PDA

View Full Version : commission

troy
16-04-2006, 10:20 AM
If you are the main reason why someone buys a boat like your own and you do all the ground work and take him for test runs is it fair to hit the dealer for commission.
The boat in question would be a 625 cruise craft with a 175 four stroke and fully decked out.
If it is fair what would you be asking for as the boat will go past the 80k mark.
Troy

Angla
16-04-2006, 11:16 AM
No way.

I'd just like to show off a little as it helps the ego. Was it a friend or fellow Ausfisher.

A well known Brisbane car yard give a 200 spotters fee if you send a friend there and they purchase a car. I'm sure they fit it onto the price as you have to advise them before the sale.

I make my money fair and square through hard work and my own labour.

Angla

troy
16-04-2006, 03:13 PM
fair enough Angla but if i have to travel long distances and use my money for fuel and the dealer gets the sale when the dealer does nothing i do not see that as earning money dishonestly.
Troy.
ps the buyer approached me and i hardly no him.

revs57
16-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Troy,

I haven't seen you around the site lately os its good to see you back

Mate, I reckon you'd probably have to negotiate it up front, bit late once the deal is done... I suppose you can only try but I wouldn't hold my breath

Good luck

Rhys

Angla
16-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Troy, I didn't mean you were being dishonest.

Did the dealer ask you to do that or organise for this guy to see you. If so then you may have a fair claim to him IMHO.

Did this guy just ask you for advice on your great looking boat with the top motor and good looking fit out. And you decided to show it off to him.

If he asked to go for a ride, then you could ask him to share the fuel costs.

Chris

troy
16-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Angla the dealer in question does not no anything about this.
That is why i posted this.
The bottom line is this i pay all the costs which would be about 150.00 dollars plus my time and the dealer gets the sale.
I am about 50 klms one way from the nearest boat ramp and i would have to pay fuel for my vehicle plus fuel for my boat.
Maybe i am in the wrong for asking a fee.
Troy

revs57
16-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Troy

I'm not sure if it an "in the right or wrong" matter...if you've had expenses that resulted in a sale then you probably have a just cause to request compensation...getting it is the problem if it wasn't understood... you could approach the dealer and or the purchaser to see if either is open to covering your cost...but I think negotiating it with the dealer/ purchaser would ensure you know where you stand at the start.

cheers

Rhys

Angla
16-04-2006, 11:47 PM
Troy

We seem to only have half a story but maybe 600 would be close to the mark given that it's like three times the price of a reasonable car and they spot 200.

Chris

Grand_Marlin
17-04-2006, 07:18 AM
G'day Troy,

Why doesnt he ask the dealer for a test run in one of the dealers boats?

If you are approached by a stranger to give a demo in your boat, then tell the stranger that there are costs involved ... if they want to pay these costs, then fine - take them for a run.

If they dont, then leave the boat sitting on the trailer at home ... that way it doesnt cost you anything.

If someone approached me and asked if I could hook up my boat, drive to the ramp and demo it for them for nothing, I would say definitely no.
Quite frankly, I think it would be very rude of someone, dealer or prospetive buyer) to ask you to do this for nothing.

If they offer to pay your costs, then yes I would.

Also, if they met you at the ramp after you got back from a fishing trip and wanted to go for a quick run ... I would have no problem with that .. and wouldnt charge them.

To ask you to go totally ouy of your way, at your expense, I think is asking too much.

Cheers

Pete

ps - if it meant you could sell your boat to him, and then buy a cat ... then I would travel a thousand miles at my own expense ;D ;D ;D
Sorry Troy, couldnt resist !

finga64
17-04-2006, 09:38 AM
If I was chasing a commission I would make my intentions clear with the dealer concerned firstly and if he wasn't interested forget about it.
Nothing wrong in getting a commission but intentions must be established to avoid possible later confrontations.

I went to a boat dealer a few months ago and asked about a water test. He wanted 20% deposit before he'd put the boat on the back of his vehicle. I walked away asking no further questions. :-? He's done his dash with this little consumer.

As GM said though, a quick blat from the boatramp is a different story if your already there.
A bloke has to brag hasn't he?? ;)
Cheers Scott #:)

revs57
17-04-2006, 09:38 AM
You are scurrilous Pete..talk about kickin' a guy when he's down.... ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
17-04-2006, 02:53 PM
I am lost...what are you asking??? Did you take someone for a ride in your boat ..he liked it then went and bought one...you want a commission????

troy
17-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Pete i must admit i am in deep shock from your reply.
You have finally seen the light when you said if he was willing to take your cat off you and you would be willing to travel thousands of klms and pay all the costs if it meant you could by a mono.
You really need to be admired for your honesty and you will not look back.
Buyind a cat and admitting that i was the biggest mistake in your life that is the first hurdle for you.
Grand Marlin this is your life. :o :D :D
Troy

rajawolf
17-04-2006, 03:25 PM
The salesman at the dealership receives a commission if he sells.....if you seal the deal then you are the salesman....

Speak to a few dealers first and see what they are willing to offer you...might be 5%... might be a bigger suprise.

The government gets 10% GSt + other hiden taxes for nothing ...so you should get some $$$ also.

troy
17-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Pinhead i have not taken him for a ride yet but he has asked me to.
It is not that i want a commission as i#was just after peoples thoughts.
He had heard about my boat and being a small town i have the only one like it and the nearest dealership is about 110 klms away.
My question is quite simple if i have to take him for a test drive and being a 100klm round trip plus fuel for the boat should i not be compensated as if the deal goes through then i have done the ground work for the dealer.
As you would be aware do boat dealers go out of there way and give you things for nothing without a battle.
It would be a different story if i was at the ramp i would not be posting this.
Put it this way if you lived in Brisbane and you were asked to tow your boat to the Gold Coast to give someone a demo at your expence would you do it and if the answer is yes then you are a #far more genereous person than me.
Troy
ps he has not even approached the dealer and maybe he could end up buying a different boat other than the cruise craft

skippa
17-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Troy,

From what you've said so far, if I was the dealer concerned and you asked me / or expected a commission I'd say flatout NO. (I know you haven't asked for one)

It's not the dealers fault the bloke doesn't want 2 drive 110ks to the yard and wants to take a shortcut by getting YOU ( a near stranger) to do the demo instead.

If he expects you to demo for free .... tell him 'He's dreamin' ::) ;)
If he's prepared to pay expenses, then what a great opportunity for you to show off resposnibly... lets face it we all like to show off our boats , right .. you know pride in your boat. ;)

Just my thoughts tho Troy...

Cheers,
Tony 8-)
PS the Nic Bros sure know how to put a boat together ;)

drevil
18-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, sort it out front with the guy wanting the test ride. Why don't you invite him to be your deckie for the day next time you are heading out. If you normally share fuel costs with deckies, make sure he knows that.

And at the same time, ring the dealership and say that if you send a guyover ready to buy beacuse of your groundwork, is a there a commission or spotters fee available.

Nothing is that inappropriate, as long as you make everything clear at the beginning and not afterwards.

frankj
18-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Troy

If it was me and the punter appears a serious buyer, I would agree to take him out if he paid the expenses. That would test the punter to make sure he doesn't just want a free trip. If it was a fishing trip, share the expenses as you normally would, then it's a win win.
I would also ring the dealer, with the punters knowledge, and explain the situation and ask the dealer if he would come to some arrangement for a commission of some sort if a sale resulted. If he agrees, get something oin writing.
Who knows what the dealer may think, he has a chance of a good sale without all the demo hassle. He might think it's a good deal.

Nothing ventured etc.

My two bobs worth.
Frank

cooky
18-04-2006, 11:34 AM
I am about 50 klms one way from the nearest boat ramp and i would have to pay fuel for my vehicle plus fuel for my boat.
Maybe i am in the wrong for asking a fee.

Some car yards do offer a referral fee. I remember when I was one of the first people to buy a new model Jeep years ago - the car yard did me a good deal because they only sell lots when they're OUT being used and people see them. If I referred people to car yard resulting in sale then they sent me a cheque. I never bothered from memory. They also asked permission for interested people to contact me. They even got me and 2 other owners involved in press releases (photos and quotes).

Smart operators would pay a referral fee to people like you. Perfect salespeople - using the boat, spent loads of $$$ and know people with similar interests and $$$$.

I can be a bloody good sales person when passionate about something. I have been quite passionate about my Hilux, but don't refer people to the place I bought it from because they were hopeless and I don't want to reward them for being inefficient. Maybe if they offered say $200 - I could have made myself a couple of grand by now - they would have made heaps.

troy
18-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Question.
What happens if the dealer does not have the boat concerned in stock.
Then to have any chance of a sale he would have to borrow one off a client he has sold one to.
If he then gets a sale does he offer the client anything for his trouble.
The way i see the dealer wins both ways as he has sold another boat through the client and without the client he would have lost a sale.
Troy

finga64
18-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Firstly it would depend on the dealer. If you've had good service it shouldn't be a problem.
If I had the boat and this dealer rang me I'd be wanting some compensation for the fuel at least or cheaper services or something similar. The old you scratch my back I'll scratch yours theory.

If the dealer is a shocker I'd be wanting money up front. Not just fuel but money for my time and effort as well. Boats aren't cheap to hire either.

Wouldn't worry about the see what happens if I get a sale bit.

But everything would be upfront from the word go.

peterreb
18-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Mate, I put mine in a yard on consignment,they wanted 10% of what it sold for.
You can only ask??
Cheers Peter

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Who cares who gets what? This bloke approached you Troy, you agreed, and now you want the dealer to pay for it!!!!

I can understand you feel you would like something but really, is it necessary?? This new found friend of yours might become a bloody good mate, a friend for ever more. You never know. You've done a bloke a favour and a good turn as your own choice.

Leave it at that mate.

Cheers

Dave

finding_time
18-04-2006, 05:05 PM

Problem solved troy, Go and approch a haines dealer because as soon as he rides in the CC he'll buy a haines for sure!!! ;D ;D

PinHead
18-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I will gladly take someone for a run in mine...a good excuse to get out in it (not that I really need one )

skippa
18-04-2006, 07:25 PM

Problem solved troy, Go and approch a haines dealer because as soon as he rides in the CC he'll buy a haines for sure!!! ;D ;D

To be honest I'm suprised our passonate Haines Hunter owners on this site haven't made this comment earlier ;D ;D

troy
18-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Who cares who gets what? This bloke approached you Troy, you agreed, and now you want the dealer to pay for it!!!!

I can understand you feel you would like something but really, is it necessary?? This new found friend of yours might become a bloody good mate, a friend for ever more. You never know. You've done a bloke a favour and a good turn as your own choice.

Leave it at that mate.

Cheers

Dave
Real Nauti fair go mate i did not agree to anythink and also mate if you have money to burn good luck to you.
Are you trying to tell me you would spend 150.00 in the hope this bloke could be a friend for life.
Are you saying on this site that you would do what i have been asked to do.
Do a bloke a favour.
Well mate what do you call a favour.
Would you do it and if so i will do it and you can refund me.
Fair enough.
Troy

Owen
18-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Troy,
It seems a bit like you're putting the horse in front of the cart.
You've said that the dealer knows nothing about it and that this guy hasn't even approached them.
Therefore you're only dealing with the guy who wants the test run.
Sure, you could contact the dealer at ths stage and sound them out, but the main thing is to let the guy know that he is up for any expenses incurred during the test. It's too late once you've put the boat in the water.
If he's not prepared to spring for 100% of the costs then I wouldn't do it. Let him go to the dealer.
Keep in mind if you were to say, hit a submerged log while demonstrating the boat, you can bet your bottom dollar you won't get offered anything towards the repairs.

If someone wanted to come for a spin in my boat, I'd most likely do it gratis, but then I'm minutes away from several ramps and always looking for an excuse to get on the water. Also the running costs of my boat are relatively low.

cheers,
Owen

troy
18-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Owen i agree with some of your comments but my case is a lot different.
Our ramps are tidal and to take someone for a test run would take about 4 hours plus costs.
If it was a friend or a Ausfish member or i was already at the ramp it would be different.
I am not after a commission and going by some replys i must be in the wrong.
Troy

2iar
18-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Troy,
It seems a bit like you're putting the horse in front of the cart.

Isn't that where the horse is supposed to be? :-/

Only pulling your leg mate, we knew what you meant ;D ;)

Good luck,
Mike

flyingfish
18-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Isn't that where the horse is supposed to be? #

different for boaties, the horses are at the back ::) ;D ;D

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
18-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Troy

I'm not suggesting that you put yourself in the red for hundreds of dollars. If you happen to be heading out, what is the harm in taking a fellow enthusiast with you. Isn't that what we're all about.
Reading your thread, I can't help but wonder if you are focusing more on what might be in it for you, as opposed to helping someone out. I don't mean to offend you by this remark, but I'm calling a spade a spade.

Cheers
Dave

Mr__Bean
18-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Just my opinion, but I reckon it is a bit cheeky to try and get something out of the dealer, especially if he hasn't been privvy to the discussions.

In any case this guy is going to be paying for it, whether it is up front to you or whether it is to the dealer then passed on to you. Either way the buyer pays.

Best sort it out with him.

Hmmmm, what are you going to do if you do take him out and he decides not to go ahead with the purchase, unless you sort it with the buyer you are left exposed. Best to be up front about boating costs I reckon.

- Darren

Angla
19-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Troy

If it was me and the punter appears a serious buyer, I would agree to take him out if he paid the expenses. That would test the punter to make sure he doesn't just want a free trip. If it was a fishing trip, share the expenses as you normally would, then it's a win win.
I would also ring the dealer, with the punters knowledge, and explain the situation and ask the dealer if he would come to some arrangement for a commission of some sort if a sale resulted. If he agrees, get something oin writing.
Who knows what the dealer may think, he has a chance of a good sale without all the demo hassle. He might think it's a good deal.

Nothing ventured etc.

My two bobs worth.
Frank

I think that Frankj has summed it up

Given what is more like the full story. Offer the guy a fishing trip where he pays like half the costs and you might lend him a rod for free. Explain that it may be a four hour trip and that he should bring tea and bikkies.
Then if he says" Mate! I love the boat and I'm gunna gets me one" . At that point I would point him to the local dealer and suggest that you will be in touch with the dealer about a spotters fee to be fair as you have saved the dealer lots of work.

Aside from that. When I ordered my Outsider, I walked into the yard and said order me one of them thanks, and how much will that be with these items fitted. Left a cheque. I'll be back when shes built to give you the rest of the $ and take it home. "Would you like to take the new boat for a spin with us?" No thanks, as the family is waiting to take it for a spin. And I was gone. I knew what the boat was capable of and no boat is ever perfect, but this is close enough for me.

Chris

Oh, and definitely get confirmation from the dealer in writing before the guy gets there, but after the fishing trip.

troy
19-04-2006, 05:59 AM
Troy

I'm not suggesting that you put yourself in the red for hundreds of dollars. If you happen to be heading out, what is the harm in taking a fellow enthusiast with you. Isn't that what we're all about.
Reading your thread, I can't help but wonder if you are focusing more on what might be in it for you, as opposed to helping someone out. I don't mean to offend you by this remark, but I'm calling a spade a spade.

Cheers
Dave
Real Nauti you obviously do not know me and by suggesting that i might be more interested in what is in it for me i find very insulting.
You can think what you like mate as nothing could be further from the truth.
I put up a post to see what peoples opinions were and that is all.
For friends i have gone from home down to the ramp and over to the cape to pick them up and bring them home and i have never asked for a cent.
Read what i have posted and show me where you have come to this rude and insulting conclusion.
I am no saint Real Nauti but you are really starting to get down in the gutter.
Troy

troy
19-04-2006, 06:03 AM

FindingTime
That could be a possibility even though it would be a bad mistake. ;)
Troy

flyingfish
19-04-2006, 08:06 AM
talking about horses--they have bolted. Running a boat is damn expensive especially with the price of fuel these days. $1.40 per litre in NSW and going up. An agreement regarding expenses should have been made before the boat leaves your driveway next time. Troy, I think you are great for doing it in the first place without mention of money and I definitely think the prospective buyer is off questionable character for not offering to pay for all or some of the expense incurred.

If he is a friend --shame on him. #:P
If he is not a friend--best to stay that way. #:-?
If he is family--different story :o

cheers :)

cooky
19-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Real Nauti you obviously do not no me and by suggesting that i might be more interested in what is in it for me i find very insulting.
For friends i have gone from home down to the ramp and over to the cape to pick them up and bring them home and i have never asked for a cent.

Troy, I don't know you, but I've read a fair few of your posts over the months and am a pretty good judge of character. Throw that in with the area you live in - I can pretty much guarantee you are not the sort of bloke to think about "what's in it for me?".
You'd really have to sort it out with the dealer before you take this guy for a test run. Give them a call and let them know a bloke you don't know has contacted you and asked for a test run because you are closer to him than the dealer. Ask them whether there is a free service or say $500 in it for you (if he buys one), because you don't have much time available.
I'm sure in an $80,000 boat there is plenty left for $500 or so. If they give you a free service to the value of $500, then that $500 is $500 worth to you, but maybe $300 cost to them.
once this is sorted out, then call the guy and let him know you're happy to take him out because you love the boat and you're sure he'll be impressed, BUT it's not cheap to run and he'll need to throw in $150-200.
To be honest with you, if he's not willing to pay $200 for a run in an $80,000 boat - he's not serious and is dreaming. If you can afford that for a boat, then $200 is f**k all. If he's ever owned a boat, then he'll be used to throwing money away anyway ;)

Owen
19-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Isn't that where the horse is supposed to be? #:-/
Only pulling your leg mate, we knew what you meant #;D ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D
Good thing I'm not a proof reader for medical procedure manuals #;) ;)

Maybe this is why I could understand what Joh was talking about # [smiley=stupid.gif]

Troy,
I don't think there's any right or wrong. Maybe some perceive differently.
Like I said, in your position, I wouldn't do it for nothing, but it's the guy that wants the ride that should cough up in the first instance.

cheers,
Owen

troy
19-04-2006, 07:32 PM
I wish to say thanks to 99% of who have replied to this thread and i appreciate your honesty.
It was a shame when this thread can be turned around and it becomes personal.
At know stage was i trying to take advantage of this situation.
The last i will say on this and it really has nothing to do with my thread is this.
I was in business for a lot of years and if i knew someone was going out of there way to send customers to me instead of my oppossion i would not hesitate to pass on a bonus or what he considered a fair deal.
You would have to be stupid not to.
Troy

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
19-04-2006, 08:26 PM
If you are the main reason why someone buys a boat like your own and you do all the ground work and take him for test runs is it fair to hit the dealer for commission.
Troy
and then you add Troy that at no stage were you trying to take advantage of the situation.

Beats me

Dave

troy
20-04-2006, 06:03 AM
[quote author=troy link=1145146842/0#0 date=1145146841]If you are the main reason why someone buys a boat like your own and you do all the ground work and take him for test runs is it fair to hit the dealer for commission.
Troy
and then you add Troy that at no stage were you trying to take advantage of the situation.
Beats me.
Dave

Real Nauti i asked a question whether it was fair.
Beats me how you can read i was trying to take advantage of the situation or as you put it that i am more interested in what is in it for me.
If you were trying to insult me well you did a good job.
Interesting how you added my last post in when i asked you to show me how you could come to a insulting conclusion [ of focusing what is in it for me].
Troy

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
20-04-2006, 08:15 AM
I didn't mean, or intend, to insult you Troy. I was calling it as I see it. I apologise if I have offended you and hurt you as that was never the intention.

Cheers
Dave

troy
20-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Fair enough Real Nauti.
All i can say is you must of misread what i was saying.
No hard feelings.
Troy

gogecko
20-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Nice to see everybodys mates again. Nothin wrong with keeping an eye out for an opportunity to make a fee.

FWIW, as a sales manager, Im always happy to pay a spotters fee, provided Im told about it before I negotiate with the buyer. Most dealers would love to pay a fee. But consider this, the buyer may buy from another dealer, may buy another brand, may buy second hand. Keep in mind that the buyer is far from comitted to doing this deal.

Therefore,
get your test run fee from the buyer up front, and charge whatever fee you think is fair. Tell him you will negotiate a spotters fee from the dealer, and you will refund the 'test run" cost if/when you get paid from the dealer.

This is the fairest way to do it. If the buyer is genuine, he should have no objections.

Andrew

revs57
20-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Good words of wisdom Andrew

PinHead
20-04-2006, 05:26 PM
Real Nauti you obviously do not no me and by suggesting that i might be more interested in what is in it for me i find very insulting.

Troy, I don't know you, but I've read a fair few of your posts over the months and am a pretty good judge of character. #Throw that in with the area you live in - I can pretty much guarantee you are not the sort of bloke to think about "what's in it for me?". #
You'd really have to sort it out with the dealer before you take this guy for a test run. #Give them a call and let them know a bloke you don't know has contacted you and asked for a test run because you are closer to him than the dealer. #Ask them whether there is a free service or say $500 in it for you (if he buys one), because you don't have much time available. #
I'm sure in an $80,000 boat there is plenty left for $500 or so. #If they give you a free service to the value of $500, then that $500 is $500 worth to you, but maybe $300 cost to them.
once this is sorted out, then call the guy and let him know you're happy to take him out because you love the boat and you're sure he'll be impressed, BUT it's not cheap to run and he'll need to throw in $150-200.
To be honest with you, if he's not willing to pay $200 for a run in an $80,000 boat - he's not serious and is dreaming. #If you can afford that for a boat, then $200 is f**k all. # If he's ever owned a boat, then he'll be used to throwing money away anyway ;)

I would never dream of asking anyone to pay $200 for a run in the boat

troy
20-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Pinhead everyone has there opinion and that is the way it should be.
Cooky stood by me in this thread and i am greatfull for that.
But mate i do not think you realised the situation up here in Nth QLD.
If i or anyone else had to demo a boat as i have stated before it would take a least 4 hours plus fuel costs of the vehicle of 110 klms and another say 30 klms for the boat plus having to come home and wash your boat and you said there is no way you would charge 200.00.
You do your own figures and work out what you would thing it would cost.
Why i state 30 klms for the boat you cannot take someone for test drive in calm waters so you have to go out in unprotected seas.
As i said before imagine if you lived in Brisbane and you had to take someone for a demo at the Gold Coast what would you charge or if you would do it for free then all i can say is you are a very genereous person and you need to be congratualed.
Please do not take this as if i am having a go at you because i am not and i would hope people can enjoy Ausfish without people sniping at each other.
Troy

PinHead
20-04-2006, 07:50 PM
troy..no one is sniping..I just cannot understand why you say you "had to demo a boat"..you don't have to.

I do live in Brisbane and my boat is at the Gold Coast..I have taken quite a few people out in mine and not asked for a cent from any of them...I enjoy boating and the company...never a problem. I would even take someone for a run if they were considering purchasing a similar boat...my only rule is I can only take one child at a time as I only have one child's lifejacket on board...other than that..it is all good fun.

troy
21-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Pinhead as Owen stated previously i might be putting the cart in front of the horse.
I hope i do not hear anymore from this bloke as when he rang me he was not after a simple test run .
He was more hinting at going to the shoals and really giving the boat a good work out and then coming back and picking up his wife and son and take them for a ride also.
Our ramps are tidal and it would not be a very relaxing day.
Hope i have cleared this up .
Troy

Captain_Starli
21-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Troy, if he rings again, be blunt.. point out the inconvenience & cost to do what he asks.
If you don't mind taking him for the run,tell him up front it will cost him, you are not the boat yard & definately not a charity. work out what it will be & also ask for it up front, take him for the run & leave it at that. I wouldn't worry about the boat yard, just cover your costs to do what he asks, or pinhead can send you a cheque as he is obviously loaded & money is of no consequence ;D
either he will agree or he will go & get the dealer what they are supposed to do when selling a boat..
good luck..

PinHead
21-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Troy, if he rings again, be blunt.. point out the inconvenience & cost to do what he asks.
If you don't mind taking him for the run,tell him up front it will cost him, you are not the boat yard & definately not a charity. work out what it will be & also ask for it up front, take him for the run & leave it at that. I wouldn't worry about the boat yard, just cover your costs to do what he asks, or pinhead can send you a cheque as he is obviously loaded & money is of no consequence ;D
either he will agree or he will go & get the dealer what they are supposed to do when selling a boat..
good luck..

now why would i want to send troy a cheque? not my concern if he wants to take someone for a ride in his boat or not..but..if he charges..I just hope he has the necessary insurance and licenses to charge people .

So Mr Cat Food..you charge everyone that goes out in your boat??? pretty spooky scenario that is..I enjoy boating and fishing...I NEVER charge people to go out on my boat..simple, as previously stated..you choose the right company..then it is priceless.

bidkev
21-04-2006, 05:36 PM
[quote author=MrWhiskers link=1145146842/45#50 date=1145581800
<snip>

I NEVER charge people to go out on my boat..simple, as previously stated..you choose the right company..then it is priceless.

You'd charge me then? ;) ;D

kev

A good marriage is like a casserole: only those involved actually know what goes into it.

PinHead
21-04-2006, 06:02 PM
[quote author=MrWhiskers link=1145146842/45#50 date=1145581800
<snip>

I NEVER charge people to go out on my boat..simple, as previously stated..you choose the right company..then it is priceless.

You'd charge me then? ;) ;D

kev

A good marriage is like a casserole: only those involved actually know what goes into it.

LOL...nah Kev..you are welcome anytime..no charge involved

John_R
21-04-2006, 07:34 PM
We always split the costs when we go fishing.

If this guy wants Troy to take him out for a demo and that is the only purpose of the exercise I would say Troy should estimate the cost and tell him up front. No agreement - no demo - no problem.

:D

troy
21-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Pinhead come clean you have money to burn.
I have seen pictures of that beautiful boat you recently purchased and i sent you a pm to say you should be really proud of yourself.
But when you replied to me that it was only your tender for your 15 metre cruiser with all the acessiores including topless call girls well i just could not handle that.
Jealously is a curse but what a way to go.
ENJOY.
Troy

PinHead
21-04-2006, 09:52 PM
troy..dunno where you got the pm from..but it was not from me...I think I have sent a total of about 10pm's the entire time i have been on Ausfish.
topless call girls???not bloody likely..wife would kill me.

My boat is 10metre long ...and I am happy with it.

I also don't know where you get the idea I have money to burn.

cooky
21-04-2006, 10:51 PM
I would never dream of asking anyone to pay $200 for a run in the boat

So Mr Cat Food..you charge everyone that goes out in your boat??? pretty spooky scenario that is..I enjoy boating and fishing...I NEVER charge people to go out on my boat..simple, as previously stated..you choose the right company..then it is priceless.

Pinhead. Mate, I am no where near as experienced as you and have only had just over 18months total boat ownership. In this time I have yet to take ANY money from any guest on my boat. Sure I've had lunch or a few beers or bait shouted, but as an example a few $100+ trips (fuel only) I haven't received or asked or expected any cash (I refuse offers). I too enjoy the company.

I'm sure Troy is exactly the same. In fact I'm pretty sure if I mentioned to Troy that I was thinking about heading up to his area and he was going out, that he would be the same (although I would certainly want to pay my way as owning a boat I know what they cost to run).

A lot of my mates and people I take out don't own boats or know what they cost.

Although if it was some person I didn't know from a bar of soap I just don't think I'd be able to stretch. I am a busy person and it's hard enough to spend time in the boat as it is, without spending it with someone I don't know.

If I had the luxury of reasonable disposable income and more time, well it might be a different story, but with my own business and two kids under 3yrs - time to scratch my arse, let alone take the boat out is limited.

PinHead
22-04-2006, 03:46 AM
cooky..I know the feeling oh so well...I too have my own business...could not get out on the boat at all between Xmas and the end of February, but mate, you really do have to make the time for that scratch..it gets infuriating if you don't scratch it. Plus...gotta spend the time with the kids...that will be something you will regret forever if you don't.

troy
22-04-2006, 06:02 AM
Pinhead only having a joke with you about pm and money to burn.
Troy

catchy_fishy
22-04-2006, 07:22 AM
I have been fascinated at this @rse scratching e-mail.

In my opinion this is easy, like Troy for me bucks are tight and like others fishing time is precious.

No discussion - quote a price for the demo.

Even if you've already agreed to go out at your cost, contact the guy (or next time he makes contact) tell him you have been doing some thinking, and with no hard feelings intended you would like to charge for the demo based on the costs involved that you will incur for a four hour demo - and give them to him straight up - no mark up or anything - just as they are.

You could suggest that an alternative would be for him to meet you with his family at the ramp on ..... whatever day you next plan to go fishing - and you would be happoy to take him for a quick ride in the calm waters (20 minutes - to get a feel for the boat), no costs, but limited to just a "spin"

Get him to sign an indemnity form - either way but especially if you are charging him.

Then me being the greedy type - and yes I would do this for what's in it for me. ;) (You need to know me before you chirp). (I'm in sales and live for the deal. I aim to win at all costs). Get hold of the dealer, tell him you are doing a demo of a boat and where and when you will be there. Ask for the $500, and tell the dealer to meet you there with their top salesman to come on the boat as well. Tell the dealer this guy is hot to buy. Then if you are really cheeky ask them to pay for the trip (and tell the buyer that if the dealer pays for the trip you will refund him half of his costs - the balance will then be for your time.)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D - Ask for everything.

Points to note - I will go to the ends of the earth for my mates if they are in trouble. But the same mates share boating costs with me.

I have a boat and they do not. If they want to go fishing, there is a common understanding that is an unwritten rule - petrol and launch fees are shared costs, equally - I look after maintenance.

Other guys I know have syndicated boats because its the only way they can afford to own boats - I prefer my arrangement.

Try it - who knows - maybe you'll get a $500 incentive and petrol for a four hour test - hell who knows, you may even learn a thing or two about your boat.

Lastly - tie down an exclusivity agreement with the dealership to all future boat demos for all interested buyers in your area under a similar arrangement - get them to pay you a small amount for your time, and for all costs. It could be a nice side line.
:P
Catchy Fishy

Dignity
22-04-2006, 07:28 AM
Troy, I thimk Andrew has the most sensible solution, as you have mentioned the person who asked you is a virtual stranger. Sounds not as simple as originally stated, I think it is more than likely he is trying to get his family interested in boating so could be along drawn out scenario. I take friends out with me and don't ask anything in return, some pay for diffent items eg bait etc, some want to split the costs up the middle, others don't - I don't own a business and money is very tight for me but I don't think any different about them because of it as I would have gone out and often ask people to come along for company. As a matter of interest I have previously approached my insurance company in writing about friends sharing running costs and provided it was an informal arrangement and not an ongoing concern there wasn't an issue with it. Your case would be different as you would be recovering costs and then there would be implications so that would need to be checked out first before you made a commitment. Guess the answer is to be upfront with everyone concerned then there can be no reciminations.

sam

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2006, 08:05 AM
It might be easier if you were like me Troy....

No friends, No boat and No money ;D ;D ;D

all adds up to no problems 8-)

Cheers

Pete

Sportfish_5
22-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Troy - if the guy is fair dinkum about buying one then covering the costs for a trip out with you will be no issue for him. I would not hesitate to offer the $$ to cover any costs for an independant test on a boat I wanted to buy.

I dont think you would have much chance of a spotters fee from the dealer but maybe worth a phone call to ask them what happens if he buys from them locally ? Maybe a free service/discount coupon etc - you never know your luck as the opinion of a happy owner goes much further with potential buyers than a salesman's dribble.

Cheers

Greg

troy
22-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Greg i might push him on to Grand Marlin as he is feeling left out. ;D ;D
Troy
ps i forgot to mention he hates pussies so really if that is the case he would not buy a boat like mine.
He wants the best over all boat and mine would not be in that class.
Jesus you do not know how much that hurt to say that ;bloody Grand Marlin will think all his birthdays have come at once.

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2006, 06:06 PM
TROY :o :o :o

I had to read that twice, clean my glasses and read it again ....

Welcome to the gathering of the newly converted to Cats, my Son.

I am so pleased you have seen the light... [smiley=angel.gif]

Signed

Father Grand_Marlin 8-)

revs57
22-04-2006, 07:05 PM
please spare me guys ;D ;D ;D

troy
22-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Grand Marlin i have just been taken away and put in a clinic for having a nervous break down.
They have found that i was suffering from amnesia.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
22-04-2006, 08:26 PM
That is no good to hear Troy,

An absolute CATastrophe ;D ;D ;D

:-X

Pete

revs57
22-04-2006, 08:57 PM
you blokes are a crack up ;D ;D ;D

castlemaine
23-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi guys I'm only a new member but over 1200 viewings in 7 days. WOW. It's good reading but hope it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek. It's sounds a bit narky at some stages. 'Opinions are just that' a good friend once told me.

troy
23-04-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi guys I'm only a new member but over 1200 viewings in 7 days. WOW. It's good reading but hope it's all a bit tongue-in-cheek. It's sounds a bit narky at some stages. 'Opinions are just that' a good friend once told me.
Castlemaine we get over it pretty quick impossible for everyone to agree.
Be a different story if a previous member was still on the site then you would see [narky] would not even be in the ball park.
Troy

Grand_Marlin
24-04-2006, 06:05 AM
Troy,
It is funny he hasnt surfaced again....
The last I heard from him was a PM...
Do you remember that 8m tri hull that my friends built down in Tassie? I posted it on either the Cats go for it or Monos this is our turn thread.
Anyway, the PM from him was demanding all my contact information and the contact information for my friends in Tassie, as he believed that the moulds used to make the tri hull were part of an insurance scam here in Brisbane.
Apparently the moulds were destroyed in fire, but he is suggesting they were sold off before the fire and then claimed on insurance....

All an absolute crock of $hit, but that was just typical him...

The moulds used were designed and built by my friends.

I just let the Mods know that it wasnt warranted and certainly wasnt appreciated, and havent seen or heard of him since.

Cheers

Pete

seatime
24-04-2006, 11:38 AM
If it's who I think ur talking about he's annoying Fishnet forums, I reckon it's him that has been accused of being "in the purple circle with the mods" over there.

Grand_Marlin
24-04-2006, 12:40 PM
I might have to hunt him down again ;D
Start up another alias, and ask about water in fuel ... or cats ;D ;D ;D

(not)

Cheers

Pete

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
24-04-2006, 03:44 PM
He's had a red card from this site GM.

Cheers
Dave

troy
24-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Pete i always new he was a sarcastic and arrogant person but i never thought he would go as far as what he did with you.
Even though from memory i do recall him making vieled threats.
Anyway he is gone now but i know how you would have felt as towards the end i did not want to post anymore as he used ruin threads as though it was on purpose.
Troy

revs57
24-04-2006, 03:57 PM
It was on purpose Troy...it was his sence of power and that really irked me...never really gave any meaningful info...and never shared anything of himself or his own experiences...only ever sledged from a high and mighty tower...the sadness is I think he may have had some worthwhile contribution to make if he could have gotten over himself

I'm glad its over though...don't have to wade through heaps of nonesence and veiled threats to get to the good stuff

Sad to say but we are all the better now

Cheers

Rhys

Grand_Marlin
24-04-2006, 05:59 PM
The thing i liked, and why I persisted with his $hit, was because no matter how hard he tried, I / we always beat him in the end :D

As you said revs, if he could be civil, I am sure he has a lot of knowledge to share ... he is certainly no idiot, he just choses to think himself above everyone else. More to the point, he thinks he knows far better than anyone else...

Cheers

Pete