PDA

View Full Version : drive on self hitch

angler
19-04-2006, 08:12 PM
hi folks i asked a while ago about a drive on self hitch and some kind person put me on to one but i cant find the picture of it again could they give it to me again please.
john

boatboy50
20-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Hey,

It's called the original cath. Does the show circuit every year, generally only sold by the distributor.

Be careful if you are mounting it on a big single axle trailer, as I've seen the flex in one of these trailers unhook the boat, only for it to roll onto the nice abrasive concrete!

Regards

Darren

TonyM
20-04-2006, 05:07 PM
I've been meaning to look at this again myself, makes taking a larger boat out alone far easier, and I don't mind making it easier for any mates who kindly help out as deckie on the day. :)

I guess the point Darren raised is a good one, although I imagine that shouldn't be a problem if you attach the winch and safety chain before you drive the trailer up the ramp? I always assume murphy is out to get me at the boat ramp (have made the usual mistakes like bungs etc) so would never trust a single attachment whilst underway.

angler
20-04-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks the picture of it was on a mono i will have to modify it to suit a cat.

Dignity
21-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I think Bainbridge Marine used to be the agents for the Original Catch. They weren't cheap about $160 - $180. Don't know if they are still around. They were also the agents for a plastic stick on Keel strip but I haven't seen any one advertising them any more either.

Sam

ribbit
22-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Here is smarthook. Cranbourne boating centre in Vic control patent I believe. 0359 962206
I have on 5.25 stacer on mackay driveon and it it brilliant, works always and blows away people at ramp when they see them work. Around 300-350 but great product

Swerve
22-04-2006, 11:46 PM
This looks bloody brillant. Normaly my Mrs hooks up the winch after I drive 3/4 up. Today she stuffed up and spent 2 minutes hooking up the winch to towin eye, before we could winch. Felt like ages.

I could just power the whole thing ! sweet ;D

Steve

wethooters
23-04-2006, 12:34 AM
This is what I use. #Simple and easy to fit on any trailer. #Materials less than $30.00

http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=226&PicId=40361

TonyM
23-04-2006, 12:49 PM
That's absolutely brilliant wethooters. I love how simple it is - not much that can go wrong (maybe a new spring/occy strap every now and again) :)

I might have to see if I can get one made up for my Poly - as I can't just weld on the "hook" it might take a bit of thunking :-?

angler
25-04-2006, 07:51 PM
thanks all i found the one i was after on page 23

frankj
25-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Another.

D shackle provides weight to disconnect on launch, i.e. power on, loop drops and the boat is free.
No shackle used for retrieve, rope springs up to level and rides down on hook until it springs up and boat is secure.
Appears fairly simple, but I haven't used one.

Frank

wethooters
25-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Frank, I looked at the wire rope job but there are a couple of down sides:
Firstly there is little marging for error. My latch is 250mm wide so the boat can be off-centre a fair bit and still latch on.
Also if using it to launch and you hit the brakes for some reason the boat could nudge forward and un-hook itself. I'd ather not have my pride and joy sitting 'high and dry' on the ramp.
I've made mine to stay spring loaded in the latched position until you pull a rope from the helm position unlocking it (after powering forward). Let me know if you want more photos or details.

Cheers

angler
26-04-2006, 12:23 PM
that would be nice wethooters.
john

frankj
26-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Wethooters, what a name, conjures up all sorts of visions.

Your idea looks very good and simple as well, more photos would be great.

Thanks
Frank

wethooters
26-04-2006, 10:17 PM
For those looking for more photos, follow these links;

http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=226&PicId=40363
http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=226&PicId=40360
http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=226&PicId=40362
http://www.fishnet.com.au/default.aspx?id=226&PicId=40361

Main latch is made from 1/2" 316 stainless round bar. The lever is 3/8 316 round bar. It pivots on a 3/8 bolt through a section of 1/2" SS pipe which has been tig welded to the round bar. Spring is the good old occy strap. If you want to use it for fast launching (with two people) then tie a piece of light string to the lever and run it back to the helm position.

ShaneJ
27-04-2006, 07:43 AM
You dont worry about the stainess causing problems with your alloy boat?

wethooters
27-04-2006, 10:51 PM
You dont worry about the stainess causing problems with your alloy boat?

Nope, I don't leave the stainless latch against the hull (in fact the winch rope pulls the latch down out of the way when the boat is winched up the last few inches). If it stayed on the hull I would put a piece of plastic over it to stop it rubbing.

Cheers

frankj
27-04-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't think it would cause much problem. The winch hook on all ally boats would be in contact for most of the boats life and as far as I know, it doesn't cause any corrosion.

Frank