ahoj

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Back of boat, with additional pods for buoyancy. Leg has no trim at the moment

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Helm, with many holes to fill...

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Front cabin ... what a mess

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:42 PM
Main cabin

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Deck

ahoj
18-04-2006, 07:46 PM
GRAND MARLIN

Are you going to change the CURTAINS?-----lol :D

MILTON
18-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Nice cat

MILTON

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Motor

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:52 PM
I actually like the curtains :D but the missus (Renai) said they have to go !

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 07:55 PM
The trailer is new, but incomplete.

I spent easter moving the wheels back 750mm to balance properly, extended the centre bar to make it a useable drive on trailer, and put the cross bar on the front for the winch.

The photos of the trailer mods will be coming soon.

Blackened
18-04-2006, 08:19 PM
G'day
So thats the famous cat? Damn, love the steering wheel;). Shud be an awesome boat once you've worked some magic. Can't wait to get out on a cat again.
Dave

ahoj
19-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Grand Marlin....
Why the stainless steel sides re-enforcing or damage? Or for fishing reasons??

I am looking forward to see the progress of ( what name is the cat?
we will see this cat all plastered fireglassed sanded sand blasted leg re-dun motor repainted and then tape it all up get in to a spray booth come next morning and valla' --- magic Just magic. The reward the glory and the smile from total satisfaction...... and it will be even bigger thrill since you just love CAT's.....

Please preferably NOT yellow Can i suggest a name?? " MEOW"

PS. Tell Renai she has a taste

Good Luck ----Ahoj

Who's boat is it? lo lol

Grand_Marlin
19-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I am gonna start a new post on it Ahoj,

Please copy your comments to it

Cheers

Pete

btsah
23-04-2006, 09:44 PM
G'Day Grand_Marlin
You should have a chat to 88fishframe about the cats especialy alloy cats (NQ Borger Cat) he realy knows his stuff.
btsah

finding_time
22-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Just thought i would bump up this CLASSIC ausfish thread again for all those that weren't around to enjoy it the first time!!!! Btw pete ( Grand Marlin) were you unemployed when this was going on , i've never seen anyone go from newbie to platinum member in one thread!!!;) And Kerry whoops i mean Kalin hasn't changed at all has he!!!!:o ::)

Ian

TimiBoy
22-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Thanks Ian!

Does anyone have an opinion to offer on the big cruising cats? I'm pulling my planning threads together to get into one in a few years, because the space they offer is unbelievable, and the economy is excellent. I really like the Bravamarine Sports 45, pics below - or something like it (maybe smaller, this boat would be my top end, for sure...). Nice rear end for fishing, cruise at 20 knots, max about 24, running 2 * 350hp diesels.

Cheers,

Tim

Blackened
22-04-2009, 06:42 AM
G'day

Tim, have you had a look at the scimitar 1010? Very very roomy and incredible fuel economy.

I detailed a 46' cat, called voyager at raby late last year and it was simply sensational, enclosed bridge huge deck space, you swore this thing was 60' it had that much volume on it.

Have you had a look at the voyager cats? Use to be made down at horizon shores.

Dave

insideout
22-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Our local cat builders here in hervey bay "Streamline Cats" build these style of cats , the owner has just finished a larger cat for the whalewatching scene and is a very good boatbuilder, and a good bloke to boot.

Customizing in these boats is paramount, for if u r going to be spending that amount of money, you want it to be exactly what you want, might be worth throwing him in the mix in this price bracket.

Have u been to the santuary cove boat show?::) (silly question?) Its on 21- 24th may 2009. There is quite a few of this breed of boat here to walk onto and inspect and started from about 300g to whatever. If you havnt been there, its definatly worth looking at.I will definatly be there again this year. Good luck in ya search.

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2009, 07:17 AM
G'day Ian,

Gee, that must have been a few pages back :o

No, I wasn't unemployed ... Self employed, so technically you are right - I don't have a job :P

There was this pesky little man called Dave (Blackened) who kept hounding me to have a look at a website called Ausfish.
Just to shut him up, I had a look, and well, sort of got addicted ;D
It wasn't hard ... I work with boats all week, play with boats all weekend and can now talk about boats in my spare time on here 8-)

Mantaray, Kalin & Kerry helped my posts skyrocket thanks to all their arguements ;D

I will have a read through the thread again

Cheers

Pete

TimiBoy
22-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Our local cat builders here in hervey bay "Streamline Cats" build these style of cats , the owner has just finished a larger cat for the whalewatching scene and is a very good boatbuilder, and a good bloke to boot.
Have u been to the santuary cove boat show?::) (silly question?) Its on 21- 24th may 2009. There is quite a few of this breed of boat here to walk onto and inspect and started from about 300g to whatever. If you havnt been there, its definatly worth looking at.I will definatly be there again this year. Good luck in ya search.

Dave,

The Voyager is a nice tub, but hasn't rung the bells for me. Scimitar looks OK for a fishing cat, but also doesn't give me a woody.

Insideout,

They look NOICE MATE! The Sportfish 36 has lines, man that boat has lines. Can't find photos on the web, but I might just have a chat with them in the next few months. Will they be at Sanctuary Cove? I will certainly be going...

Cheers,

Tim

Noelm
22-04-2009, 08:15 AM
hey Timi, I have done quite a few trips in big (ish) cats, as in 40' plus! like from the Whitsundays to Sydney and back the other way too, and other long distance trips as well, a Cat has all sorts of advantages for this type of thing, but it has a few limitations as well (as usual) the biggest bonus is the fact that you do not experience a lot of roll like a mono does (especially in sailing boats) so the trip is just so much better and easy to relax, plus to get reasonable speed, Cats can get away with much smaller power plants, the last Boat I bought back to Sydney had 2X 27HP Kubota diesels in it, cost nothing at all to run and still turned in about 9 knots at cruise, pretty good really for two Engines the size of a suitcase!

chop duster
22-04-2009, 10:44 AM
headsea is yor enemy right? unless you want to tack like a sailing boat?

Noelm
22-04-2009, 11:32 AM
depends on your interpretation of a head sea, if you mean big chop, then it can cause some tunnel "slap" but most newer designs have taken care of that quite a bit by fitting those "wave breaker" things in the tunnel, they help a lot, but if you mean a head sea as in big swell, then it makes little difference what style of boat you are in, there is a very good model made down my way by the Seawind people that make most of the sailing charter cats, I think it is called a "Venture" or something like that, moderate HP diesels, and a great standard of fitout and finish. They have apretty good website, so might be worthwhile looking them up.

Blackened
22-04-2009, 02:24 PM
Mantaray, Kalin & Kerry helped my posts skyrocket thanks to all their arguements ;D

G'day

And who could forget those three?

Dave

Vitamin Sea
22-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Just thought i would bump up this CLASSIC ausfish thread again for all those that weren't around to enjoy it the first time!!!! Btw pete ( Grand Marlin) were you unemployed when this was going on , i've never seen anyone go from newbie to platinum member in one thread!!!;) And Kerry whoops i mean Kalin hasn't changed at all has he!!!!:o ::)

Ian

Good onya Ian

She's a classic this one all right;D

Even have it as a favourite at work, to peruse when things are a bit slow, sparked my interest in cats, hey Pete:-/

Cheers

Bill

Grand_Marlin
23-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Thats ok Bill,

One day we will bring you over to the dark side ;D

Cheers

Pete

snelly1971
05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Gee I missed this one Pete...would have been great to get involved...I have not been out in 6-7 meters with 60 knots in my boat...Stuff that...but have in a fishing boat, and that was bloody worse enough..

Now that we are commercially fishing for the past 5 months , have copped our fair share of small fronts, that were not forecasted. A few months back, we were fishing at Point Hibbs, 26 NM South of Cape Sorell. The forecast was for 20 knots sw easing to 5-10 VRB, and aound 2-3 meters. Just as we were pulling our last shot of droplines, on dark with our deck lights, all hell seem to break loose..30-40 Knots dead Northerly and the tide racing up against it. By the time we had aour gear up it made to 3-5 meters and average of 30 knots.
We had no where to run and hide . 2 choices, travel 25 Nm south to High Rocky Point or punch home..Our normal trips would take us 2 hrs to port or 1.5 hrs to Cape Sorell.
We started punching from 1nm off land at point hibbs, and within the hour I was on the phone to our local Police officer/resue boat , telling them that i was in serious trouble.We had travelled 1 Nm North but 7 mile to sea. Coordinates were exchanged every 30 minutes for the next 4 hrs.
Trying to travel in the dark at speeds between 2-5 knots is bloody hard. We were copping breakers over the front of the boat, and at time , theer seemed to be a foot or more of water on the front windows. At times we would cop a confused breaker over the rear quarter. But after 4 hrs of gettiing the Sh!t belted out of us, The wind eased enough for us to get back on the plane and travel the rest of the trip at 12-15 knots. When i sat down the next day with our local officer, having a laugh ....We worked out that I had travelled 8NM in 5 Hrs...I dont scare easily. But that is something that I do not wish to try again in a hurry.

Pete Loves his Cats , and I wont even try and dis agree , yep they are great boats, But I am glad on my scary trip I was in a Tri....and especially a Hoson Tri at that....

Mick

snelly1971
05-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Another thing you may be interested in pete. there were 14 Ab divers here for the past week or so and they tell me that an Ab diver had purchased the Cape Cat moulds , and they have been back in production for the past few years. They all agreed that the Cape cape smashed the 23 shark cat, Nossa Cats the other divers using, only draw back was motor misting on the Cape Cat.

Mick

Lovey80
06-06-2009, 07:43 AM
This one was before my time will be great reading I'm sure. I just started a cat thread on the Hull Truth. Kerry chimed in early and has been argumentative from the get go. Who is Kalin?

Cheers

Chris

P.S> Timmi can you get me a job where ever your working mate......... Those big cats look sweet!

Grand_Marlin
06-06-2009, 10:07 PM
G'day Mick,

Geeez Mate, you are in some of the roughest waters in the world where many, many fishermen have perished over the years... good to hear it all worked out ok.

They bought the new Cape Cat to last years Sanctuary Cove Boat Show.
I know this boat has had a great reputation with commercial divers for many years.
The new one has had all the mould creases ironed out of it and is a bit lighter.
Still very commercially oriented, still very basicly outfitted but still has a price tag of $160 grand.

Hmmm ... I just dunno..... I would still pick the 23 Sharkcat.

Cheers

Pete

Skusto
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
ignore......

finding_time
08-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Just bring this back up to the top for Getoutnow lots and lots of good stuff here mate!

insideout
09-06-2009, 08:25 AM
LOL..;D ;D ... i wll post here as well, if only to get up the mono boat owners noses.......:P :P

John Buoy
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
LOL..;D ;D ... i wll post here as well, if only to get up the mono boat owners noses.......:P :P

Or even better start our Forum on Cats ;D

Imagine forum topic Cats of Australia

Regards Frank

rich158
13-06-2009, 09:54 PM
The 18', 23' 27's you're talking about are out of my range. So i'll talk about my experience with a RIB, smaller cats & tri-hulls. I'm a regular fishing nut with a tight budget plus 3 kids so it's back to reality. I have 1 regular boat & another 15' grp powercat 15c hull for restoration when funds allow.

1. Glastron v156 bowrider, think it was sold as the sportster model. 15' grp 70hp evinrude 2st of around 1979-1984. not certain of the exact age. it's the cathedral, or tri-hull style. takes the kids out on syd harbour, hawkesbury, lakes tuggerah, macquarie. lots of fun, very stable does about 30knots, or almost 57kph flat out at 5350rpm. sweet spot for fuel is 4000 at around 23 knots or 42 kph. doesn't like short steep choppy seas (or wash from 35'+ bayliners) first 2 waves are fine but the 3rd usually gets the foredeck wet. have fitted 2 x 1100gph bilge pumps since the bayliner incident. slamming is a bit uncomfortable in the chop but on less than a medium swell it's a total joy. Wouldn't like to take it any distance offshore, like no more than a mile. It's a fun old style bowrider with enough room for 4 adults to fish from & reasonable fuel consumption - around 40ltrs for a full day on the hawkesbury starting at brooklyn, down to pittwater, up cowan creek a way then up to near spencer before returning to brooklyn.

Very happy with it. slightly better economy than a 15'mono with the same hp & generally quicker for fewer rpms. Sure, much lighter hulls will use a bit less but whatever, i'm happy.

2. the powercat 15c..... hmm,

Here's what one should look like: http://www.powercatboat.com/Group/candc/RC_15c2/RC_15c2.html

Mine?? Hmm, well it's a fairly bare shell. previous owner decided to take an angle grinder to a 60's classic & turn it into a cheapy bass boat. So in reality I own the worst example of a power cat boat 15c in the world......Mine looks like crap so I haven't got any pics. Anyhoo, tested it on the water before parting with cash using the trusty old 15hp jono 2st of about '86 vintage. It did well. according to the handheld gps, 16 knots flat out. Skimmed over everything,,, well, it would without the weight of the foredeck & dashboard. According to the powercat yahoo group they handle pretty well in a chop but the aussie owners say you get real wet. Haven't had the opportunity to test that as yet. They will take upto 140hp acc the the yanks. Not sure our friends at maritime will allow that much power but should be fun at anything above twin 40's on it.

Previous boats in the uk have been a 16' dell quay dory (think small whaler, no cab). 18' formula hobie cat - ok, no motor but JEEEEEEZZZZUS it went!!! (caveat: it went!!! whenever it was upright. may have been a bit of user error involved, lol). after that I got into diving & went for a 5.8m RIB with 135hp Merc 2st on the back. We're back in hobie performance with that one. serious fun, but not much good as a fishing platform when 1 of the kids has only partial use of an arm. This gets me back to the choice of tri-hulls & cats. Much more stable than a mono of a similar size. Hence my choice. It's not about right or wrong, it's about what you want to do with it & how. I want to spent QT with all 3 kids & not spend a fortune. The glastron does that... the 15c, well, that gives me an evil glint in the eye.

Cheers,
Rick

Camhawk88
25-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Just ficking thru old threads and found this one- what a pisser.
Thought I would reply to bump it back into circulation for the benifit of the newbies such as myself.
Some good info for potential cat convertees but more importantly some great entertainment.
Think I might start a poll to bring back Kerry, Kalin or any number of other names this bloke calls himself. He may be a knob but he's a funny knob!

Vitamin Sea
25-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Yep, it's a classic all right, Kerry at his best;D

Cheers

VS

Dezzer
26-10-2010, 09:41 PM
He still lurks. Sattelite Navigation is the new topic to cop a Kerrying. Pure entertainment.

Skusto
27-10-2010, 11:55 AM
some funny reading there and lots of useful tips.