PDA

View Full Version : MERCURY 115 DISMANTLE PROBLEMS PART 2

danytink
27-04-2006, 01:55 PM
...Ok, thanks for the advice on heating those bolts - worked a charm.

Here is a view of the lower mount with plate covers off exposing the rubber sleeve and bolt with clamp still in tact. #The problem I'm having is that it is all loose but still wont come off??? #The main bolts are free, the rubber sleeve is loose and the clamp is loose on the main bolts???

Is there a snap ring under the clamp or something that I am missing? Does the clamp split in half? #Also does that small drive shaft (not sure what it is for?) come off somehow - do I need to take it off?

Thanks for any suggestions.

danytink
27-04-2006, 02:08 PM
...another shot up underneath clamp - you can see the bearing dropped and spins around small drive shaft.

The arrow and dotted line indicate my thoughts on where the clamp should split in half if it does??? It would all make bloody sense if it did.

Thanks

blaze
27-04-2006, 03:13 PM
I will hunt my manual up and have a look
cheers
blaze

blaze
27-04-2006, 03:37 PM
there is a retaining ring that comes up underneath that yoke, it looks like one that needs to be priced out with a screwdriver and not a circlip with the eyes to put pliers into. Looking at the state of your unit i would think it will require replacement.
cheers
blaze

Spaniard_King
27-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Dany,

Mate you have a big job to get that off. Most O/B mechanics would be turning that away.

to service that area I am pretty certain you will need to remove the power head so that the steering tube can be removed (the tube that runs from top to bottom ) The shiny rod in the center of the tube is the shift rod.

Although I am not sure on mercs but either gearbox or powerhead removal is required to remove the shift rod.

Can you take it to a local dealer and ask there advice on dissasembly :-/

Garry

danytink
27-04-2006, 06:11 PM
....I've had a look under the covers and there is no way that little gear changer shaft will slide out from the top because it butts up against the engine housing with no movement upwards at all. It looks like the bottom leg will have to come off. Once that little shaft is out then the whole motor will swivel up because the top mount swivels in an up and down motion - I stand to be corrected though but I reckon I've got that part sussed.

My question now is, will the gear change shaft slide out from underneath when the bottom leg is off??? Also any tips before I pull it off will be appreciated...

Thanks fella's.

MulletMan
28-04-2006, 02:20 AM
Spaniard_King is right I think ........................
I had a 115 hp Merc Blueband and had to drop the lower leg everytime to get the shift rod out.
You have to be real careful here as it can be a real bugger trying to realign the drive shaft and the shift rod once they leave their correct positions.

catchy_fishy
28-04-2006, 05:52 AM
And I thought I had problems - good luck danytink - will be thinking of your dillemma - sorry I have no useful thoughts.

The guys answering here know there stuff though - take the advice well.

Catchy Fishy

Spaniard_King
28-04-2006, 06:47 AM
Dany,

Are you sure thats not a nut that has fallen off the bottom :-/ That yoke (clamp)assembly you have drawn a dotted line through is normaly held on by a nut on the bottom and they nromally have a spline to drive the yoke/clamp

I will attach a word doc showing the breakdown

Garry

blaze
28-04-2006, 07:29 AM
thats the same pic I am looking at and shows a 39mm circlip
cheers
blaze

danytink
28-04-2006, 10:25 AM
....yeah Gary, good picture but I think Blaze is right, thats not a nut but a bearing ......there is only a circlip on the bottom....we are looking at the right spot eh???

I just purchased a Merc manual on ebay last night which is a workshop one for about $45. #Where did you get those pictures Gary??? #Nevermind, the manual should tell me how to pull it off as well.

When you guys say the bottom leg, do you mean the very bottom or the whole leg??? #I now know why they say marine mechanics are on a good wicket.

Cheers,

Dan