PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade our boat - now very confused!

Herm
24-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Guys

I am a new member here and I must say now I "try" to throw the hubby off eBay so I can get on here and see what is going on around the place! #I am sure he thinks I am having an online affair! #:D #A friend of mine sent me a link that a work colleague had started (1770 trip) and now I can't help myself - it is like a disease! #

Anyway - my question:

We are looking to upgrade our boat, we currently have a Savage Gannet (4.35m approx.) with a 40HP 2 stroke Mariner. #We mainly fish in Pumicestone Passage as my parents live on Golden Beach and mum loves the babysitting and my dad loves a fish too. #But we would also like to be able to head out off Caloundra to 3 Mile/5 Mile etc, when the weather suits. #Realistically, it would be used alot more in the passage, maybe 2 trips in 10 offshore.

We are after something a little bigger maybe 4.85m-5.2m, but the more we look around the more confused I am getting #:-? #I always thought that we would go for a runabout or a cuddy cabin as we have two tiddlers and thought it would be good if they could under cover and have a little nap. #We are looking to spend about $25k

A friend of mine (himself a mad fisherman) suggested maybe look at a bowrider for the extra seating up the front and pointed out that you can fish up there too. #We had not even considered one of these earlier as we had always looked at them and thought that the seating in the bow ate into the fishing space at the rear.

We are leaning towards an ally or a plate boat as my hubby's nickname is "Tony Bullimore" after being stranded in the passage a few years ago, so I am lead to believe that this would be a safer option for us, atleast until I get my boat license #;)

We live near the bay in Brisbane and have been to all of the local boatyards including Mr T's Tinnies (like the look of the Bluefin and the Trailcraft - what a lovely looking boat! Does anyone have one of these?) , Leisure Marine, Motorama Marine, John Crawford Marine (have a couple of bowriders at the moment), Wondall Road Marine (lovely plate boat here), #to gain inspiration but have just become more confused! #

Thanks for reading my post and I look forward to hearing all of your suggestions and things to beware of!

Janine :)
#

blaze
24-04-2006, 07:03 PM
fisher centre cab/walk around
Advertiser on this site
cheers
blaze

longtail
24-04-2006, 07:08 PM
welcome to ausfish janine #:D

as far as what you want , all i can do is tell you of the decision my wife and i made. #july of last year we took delivery of our new allycraft 480 challenger cuddy cab . great boat the kids love it , high sides(most important for younguns)

all up cost with a number of options was around $28 500 . thats brand new , you would pay less offcourse for used.

we spent a couple of months looking for a suitable craft before deciding on allycraft , it was the best value that we could find at the time.

hope this help in some way

below is a pic of my boat

cheers
jason

Herm
24-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your responses!

Hey Longtail, just saw your post re: Cruise Craft 550 Outsider. #Are you selling off your Ally?

Janine :D

Angla
24-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Janine,

Personally I am sold on the fibreglass boats but tinnies do have there place. The only advice I could give would be to look at the fishing deck in both the width and the length.

Obviously the further forward the cabin is, the more fishing deck. Width also adds to stability although there are other factors that determine this too.

I found that 5.2 metres was a good size for a first boat but when the family is unhappy. The Queen Mary would not be big enough to get away from them.

Chris

bassbasher
24-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Herm,
If you are gonna cross that Caloundra bar regularly, it is hard to go past a decent centre console. They really have the goods for bar crossings. They lift over waves instead of punching through and usually have a shallower draft making negotiating the shallows, a safer proposition.

revs57
24-04-2006, 10:24 PM
If you're looking for plate Janine, you'd be hard pushed to find better than Riptide or Fisher for build quality, innovation and value for money.

Check out www.riptidealloyboats.com.au. Dave Claussen is a fantastic bloke, very obliging and a brilliant craftsman...takes great pride in his boats. I'd be happy to take you and your hubby for a run in Flamin' Riptide sometime if you were interested. It's a 6mt Cuddy which is a little bigger than you were considering but it would give you an idea of the kind of craftsmanship Dave builds into his boats. Dave can be contacted on 33410088. I'm sure you would find him a goldmine of information and the thing with plate is the custom and personal touches you can build into the design.

www.fisherboats.com.au is another very well built craft. Col is an ausfisher and also a real craftsman that takes pride in his boats.

It can get confusin Janine, there are so many options around and every one has a different opinion...

Good luck with the research

Rhys

wayne_cook
25-04-2006, 12:06 AM
hi janine I have owned a 4.7 and now a 5meter trailcraft.(Runabouts)
The things I like about them are self draining deck, very stable fishing platform, plate not pressed alloy.
Not a bad boat for a fisherman, but for a family I think it would be toooo wet when traveling in wind, a bit to bumpy in heavy chop and no where to hide the youngins.
The 2 suggestions from Rhys look great but I don't think 25k will go far.(don't know their price)

For youngins a covered cab would be more practicle for shelter than a bowrider or center console which offer little protection imo.

There are some great priced 2nd hand glass boats about which might better suit your price range and family needs.

Would not pass up that offer of a run in riptide.

hope this helps.

longtail
25-04-2006, 04:02 AM
janine - don't know yet . i am considering it though.

jason

Jeremy
25-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Herm,
If you are gonna cross that Caloundra bar regularly, it is hard to go past a decent centre console. They really have the goods for bar crossings. They lift over waves instead of punching through and usually have a shallower draft making negotiating the shallows, a safer proposition.

Lift over the waves instead of punching through? All that due simply to helm configuration? Cut it out ::)

Janine,

I cross the Caloundra bar regularly in a 4.5 m centre console. It is a good fishing boat, but cabin style boats are much safer for bar crossings due to the cabin structure which can prevent water entering the boat if you take a wave over the bow. Centre consoles are also invariable 'wet' boats ie you will cop some spray in any chop and side wind. I am not a fan of the bowrider style boats, but same things apply to these as to the centre console. I believe the cabin style boat is more suited to families due to the protected cabin, seating and shade.

Whatever style of boat you do decide on, make sure it has plenty of power to get up and go if you ever get caught out on the bar.

Caloundra bar isn't a particularly difficult bar to cross, but boats do go over there regularly. It is shallow and you generally have to go through the break zone. Bar crossings are no place for the inexperienced as things can go wrong very quickly. That said, the Caloundra coast guard are good, and well worth talking to.

Some good fishing to be had on the close Caloundra reefs, so it is worth getting out there if you can.

Jeremy

revs57
25-04-2006, 08:06 AM
G'day Herm,

As Jeremy Said...the centre consoles are "wet" #We had a 4.5 metre centre console before Flamin Riptide...even though the CC has more fishing acces 360 degrees around the boat we will never go back to a centre console. #Enjoy the protection of the cabin too much to get out of wind, rain and spray.

Jason's Alley Craft is a top rig and perhaps something to consider in the mix...he loves it...just ask him ;) ;D ;D ;D

I know Riptide is building a price range 4.8-5.2 that is very competatively priced...and you may be suprised with what you can get new for your dollars.

Rhys

MrWong
25-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Hey Janine
Have a look at a Polycraft 5.2m in the new cuddy cabin variation its a awesome pice of kit and very affordable!
I have a 5.2 Centre console and it is just fantastic
Sorry to add to the confusion :)

ahoj
25-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Welcome Herm,
Just to add to confussion ----why don't you hire several boats and try them first for a day perhaps the 25k generating interest you will spend on a boat will give you almost hastle free boating-- if you go 2-3 times a month in warm times and you have a choice to change boats. Just get a skippers licence and you are free.. don't have to wash and polish the boat repair register insure and fuel it--- most boats you can hire for 100$-150 a day plus fuel---------- belive me this is the way to go.. apart from buying a small tinnie for river and dam fishing.. PS. todlers napping in a boat is a nice dream....
But you already have a decent boat and 40 HP is just nice and it deos the job and fuel is getting dearer.. I talk too much Hmmmmmmm

Confused --Ahoj

Herm
26-04-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all of your replies! :)

OK - I have now gone off the bowrider and am leaning back towards the runabout or cuddy option.

I really like the look of Jason's Ally and will keep an eye out for something similar, and Jason, please let me know if you are going to sell her!

And, needless to day, "love" the Flaming Riptide, but it really does look out of our price range! And Rhys, thank you for the offer of a ride - where abouts are you situated?

Thanks again guys - might head to Mr T's Tinnies to see what our $25K would buy us!

Janine

Glind
26-04-2006, 03:42 PM
Why don't you check out "NOFRILLS" in the for sale section. It is a 17' plate centre console, fully decked out and is in top nick. Complete with 100 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and electronics, I reckon at $25 000 it is s bargin.
Tim

revs57
26-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Hi Janine,

I'm in Logan, so give me a call on 0419-742-078 if you like

Cheers

Rhys

dnej
26-04-2006, 05:07 PM
As Blaze says, Jump on the web site for Fisher Boats, then give Col a call. They are at Bribie Island. Fantastic people to talk with ,to give you the correct advise, and price on a great plate boat.
Couldnt go wrong
David

Herm
26-04-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks again guys!

Just thought that I would mention in relation to a comments made that

PS. todlers napping in a boat is a nice dream....

I actually have had the girls out in the passage in the Savage and they have crawled up into the nose and had a cat nap - maybe I am just really lucky! ;) #but I expect (hope!) that as they get older they will enjoy being out on the water as much as we do :)

Janine

longtail
27-04-2006, 04:20 PM
my 2 kids ( aged 6 & 3 ) go up the cabin and play , draw , colour in and sometimes they lie down and have a nap. ;)

jason

ps- janine , i'm just around the corner from rhys . so when go have a look at the riptide your welcome to pop in and check out the allycraft.