PDA

View Full Version : 435 edgetracker or hornet ?????

NIZ
18-01-2005, 10:30 AM
I posted this in another thread and didn't get any replies so I thought I'd start a new one.

I have been tossing it up between the 435 hornet trophy aswell as the edgetracker tournament and am still unsure which would suit me best.

I will be fishing the estuaries 9 times out of 10 but would still like to venture out in moreton bay on a calm day. As I'm reletively new to boats would any of you guys be able to help me choose which one would suit best?

Also what are the benfits of having a side console? I originally was going for a tiller 60hp on the stessl and 50hp on the hornet but am thinking of reconsidering to a side console. Do people find that the console gets in the way? or do the benefits out way the cons?

thx for your help guys as I'm new to all this boat stuff so bear with me.

Jethro
18-01-2005, 10:47 AM
G'day Niz

I can't comment on either of these boats as I have not had a great deal to do with them. I looked briefly at a 435 Hornet but managed to talk the missus into a few extra $$$ and I ended up with an Elegant Boat. All's I can suggest is have a ride in both if possible and make your decision from there.

As for the side console question. If you are looking at doing any sort of long hauls in the boat the side console is worth its weight in gold. You do loose a bit of fishing space but you will appreciate it when you are doing an hour run to one of your fishing spots.

Hope this helps

beatle
18-01-2005, 02:46 PM
I have a Blue Fin 4.50 side console and find it to be an excellent boat for estuary/river fishing and would be o.k. on close inshore work on a dead flat day. You must remember a side consol would involve the purchase of a much more expensive motor setup than tiller control as the s/c is a remote control involving cables power/tilt/trim etc. but if money is no prblem try the s/c.-Beatle

RobSee
18-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Niz - Will you do any estuary trolling? I have seen comments from David Green re the benefits of a tiller over a side console that indicate that a tiller steer gives you more control after hook up as you really only need one hand to steer the boat and control the speed/rev/forward/etc.

I used this as my choice to go the tiller edgetracker. Is there much price diff between the same rig - hornet or edgetracker?

Woody
18-01-2005, 05:29 PM
G'day Niz,
I own a 435 Hornet Trophy side console. I was convinced by a couple of mates who have tiller steer boats of similar size that it would be much better for long trips . These guys go to Booraloola {or somewhere that sounds like that} in NQ They travell about an hour one way to their fav spot every day. I've had mine about 8 months now and the console's no drama when fishing.
Wade

Sniper
19-01-2005, 05:00 AM
Hi Niz.
I've got a 435 Hornet Trophy tiller steer and now wish I had of got a side console model. I live in Caloundra and shoot down the Pumistone Passage to the canals down Bribie from time to time and after hanging on to the tiller for over half an hour or so you soon know about it. When I was looking at buying my boat I was also looking at the Edge Tracker until a friend of my brother in-laws, who has had 3 edge trackers, bought the same model Hornet and swore black and blue in the face he'd never buy another edge tracker. Mind you most of the fishing he does is in and around Gladstone Harbour and up to the north so it gets pretty rough on an out going tide with a noreaster blowin. ell, thats my two cent worth. Just take both boats for a run in roughish conditions if possible then decide. Happy boating
Bill
[smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

NIZ
19-01-2005, 11:27 AM
thx for the replies guys. Looks like I'm going to have to go for a run in both and then decide.

Hopefully the dollars can stretch when the time comes as it looks as though I will be going with the console.

jack_attacks
29-04-2006, 08:38 AM
Niz
Any update? Did you end up purchasing one?
JA

saurian
29-04-2006, 04:21 PM
Niz, i have got a 4m clark magnum with 40 suzuki tiller, bit like old
edgetrackers.It is real stable , play footy on the deck , but anything over .65m seas and it belts the crap out of you.
Hornet sounds like better idea.
Tiller steer , well i livebait or troll only .
When trolling the tiller steer really wins hands down, but the torque of
a 40 let alone the 60 hp you talk about , lets your left arm and wrist
know about it. Still if you troll maybe do some crabbing etc..the tiller is
probably more suitable than console.
Women do not like tillers. Hope that may help....

jack_attacks
30-04-2006, 06:08 PM
Saurian - agree about the women not liking the tiller steer. Despite my wife's best efforts, she just can't quite get the hand of it. A tiller works for me and keeps my deck clear for fishing.
Cheers
JA