PDA

View Full Version : Boat capacity stickers

BlitzBaga
24-04-2006, 10:12 PM
I don't know if this topic has been raised before and if it has, then here it is again.

I have been told that fines of $150 have been recently dished out to boaties that don't display boat capacity stickers in their boats. I have also been told that if you have a capacity plate in your boat you don't need the stickers, other people say you still need the stickers over and above the compliance plate. Who knows what is really the law here? I got my rego last August and didn't get the stickers with it and other people got stickers.

Regards
Murray

charleville
24-04-2006, 10:31 PM
It has been raised before but the stickers are no hassle to get.

I ordered one online and misplaced it after it arrived in #the mail so just went into a Dept of Transport office where they have them on hand.

They stick on easy enough.

griz066
24-04-2006, 11:10 PM
you can get them at dept trans or any boat shop all FREE

bay_firey
25-04-2006, 09:00 AM
Blitz

I think the key is that the label MUST be CLEARLY visible from the normal driving position.

2iar
25-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi,

The official regs are all here, and how to order them:

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/capacity_labels

Good luck,
Mike

Alan_L
25-04-2006, 09:26 AM
BlitzBaga, just done my boat license and this subject was covered.

Capacity Label must be placed adjacent to the driving position and be clearly visible to the driver. This is in addition to the Builders Plate.

We were also advised to carry the QLD Recreational Boating and Fishing Guide in our boats at all times. These can be picked up from QLD transport dept offices. It has all the rules/regulations in this book.

Spent quite a few hours in the course going over your legal resposibilities while at sea. It's mind boggling what you are responsible for.

In short DONT HAVE A COLLISION.

Cheers
Alan

fishin4fun
25-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Over the easter weekend at tin can bay had the fisho,s pull up and check our builders plate and said everything was ok , i dont have a capacity label as such , the capacity is stamped on the builders label so i,m presuming a builders plate is all that is needed............ cheers Rob

Grunter71
25-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I picked up my sticker from the Dept Transport. I was discussing the merits of the sticker behind the counter and was told that whilst it is compulsary to have the sticker, you cannot be fined for exceeding the capacity.

BlitzBaga
25-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks Guys

The problem I have with picking up stickers from the DOT is the office hours, I guees I need to take some time out from work.

Thanks
Murray

2iar
25-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks Guys

The problem I have with picking up stickers from the DOT is the office hours, I guees I need to take some time out from work.

Thanks
Murray

Use the link I provided above to order them - they get delivered to you free of charge. No need to attend DOT.

Good luck,
Mike

BlitzBaga
25-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks 2iar

I ended up ordering online.

Cheers
Murray

timbacutta
26-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Asked the question weather capacity sticker required if builders plate states required info, of DPI officers at tackle and tinnie show. Was informed that builders plate was all that was required(must have required info as on capacity label). My boat is 8 moths old and has capacity details on builders plate so haven't bothered with sticker for my boat.

Jeff.

longtail
26-04-2006, 07:04 PM
the regs state that the capacity label must be clearly read from the driving position , builders plates are normally fixed to the transom and can't be read from there.

there free to order , so no hassle to put on boat , for the sake of $150 fine i'd rather the sticker.

JMO

cheers
jason

The_Walrus
26-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Same as you Jason, builders plate is behind & under my seat.

Just as easy to have a sticker and save any hassles.

Luc

PADDLES
27-04-2006, 09:05 AM
how do they work out the capacities on the stickers? mine says i can take 8 people on smooth waters (550br signature) but there's no way it should be for that many adults. i would have thought 6 would be the absolute max.

Mr__Bean
27-04-2006, 10:37 AM
G'Day Paddles,

When I look at the chart I have your boat right on the border between 6 and 7 people.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/MSQ.nsf/files/under_6_table_1.gif/$file/under_6_table_1.gif

- Darren

gogecko
27-04-2006, 01:03 PM
I got pulled over for a capacity label check by water police on Sat moring near the seaway. Luckily mine is on the dashboard in clear view.

You can expect to be checked if your in a busy area.

Andrew

PADDLES
27-04-2006, 01:52 PM
thanx mr bean, where did ya get that chart from? i only bought this boat late last year and the sticker was already there. maybe i should order another one. 6 sounds more reasonable than 8 that's for sure.

2iar
27-04-2006, 02:17 PM
thanx mr bean, where did ya get that chart from?

It's all here mate - from the MSQ website:

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/capacity_labels

Good luck,
Mike

Grand_Marlin
27-04-2006, 06:14 PM
From the regulations....

From 1 July 2006, all new recreational boats manufactured in Australia will show an Australian Builder's Plate. Capacity labels are not required if you boat has either a manufacturer's plate or an Australian Builder's Plate, but only if these are clearly visible from each steering position on the boat. You should still consider placing a capacity label on your boat if it provides a more visible reminder of the boat's safe capacity.

Cheers

Pete

The_Walrus
27-04-2006, 07:58 PM
The calculations are based on an average person weight of 75 Kg /person + 15kg gear allowance per person/person.

Luc

BlitzBaga
27-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I recommend ordering them online, I have them already, it only took 2 days.

Cheers
Murray