PDA

View Full Version : MERCURY 115 DISMANTLE PROBLEMS

danytink
23-04-2006, 06:14 PM
G'day,

I'm pulling the bottom yoke piece off my 115 Mercury two stroke, it's approximately a 1990 model.

The bearing has dropped out and spins around the drive shaft - yeah, ratshit. The problem I'm having is getting the yoke clamp off. The two large nuts on either side have been taken off and the plastic covers on either side have been removed. This has exposed the two large bolts which run through to the yoke and two smaller nuts which hold another type of ally cover on - which are badly corroded.

Does the yoke clamp split in half or is it one unit and just meant to slide off the bolts somehow?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Dan

Spaniard_King
23-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Dan,

a picture tells a thousand storries. Your terminollgy has me baffled. can you post a picture of the area concerned this would help us assist you immensely

cheers

Garry

blaze
23-04-2006, 06:24 PM
maybe talking about lower mounts on the leg
cheers
blaze

danytink
24-04-2006, 09:44 AM
.....here is a picture......

Yeah, I dont know what you call it, but there are two nuts I have taken off, one bolt end you can see in the picture and the other one on the other side is not in the picture. #Also you can see the same bolt which wont come out because there is not enough space to pull it backwards, unless those two smaller nut heads lift the cover or something?

Also, can the small driveshaft (..it is a driveshaft of something - right?) be removed from the top of the engine so as to get the bracket off? #You can just see the bearing underneath sitting on the cavitation plate - it needs the small driveshaft to be removed before it can come off also.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dan

blaze
24-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Behind them 2 rusty small bolts (under the cover) is the rubber mount. Take out the 2 small bolts and remove the front clamp(where you have removed the nuts) and then the bolts and rubber mounts will come out.
Looking at the corrosion I feel that you are missing a small earth strap (or broken) that is require to make an earth between the leg and motor to allow you sacrificial anodes work.
The other shaft, not understanding at this point (prop shaft)?

ps you may need to warm up the clamp with gas and spray with lots of lube.
with the small bolts, if you heat (very carefully) the heads of the bolts to a cherry red color (this will expand the threads a small amount) and then quench untill completely cold. They may come out then without breaking.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE TRY TO UNDO ANY BOLY WHILST IT IS HOT AS THIS WILL BIND THE THREADS and you will find yourself in more trouble than the early settlers
cheers
blaze

danytink
24-04-2006, 12:29 PM
.....earth strap is on the other side and is intact....

The small drive shaft comes down through the centre of the clamp and looks too small to be a drive shaft??? #It's about 8 mill diameter at best??? #Does it remove easily???

The whole clamp is loose on the bolt shafts and looks as though it will slide off but I did have questions if it also split in two - can't determine that because I cant see a seam on it??

Yeah, those little bolts are frozen, will heat affect the ally around them??? #Also, does the clamp have a clip or something underneath which holds the bearings in place???

danytink
25-04-2006, 04:59 PM
......hmmmmmm......?????

blaze
25-04-2006, 05:20 PM
if you use a small tip with oxy/acetalne with a hot flame directed at the centre of the bolt and when that is close to cherry red, then do a couple of laps around the bolt. Beware the ali can get that hot and drop away without any change in colour. I have a heat resistant paste that I apply around the bolt heads to try and keep the heat away from the alloy.
cheers
blaze