PDA

View Full Version : Bolt on pods

Thebuffalo
25-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Anyone know of a place in Australia where I can purchase a bolt on pod to suit a 200HP motor. Not really fussed whether it is aly or glass.

Here is a link to the sort of thing I am after

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/Repower.htm

I have looked and have come up with nothing, in Aus anyway.

QLD would be preferable but I am not fussy.

Cheers

FNQCairns
26-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi Buffalo, I dont really think there is a company making of the shelf pods in Australia (none that I have found).
Consider measuring up and contracting a local to build one out of Alum, when it gets further into the dry season here I will be fabricating one myself and contracting the welding out, didn't you have an extension pod of steel already fitted?

cheers fnq

Sportfish_5
26-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Armstrong Pods seem to be the ones fitted to most US boats.

Cheers

Greg

Noelm
26-04-2006, 02:34 PM
there is a place that advertises in the "tradeaboat" that has fibre glass pods for that horse power

Thebuffalo
26-04-2006, 05:09 PM
FNQ, there is some confusion, there is now another buffalo of sorts - yet to be named. I have bought a bertram 20' that I am intending to put this pod on. I have considered this and will probably go down this line. I would however be interested in looking at what is ready made. Might save a bit of $$$ who knows.

Sportfish Cheers, another avenue of investigation.

Noelm, now we are getting somewhere, I ahve a mate here that has stated the same thing. Time to start looking.

Cheers guys.

Thebuffalo

blaze
26-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Buffalo
Drawing a bit of a blank here ATM, the boys out the shop will make a couple of calls for me tommorow
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
26-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Good stuff. I am surprised that this wasn't answered straight up to tell you the truth. I think the tradeaboat is the go but I don't have any old issues of it.

Keep up the good work.

Did you know that Groote Eylandt has some of the best fishing in the country? No mutton birds though...Better not start that topic up again hey! ;D ;D

SO70
26-04-2006, 10:12 PM
there is a bloke in Townsville that makes aluminium pods.
he has built hundreds of them.
builds and fits them and will guarantee they work.
they are actual pods and not hull extensions.
price varies whether you want swim platforms either side of pod, ladder paint, powder coating etc

megafish71
27-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Buffalo, try giving the guys at Quay Marine in Cairns a call (07 40413166). They should be able to give you some info about fitting a bolt on pod to a bertie. They recently did one for themselves. The pod they fitted was a beauty and was more of a hull extension than just a motor pod. I know they ordered the pod from somewhere down south but unsure of where, but I do know it fitted up perfectly. Anyway they should be able to point you in the right direction.
Hope this is some help to you.

Cheers Ron

Noelm
27-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Splits Fibreglass, Alexandra ave Taren Point, Sydney 0295405864, $1200-00 suit 200HP in stock and will ship via courier

blaze
27-04-2006, 10:55 AM
the guys I have been talking to I still to check with there suppler in Hobart but are sugesting around $800 (not 100% on that though), they reckon frieght would kill it
some good info coming up closer to you though.
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
27-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Yep, all worth a phone call. The Townsville guy's sound interesting. Freight via Kaloundra? near Cairns should be OK. We have a barge from that way.

Thanks for the info guys.

SO70
27-04-2006, 09:05 PM
ring NQ Outboard Wreckers 47 74 8330
he will put you in the right direction.

mally
29-04-2006, 07:19 AM
mate horizon shores marine at jacobs well makes them,there is a mechanic at horizon shores he makes and fits them,my mate got one put on his haines not sure on the price. good luck 8-)

Thebuffalo
30-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Cheers.

To date I have priced getting one made here $2500 (Aly), One in Darwin will cost about $2000 in (glass) plus freight.

If I could get a decent set of plans I think I could probably make the thing myself. My only concern is that I will over construct it and it will weigh a tonne.

What I save in $$$$ will got towards my Plotter and elec winch for the anchor.

I am still looking.

Picked the boat up yesterday and will start ripping the leg off. I will take some pictures and post them as soon as I can.

Cheers

Thebuffalo.