PDA

View Full Version : Nova 4.7m Half Cabin. Anyone know history?

fender202
27-04-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi, have had my boat, Nova 4.7m 1/2 cab for about a year. I beleive its a late 70's early 80's. I have heard from a few people that they were out of the same factory that built Bertram, Haines boats but you hear those stories all the time. Too be honest I haven't been overly happy with the ride of the boat. It looks like it would be a great sea boat, very beamy and high on the sides but it does seem to slug along in the bum in some swell, rides light in the nose unless the nose is trimmed right down. Having said that I have had the same problems with most boats of the same size, I think having an extra foot or too really makes a difference (Ask my wife!)
Anyway, was just interested if any body new of the history of these hulls. I have a 70 Johnno on it by the way.

griz066
28-04-2006, 06:59 AM
70 hp probably underpowered for a 4.7m thats y her bum drags.
Nice rig but

longtail
28-04-2006, 07:36 AM
yeah i agree griz , probably needs a 90 or 115

jason

fender202
28-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Nah, I don't think it's underpowered, like it's not dragging when I take off. It gets up and going on the plane fine, it's just always seems light in the nose and heavy in the bum to me. It will cruise along at 35 mph at 4500 revs and while thats not blistering it does me and certainly doesn't seem to struggle at all. It's a 96 Johnno by the way.

I find it most annoying when say going through a 6knot zone, you nearly have to crane to see over the dash! It has a fairly short nose too and the seating is more towards the front than the back. I have 2 batteries and about 50l of fuel in the back and not much at all in the front.

I am really strating to thin it is just the characteristics of a half cabin boat under 16'

Darryl
28-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I know this sounds like an insult but have you got it trimmed all the way in whilst trying to do 6 knots? I have a v187 Caribbean half cab that used to have a 80 hp merc on it, was slow and sluggish.Also did a litre a kilometer, now i have repowered with a 175 the poor old boat doesn't know what hit it, more boat out of the water and i still use the same amount of fuel as the 175 doesn't need to work as hard as the poor old 80 did.

Does the outboard have a hydrofoil on it? Will help you at slower speeds and help lift the bum and sink the nose.

Darryl

Dignity
28-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Fender, having owned a 4.7m of the same vintage but of cruise craft brand I can tell you what you are describing is about normal and 70hp is probably about right for a boat this size. Expectations have grown and the boating indusrty has risen to the challenge and things have changed. I had an 85 suzi on mine and it really made it sit down due to the extra weight on low plane with even weight up front it sat nose up until well onto the plane,. About 65hp was recommended as the right size, I think that the 70hp would be fairly optimum especially if you are using it in smooth waters or even close offshore. There are plenty of people that like to have more but let's face it there are limits to what a 4.7m boat can do. I also carried 50 L of fuel in the rear and it made no difference if I then loaded the front cabin up with camping gear etc, it still operated the same. I put one of those stingray fins/tabs/whatumacallits on the motor and had a major change in boat stance and almost 30% improvement in fuel economy. I used to take detailed measurements of fuel useage in those days and can substabtiate the claim. These days the hulls are a different design and weight and the savings woulldn't be as great but I think you would find a significant change.

Does a foot or two make a difference. Sh!t yeah. Used to go out in my boat (4.6m Rustler) and rocked and rolled in open waters. Calm waters vessels would go past while at anchorage - rock and roll. Brother in Law bought a 5.25M boat of similar vintage and still rock and roll but much better. I bought a 5.9m boat and the difference is so much better it is difficult to comprerend. There is still rock and roll offshore but the ole bones don't ache at all after the trip like they used to. My wife who swore she would never go offshore actually wants to go now. Last trip I took her out last year she saw more whales and they performed for her better than the previous week for a paid trip in Hervey Bay. Even down amongst the southern bay when we used to travel she would hang on for dear life and hated the trip from Rudy Maars to Sth Straddie. Now she just sits back and thoroughly enjoys it. Really takes a lot of hassle out of family boating. A bigger boat does bring other stresses but then again, that's boating.

Sam

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
28-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Definitely underpowered in my opinion, and maybe a little more weight needs to be shifted to for'ard.

Cheers
Dave