PDA

View Full Version : Advice on drive on trailers

maxi
20-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Now i've got my new boat I need some tips on the best methods for driveing it on the trailer or for that matter winching it on, I sure am strugling at the moment. Some people have told me to sink the trailer deep and others have said keep rear rollers just under the water :-/. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

lippa
20-04-2006, 06:27 PM
having some one to stand at the samson post and guide you is a big help

steveg1100
20-04-2006, 07:00 PM
It depends on the boat and trailer setup whether you need to sink the trailer or not. I have an 18ft shark cat and you definately need to submerge the trailer to drive it on. But it has to be remembered that the two sides of the shark cat sit on top of the trailer wheels. It sits high on the trailer.

The best is to practise don't submerge one day see how it goes if its not working submerge it. I remember when I first got the cat me and my friends could not get it off or on the trailer. (pissed off a lot of boaters at the ramp) Now its as easy as pie.

Good Luck

finga64
20-04-2006, 07:22 PM
How big is your boat maxi??

revs57
20-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Maxi,

The Riptide is 6.6 to the rear of pod...similar size to your beauty...I have a Redco Sportsman with 13" wheels - going to 14" shortly (long story). I back the trailer in till the bottom of the front of the mud guard is just touching the water

Seems to be the right depth for it...coming in I just nudge it up till its well cradled in the rollers, a deckie can straighten it up if need be, or attach the winch strap, I then touch it up a little till it rests on the post roller...

I've seen some gung ho approaches, on the beach with swell and surge, You've gotta attack it a bit but at a good ramp I usually just nurse mine into place...gently gently, catchy monkey...

hope this helps

Cheers

Rhys

Sportfish_5
20-04-2006, 10:53 PM
Maxi

Dont sink the trailer in to far if you are driving it on. The advice on just submerging the rear rollers is spot on but just make sure there is enough water at the back for the tilted engine to still drive without hitting. Best way is to line it up from a long way out and head in at a steady pace - dont hesitiate. Let the boat centre itself before you give the engine a bit to drive her up. If you are going to winch it on then sink the trailer further in than driving as it will make the process quicker and easier until the end. Let the water keep the weight as long as possible. Same if you are launching without driving her off.

She will be a good size boat to still handle on/off by yourself :P

Cheers

Greg

Angla
20-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Maxi,

When launching I drive mine in till I can just keep dry feet at the rear of the car, Tip of the mudguard just under water. Then I unhook the winch all together and the boat stays on the trailer. i then jump up on the front and walk around , drop the motor and start it. Then I run from the front and hit the bait board heavily with a jump. That normally starts it rolling off. I they trim the motor up as the stern dips in and trim the motor down fully as the stern rises back up and the bow drops gently into the water. Drive to the pontoon and tie up, then dash to the car and park it. Jump on board and I'm off. (with dry feet for all)

When returning I drive the trailer in till the rear wheels of the 4x4 are just getting wet. Jump on the boat and drive out in line and then come in fairly briskly, cutting the revs just before touching and that normally slows it enough to touch the trailer gently. I immediately bring on enough power to hold this position and sterr until the boat is in line. Accelerate until she drives on to the post and then reduce the revs to just hold it there. Walk around the cab, jump on the spare tyre, then onto the draw bar and lock up the winch (2 turns or so), hook on the safety chain clip. Then get back onto the boat and neutral motor then turn off and raise trim. Jump back to spare tyre, then rear bumper and step on to rear tyre holding the roof rack and on to dry ramp. (Still dry feet)

Then I jump in the 4 x 4 and drive away

It is all very quick and have had some great comments on how it all goes. all the crew do nothing and just get on and off at the pontoon.

Note
You can stop at any time while bringing the boat up and look over the side to see the mudguards are the same on both sides to prove centre.

The motor always starts on the first crank so if the boat rolls off too quickly, it is always under power within a very short time.

Chris

I prefer ramps at Scarborough or Kawana @ mooloolabah

troy
21-04-2006, 06:13 AM
I have never tried driving my boat on to the trailer as i worry about damaging the boat .
Has this happened to anyone like hitting the multi roller brackets.
Troy

Angla
21-04-2006, 06:43 AM
Troy, Definitely worried about that so I hollowed out some skid material and cable tied it on to the metal bar. I have seen at some boat ramps, a production cover over the same area and I would suggest a call to the trailer manufacturer or dealer to enquire if there is a cover for your trailer.

Chris

maxi
21-04-2006, 03:19 PM
It's 6mtr finga, some really good tips there guys. All I can do is practice,practice,practice.

Thanks Heaps

bidkev
21-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I never drive mine on :'( (Whittley 650) Saw one jump trailer once with 2 kids sat in the back of the towing vehicle........fair put the shits up me :o ::)

kev the wuss

A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain
set of attitudes.

Dignity
21-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Greg, first practice at a ramp where there is no tide and reasonable protection from the wind. First time I did it was at Ruddy Maas at Hollywell. I found that you need a few good drive ons under the belt to build up confidence. I do go out of Mooloolaba (southern side) and find that the combination of a running tide and wind can make it hairy. Good rule is if you think it is going to miss and go over the rollers then back off and come around again. The rubber angla has fitted is a good idea. I think it was Tinka did make some but I haven't been able to find any - they were a red poly cover that fitted nicely over the rollers. I have bought some thick rubber from Clarks rubber, they had a sheet about 10mm thick that somebody ordered but never picked up and I will be fitting it soon.

Angla - notice your tapered rollers on the inside are facing in the opposite direction to all other trailers that I have looked at recently. Is there areason for this as I am going to get some as they apparently do help the chines ride over much better.

sam

troy
22-04-2006, 03:38 PM
Dignity i went and had a look at mine and i only have the taper on the outside.
The way Angla is set up might be the way to go.
I am worried about my beach trailer i recently built as i said in a thread a few months back my boat does not sit on the keel rollers as the dealer told me they are all over the place when winching up.
But the one i built i copied off my land trailer but i allowed for it to sit on the keel rollers as well due to the fact i do not have as many multi rollers so i do not know how it will winch up.
Troy

Dignity
22-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Trot, was wondering about angla's setup as I have seenwhat you described as just the outside rollers with the taper, both the inside and outside tapered but differing in that the inside set were setup with the taper in the opposite direction to angla's. Wondered whether he has found this to be a better set up through trial and error or some other reason.

sam

Dignity
22-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks Troy, was wondering about angla's setup as I have seenwhat you described as just the outside rollers with the taper, both the inside and outside tapered but differing in that the inside set were setup with the taper in the opposite direction to angla's. Wondered whether he has found this to be a better set up through trial and error or some other reason.

sam

troy
22-04-2006, 08:09 PM
Sam you caled me trot.
Bit worried about that :D :D
Trot

Dignity
23-04-2006, 01:36 PM
I notice that Trot and tried to fix it before it finished posting but ended up with 2 posts - I think it had something to do with the amber stuff I was drinking. Ther should be an option to be able to delete posts.

sam

onerabbit
23-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey Sam,

If you go back , you can modify your post.

Muzz

mcgilld
24-04-2006, 12:07 AM
I've seen some classic drive-on trailer stuffups over the years - even better are brakestop drop-offs.
Some surely do it forever and have no problems, but bent roller brackets, gouged glass and stuffed props/skegs are common. I say keep the trick for necessity - like fast beach jobs or stuffed winch gear.
By the way - i just spent a week under an old hull and gelcoat repair is NO fun.