PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat or paint????

Thebuffalo
24-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Some may be aware that I have a Bertram 20' with an inboard that I am going to do up.

I am intending to put a pod on it and get rid of the invoard as it is U/S

I was looking at the hull today and it is definitly in need of some TLC.

I was reading about gelcoat and paint and the pro's and con's. Some of the reports are that the paint would last longer than the gelcaot but would it give the same protection. The gelcoat would be harder to achieve but would maybe worthwhile.

My thought is that I could gelcoat below the waterline = less resistance better economy (maybe) and paint above.

What are your opinions. The boat is going to need to be gone right over anyway but a cost / labour effective approach is sought.

Cheers

Thebuffalo

blaze
24-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Is the boat going to live on a mooring/trailer (would depend on type of 2 pak).
I would use a good 2 pak paint
Check out the ants in the boat thread as they have just done a regelcoat.
cheers
blaze

Blackened
24-04-2006, 06:07 PM
G'day
Talk to Grand_Marlin about this. I run my own business as a detailer and will say straight out..... 2pac is the ONLY way to go. Providing it's professionally done.
Dave

garygusart2000
24-04-2006, 06:33 PM
I would have to say 2pak as it is as hard as and so much easier to apply ;)
Gus

castamasta
25-04-2006, 09:20 AM
hi buffalo,2 pac would do the job just fine.remember to use a quality product tho,dont mix brands and be fussy with your prep work.cheers ,casta.

johnnytheone
25-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Mate, use a good 2 pack paint. Remember, preparation is about 90% of the job. Good Luck

Thebuffalo
25-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Might do it in 2Pac :) hey!

Sounds like a plan. I have had a bit of experience now with 'The Buffalo' with two pac.

So what do you recommend with the two pac, International Marine or Jotun paints? I have used both, was pretty happy with the international paints first time around, are ther any others worth a plug?

The boat will be trailered always.

I haven't any real preference.

Is it worth using anti fouling paint below the water line?

Enough questions for now?

Thanks for the help, my gut feeling was two pac as it seemed easier to do.

Cheers

Thebuffalo

castamasta
25-04-2006, 05:49 PM
buffalo,there are plenty of good brands on the market,two you have mentioned.one thing is, make sure you dont buy garbage.also in my experience the marine brands are more expensive and may or may not be better than the better automotive products.hope thats not as confusing to you as it was to me when i reread it :)..cheers,casta.

frankj
25-04-2006, 06:10 PM
I used Watyl Poly-u 400 on a stacer 474 in 1998 and apart from the normal wear and tear it still looks good and the finish is as hard as anything I have seen.

Frank

Blackened
25-04-2006, 07:29 PM
G'day
In regards to it always bring trailered and antifoul..... dont foul if not kept in the water. Stick with a Marine 2pac. International, Jotun and Hempel are the ones i'd have a look at.
Dave

Thebuffalo
25-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Excuse my ignorance, is the wattle a 2 pac? It appears to have held up well frankj, I would certainly consider it. Money isn't really an issue though, other than sending the boat to town to get don 2K each way...... I would rather invest in good materials and hopefully save myself some labour. I am a bit of a Lazy bugger, believe it or not :)

I know I will probably pay more for marine brands but have had a good run so far. The paintwork that I completed on 'thebuffalo' held up well. Being steel though there was always somewhere that was missed.

Thanks for the advice on the antifouling paint, saw a mates with it and it looks a bit thick. My only thought was in relation to giving the keel a bit more protection. The waters up here a pretty well uncharted (not that this will help at WOT) but when beaching the boat etc, iwas thinking it may hold up a bit better. The 2 pac on the steel is pretty hardy.

Cheers

blaze
25-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Hi Buffalo
what about before painting you get some one (or yourself) to mould onto the keel line, 1 x600g matting - 1 x roven woven - 1 x 600gmatting, do that twice and it will give you about 5mm. It can be tapered out so it wont be visable and give you a really good protection zone on the keel.
just a thought
cheers
blaze

frankj
26-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Buffalo

I have to make a little clarification, I didn't spray the boat myself, so I don't really know what it's like to use.
I had the boat sand blasted and the sandblaster guy did the spraying for me. He was rough and ready, but despite this the paint has held up very well with very little fade. I trecently had a bit of welding done and bought some more paint from Wattyl and it is very difficult to see where the new paint is.
It can be applied by normal spray, airless, brush or roller and it is a 2 pack.
Not cheap, but none of these paints are.

Product Details - Poly U 400 - Standard & Rapid Recoat

Description
Poly-U-400 is a two part recoatable aliphatic isocyanate cured, acrylic polyurethane finish.
The product,
- has unlimited recoatability
- has excellent resistance to atmospheric exposure, colour and gloss retention
- produces a tough, flexible and abrasion resistant film
- is resistant to splash of mineral and vegetable oils, white spirit, paraffins, aliphatic petroleum products and splash of mild chemicals.

Search the Wattyl site for Home > Applicators > Marine & Aquaculture > Product Information > Product Search > PC - Polyurethane High-Gloss Coatings.

I don't want to paste the URL because of Ausfish rules.

Frank

Thebuffalo
26-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks Frank. Sounds just like what I am after. I will certainly consider it when the time comes. I appreciate you taking the time to get the details for me.

Cheers

Thebuffalo