PDA

View Full Version : Compass position

2iar
24-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi All,

When I put a compass in my boat, the installation instructions said that it should be in the centre of the boat (ie over the keel). However, when chatting to another Ausfisher on the matter, he says it doesn't make any difference if it's on the starboard side (where the dash is). I'd prefer to move it to where the other guages are, so what's the scoop?

In the centre, or off to the right (or even the left if I was that way inclined I suppose)? Will it make any difference?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

seatime
24-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Hi 2iar, I really think they advise to mount it on the centreline so the lubber line can be sighted over the bow. It's reasonable to assume that this is the easiest and most effective way to steer by compass.

Compasses are carried as supplementary and emergency navigation tools not primary tools, not if u have GPS.(Qld)

I believe either some states or under survey u may be required to have the compass mounted in clear view, when looking ahead, and within 1m of the steering position. But don't quote me.

Mount the compass as far from ferrous metals as u can, or if u can't, make a trip to ur nearest compass adjustment buoy and adjust it after mounting. U can swing a compass anywhere but visual marks are easier to steer to than a GPS.
cheers Steve.

Grand_Marlin
24-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Dead right Steve,

It doesnt make any difference to the compass functioning. no matter where it is mounted.... keep the metals comment in mind though....

I like mine to be right in my line of sight, on the helm, so I can refer to it accurately whenever needed.

I find I refer to it a lot at night, or when in fog.

Cheers

Pete

2iar
24-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys,

I figured that was the case, because more often than not I've seen them mounted at the helm. Works out well for me, because that's where I'd prefer it to be, and if need be I can mount a GPS where the compass currently is.

I knew about the ferrous metals thingo, so I'll bear that in mind too.

Good luck,
Mike

nicko233
25-04-2006, 06:33 AM
gday ziar
i am about to mount a compass my self and could do with some pointers, compass adjustment bouy never heard of it how and where.

nicko

catchy_fishy
25-04-2006, 07:25 AM
As lomg as the lubber line lines up with the fore and aft of the boat (usually the keel strip is used as the reference) you will be OK.

See pic attached - heavy dotted line suggests that the lubber line can be refernced anywhere parallel top the keel strip

Grand_Marlin
25-04-2006, 08:31 AM
That is very graphic Mike, did it take you long to draw that ? ;D ;D ;D

Sorry ;)

Pete

2iar
25-04-2006, 09:22 AM
gday ziar
i am about to mount a compass my self and could do with some pointers, compass adjustment bouy never heard of it how and where.

nicko

Hi Nicko,

You should have installation instructions with your compass, and they'll advise how to calibrate it using a CAB. If you're in Brisbane there's one pretty much out the front of the river (you'll see it on any chart/B2B).

Good luck,
Mike

bidkev
25-04-2006, 10:49 AM
If the compass is showing "true" away from metal, you can then place it in your boat and take note of the swing from the influence of the metal. You can then adjust it accordingly. There is no need to travel to a bouy.

kev

An angry person is seldom reasonable; a reasonable person is seldom angry.

Angla
25-04-2006, 11:16 AM
If you drive the boat in a straight line and read the GPS track direction and then adjust the compass to read the same.
You could drive down a straight piece of road and get the Gps reading. then stop and adjust the compass to read the same. You can do this without being in the boat whilst it is moving as this would be illegal. A big carpark would do the trick too.

Chris

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
25-04-2006, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised to read that compasses are carried as supplementary and emergency tools, not as a primary tool, not if you have GPS in Qld.

Personally, I would rather put my life on a compass than a GPS.

Cheers
Dave

PinHead
25-04-2006, 01:47 PM
To operate a comapss with accuracy, you will need a deviation chart compiled by a licensed compass adjuster ..this will give the deviation in releveance to your boat. I f you want to navigate according to a chart you will need to have this deviation and taken in conjunction with the variation as taken from the compass rose on a chart..some simple maths and you can then convert your compass reading to a true reading...remember the readings on a chart are true ...you have to convert to get compass readings.

seatime
25-04-2006, 02:35 PM
Reel Nauti

Another badly worded post by me, in Qld u don't need to carry either a compass or GPS or any other nav tools by regulation (recreational boats).
I made an assumption that in Qld prudent boaties would carry one or the other, and if only a GPS was carried then a compass woudn't be needed.

Agreed that compasses should be carried and should be the primary nav tool but MSQ don't see it that way. Actually MSQ don't see very much the same way the rest of us do. Probably cause they have career public servants with nil maritime experience implementing regulations. I have witnessed this phenomenon first hand.

When adjusting a compass u are changing the magnetic influence on the compass. This will be achieved by moving the magnets suspended under the card or adding and removing magnets, depending on the type of compass. Theoretically the compass should be corrected on at least 4 points (N,S,E&W) as the errors will be different on these headings.
As Pinhead suggested draw up a deviation card for the 4 or 8 points of the compass that were corrected. Bear in mind the errors will change with a large change in latitude, so if u go on a big trip North u might need to re-adjust ur compass.

cheers Steve.

catchy_fishy
26-04-2006, 07:30 AM
That is very graphic Mike, did it take you long to draw that ? # ;D ;D ;D Sorry #;) Pete

Nope, but glad I could give you a good laugh.

Mike

catchy_fishy
26-04-2006, 07:35 AM
in Qld u don't need to carry either a compass or GPS or any other nav tools by regulation (recreational boats).

Shocked :o :o :o

In South Africa and Mozambique Waters you must have a compass by regulation, and carry a chart and a deviation card to calculate compass to true or vice versa. Variation is obviously obtained from the rose on the chart.

You are encouraged to also carry a GPS, and spare batteries / battery charging source.

Different rules make for interesting reading

Mike

seatime
26-04-2006, 11:22 AM
catchy_fishy

Unfortunately Maritime Safety Queensland wait to see how many deaths are caused by a particular activity, and how great the public outcry is, before they act. You have to remember everything they do has to be carefully handled to get the maximum vote catching power for whichever party is in gov't.
I used the word "prudent" as I hope Qld boaties have the sense to appreciate the dangers of boating without relying on MSQ to tell them.

There are standards and benchmarks set in Aus by the National Marine Safety Commitee Inc (NMSC), the "National Standard for Recreational Boat Safety Equipment 2004". The Australian Maritime Safety Authority also set safety standards. All states are signatories of the standards for recreational boats, but MSQ chooses to ignore sections when it pleases them, even to the point of having policies in direct conflict with national standards.
As the state with nearly the largest number of registered vessels in Australia, you could be accused of thinking we had the highest safety standards. The way maritime activities are controlled in Qld makes us look third world in comparison with other major maritime nations.
cheers, Steve.

catchy_fishy
27-04-2006, 05:28 AM
I hear you.

Mike