PDA

View Full Version : Piston Problems

Changa79
25-04-2006, 11:45 AM
My mate took my 30 Yam 2 stroke out while I was on holidays and decided to run it without oil!!!! I am probably up for new pistons and pods. Can anyone tell what sort of cost I am looking at?

ahoj
25-04-2006, 12:21 PM
Have you tried to start it? now with oil?' Place your motor upward take of spark plugs and use CRC slowly move the flywheel forwards and back if you succesful empty the crc out by turning the motor downwards... add a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder and move up and down so you can lubricate the crankshaft and bearings... if you can't move the pistons at all need to disassamble and replace most parts cost?? depending how old the motor is... see if you can find one the same model that is running

Ahoj

Changa79
25-04-2006, 01:18 PM
The motor runs although it is not sounding the best. Knocking sounds at idle and missing during throttle. I have taken out the spark plugs and the inside looks very black. The motor has only done around 80hrs I think a 2002 model.

stork71
25-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Best you go for another holiday again...Hopefully your mate will sort it out for you while your gone!!

Spaniard_King
25-04-2006, 02:31 PM
Hmmm,

Yammy cranks are fully pressed, ie the rods come assembled on the crank. I think they start at about $1100 for a crank. Pistons and rings $130 each. Not much change outa $2K if it's a full rebuild

Garry

FNQCairns
25-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Garry are they not rebuildable? I rebuilt a Suzuki that had a pressed crank, it was unpressed, machined then repressed and balanced, is it not possible with the Yam? Good info to know so I never accidentally buy an engine I cannot rebuild if necessary.

Changa to me anyway a full rebuild is in order, or you can do 1/3 of the job and flog it off, plenty of those out there >:( (not saying you would do that)

Cheers fnq

Changa79
25-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the info, Back to land fishing for now!!!

Spaniard_King
25-04-2006, 04:50 PM
FNQ,

Yes they are rebuildable, I have used serco in Brisbane to press a crank apart and back together again. The difficulty in the whole operation was getting con rods and crank pins. Yammaha dealers werent much help, ended up getting them from a dealer in the northern subburbs of sydney.

Garry

FNQCairns
26-04-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks Garry for the info, thats also the mob I delt with, it's good to see they are still up and running.

cheers fnq