PDA

View Full Version : Bertram Problems

gilbo
21-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Hi all, been reading the various forums for awhile and probably would have posted earlier if it wasn't for the following tale of woe. I have owned tinnies for quite some time the most recent being a 17.5' stacer which was a great boat but my partner and daughter used to complain about how rough it got out in the bay in it so finally decided to buy something bigger and heavier that not only would handle some chop in the bay, but would be comfortable on overnight trips and able to go outside fishing on. After looking around for sometime we decided last november on a 25' bertram flybridge which looked like a nicely kept boat and the guy (well I think he was human) that sold it was very helpful and explained in detail all the work he had recently done on the boat. I did what I though was the right thing and got a marine survey on the boat and this all came back with a clean bill of health and was told buy the surveyor that in his opinion what the seller said he had done to the boat looked to have been done. So I felt pretty confident in buying it and did so.

This is when the fun started. First trip out, when at full operating temp, one engine wouldn't idle, another leg wouldn't engage or disengage without a lot of force, on the second trip out, after replacing coils, condensors, points etc the idling seemed a lot better but the gear was still hard to the point a cable snapped. Also had lots of trouble with it holding the trim. When in reverse it would want to pull the engine out of the water. Fixed the trim pump, replaced the broken cable, made some adjustments recommended by the seller ("because it all should be fine - I have had all this work done") and on the next trip it actually seemed to run ok, gears were still a little hard, but maybe I was just getting used to the handling of it. The trim still wouldn't hold and this is when I noticed the port engine was losing water and oil. The oil all seemed to be coming out the tappet cover.

Decided to bite the bullet and get a mechanic in to look at it for me with respect to the trim and ask about the oil. Due to not being able to easily tow the boat I used a small independant "mobile" mechanic and met him at the boat. At this stage was told the oil leak appear to be from the tappet cover and he would replace this. When asking about the trim, he started to look at the legs and then tell me how bad each one was (this after being assured that they were recently serviced and the port completely overhgauled 6 months ago). Ok - he knows more than me, told him some of the problems I had been having and was told they seemed pretty consistant with legs badly needing work. Ok so how much. 4500 ish I was quoted to rebuild the legs and replace a tappet cover gasket and a few other incidentals like radiator caps etc. Told him I was happy to go ahead, well happy not really the right word, but I would go ahead, but could he have a look over the mechanic of the boat and tell me what else I might need to do, as I didn't want to go and organise this money only to be told after the job was done that I needed to also do this and do that and he assured me at this stage that in his opinion only the legs were bad and it would seem like a new boat when he had finished with it. I asked him about the shifting when hot and he said all to do with the legs and you would be "able to change it with a feather" when he was finished with it. I told him while it was hard downstairs, it was impossible upstairs and again - no worries mate - be like a new boat by the time I am finished with it.

So I gave him the go ahead to fix these, at this point in time I would like to remind you (if you are still reading) that originally I called him out to look at the trim problems. Also at this stage he told me that the hydrafoils I had fitted were bad for the boat and I should remove them or risk cracking the gearbox housing. He even pointed out a crack he said was from it after running his screw driver down the casing. When asked wasn't that just a scratch from the screw driver he ummed and arrghs and said oh yes but they were bad for the boat and should be removed anyway. hey he know more than me and after being assured I wouldn't notice the difference I told him to remove them. Alarm bells should have started ringing now.

So after a week or so the work was complete and I asked for the payment, not a problem, I already had the bank cheque, but I did ask if we could take it for a run first. Oh before I forget when he rang me to tall me the job was finished he says "I have fixed your legs but you have some serious trouble with that port engine, you are probably going to need to rebuild it". Well I was dumbfounded after originally asking him first to tell me if there were any other major problems. It was at this stage I started to seriously doubt him as a mechanic. So anyway I asked him if we could take it for a run first and I could test out the work he had done and he could explain to me about all the other work I now needed to be done. Well - you would have thought I killed his only child the way he carried on and complained about how this was not the way he worked and not the done thing. Mate all I was asking qwas for 20 minutes of your time to take it for a run, on a 4500 job I didn't think I was asking alot.

I met him down the marina where he finishes some last minute adjustments to the cables and cut out switches and we put the boat in the water, I put it in reverse and the trim doesn't hold. Asked him why the trim wasn't fixed and was told "you didn't ask me to do that - you only hired me to fix the legs". No I got you out here to look at the trim, and was told the legs needed fixing, would have thought that maybe as well as fixing what you thought needed, you might have fixed what I asked as well. Problem 1 - the trim still doesn't work. Took it out of the marina and went upstairs and tried the gears. Still no good. "how come the gears upstairs dont work still" response "you didn't ask me to fix that - you only got me to fix the legs". Sorry but isn't the ability to change gears related to the legs and I specifically asked him to fix these. But anyway. Still an oil leak, and reponse "I replace the tappet cover gasket but your main problem is all this blowback - you really need to overhaul that engine", well fine but why change the tappet cover gasket when this other work needs doing- "because you asked me to". Blood pressure through the roof now. Basically by this point I just wanted to get him off my boat and out of my sight. So we go back to the marina, now engines and legs at operating temps, and the gears were still hard to change, they were a lot better but nowhere near "change with a feather". Fine you live and learn - I should have gotten a written quote, I should have done this, I should have asked for that. Probably I just shouldn't trust people as much and am learning that particularly in the marine world to "trust no-one". Anyway after being told by him that the compression is ok in the engine and he doesn't really know what the problem is but it need serious work, and I could feel free to talk him to court as he can "handle himself" and I was a difficult customer etc etc etc I decided to live with the job with the thought I have 2 (supposedly) rebuilt legs and should have a little less trouble boating now. I'll see how the engine goes with losing oil over the next trip or 2 and worry about the trim later as I have spent enough and I can still use the boat with out it, just not as well.

Anyway, very obvious first trip out without the hydrafoils the boat just didn't get up on the plance as quickly and seemed to chew a little more juice. The engine still lost oil and water, still couldn't use the trim, nor could I change gears upstairs. Really didn't want to talk to the mechanic again, but seeing as the hydrafoils were the only parts he didn't leave with my boat, I rang him and asked him to drop them back. I now wonder whether they weren't left with the boat because of the bertram 25 that he had just sold to a mate of his might not have had them on it. Still after the job he did on me, he could have bought a set.

After the next trip out and some bad sounds now also coming from the starboard engine, I decided enough was enough and I was going to get one of the bigger boat shops around to look at the boat and go over it for me. After initially asking worse case scenario what could I be looking for and being told between 3 and 6K per engine, I though ok, I dont need to eat, lets get them looked at. Well that was 5 weeks ago and I finally got the quote earlier this week. Both engines requiring a total rebuild at a cost of 14700. I really didn't know what to say, I was close to tears, this is now 20K more in total spent on the boat. I still dont know what to do.

Sorry to bore you all with such a long story, but I just have a few question to anyone in the know out there, and a few suggestions to any contemplating getting work done on a boat, or buying an older larger boat.

Boat set up
Bertram 25' sportsfisherman flybridge
year 1984
engines mecruiser 470 (170hp) x 2 approx 1300 hours on each
apha legs

Questions:

the hydrafoils - anyone had any problems with using them
trim - any ideas anyone - oh thats right was told by the first "mobile" mechanic that the trim was gone because one of the high pressure hoses was cracked, 100 dollars to replace, got that done, no difference.
legs - would you overhaul a leg and not change the gimble bearing if everything else was in such an apparently bad state.
engines - does this seem a reasonable price to completely rebuild.
engines - are they worth rebuilding
engines - was getting 20knots at 3200 rpm, what could I expect with the engines rebuilt.
Boat in general - is it worth spending the money on a boat of this type.

Recommendations:
Dont rely on a marine survey alone when buying an older boat.

gilbo
21-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Recommendations:
Dont rely on a marine survey alone when buying an older boat.
Dont use a local "mobile" mechanic. Now I know you shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush, but guys like this certainly leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Dont let the seller of the boat dictate how long the test drive is (in order to hide problems)
Dont use a local "mobile" mechanic.
Get a complete mechanic inspection - not just a marine survey (i assumed it was the same - how wrong could you be)
Dont believe anything the seller says to you.
and finally

Sorry to any other independant mechanics out there, as I am sure no one could be as bad as this guy, but just get things in writing from your mechanis before any work is done and I am sure you will save yourself a lot of the problems I have. And if there are any reputable guys out there I would love to hear from you - as I am sure I will.

ps: Anyone fancy outside fishing on a bertram 25, with 2 rebuilt engines and 2 rebuilt legs. You supply the spots and some instruction and help to the worst fisherman in the world, I'll supply the boat - that is if I ever see it again.

blaze
21-04-2006, 02:50 PM
F*ck
thats all I could think of.
But Being a mechanic by trade I would like to hear the other side of the story too
Hope you get the problems sorted out one way or another and finally get the bertie on the water.
cheers
blaze

gilbo
21-04-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes I am sure there are some good guys out there, just thought I would share my experiences with some of the Shysters out there. Well 1 in particular.

Just looking forward to maybe getting a good reliable working boat back and finally getting the fishing done I dreamed about when buying it.

Argle
21-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Gilbo I feel your pain mate. Unfortunately some people are less "reputable" than others. Its probably closing the gate after the horse has bolted but whenever you have ANY work done be it boat car bike you should have all the work specified in writing on the job sheet and signed by both you and the mechanic/supervisor etc so that both parties are clear on what work is required. As for the early price estimates, mate unfortunately they are just that - estimates, most times a price can only be reached after teardown and inspection of all components.
I would be looking around at prices for new replacement engines and compare this to your overhaul price.
Also be aware the difference between "rebuilt" and "reconditioned" again get everything in writing before you part with your hard earned $$$.
At the end of the day i hope you get things in order and get to enjoy what sounds like a lovely boat, the 25 Berties were a classic.

Cheers and beers
Scott

steveg1100
21-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I really feel for you mate.

I have a friend who said to me one day while we were towing his boat down to the water. (which had been out of the water for two years because of engine problems)

Do you know what boat stands for??

Bring Out Another Thousand

SO70
22-04-2006, 12:41 AM
gilbo, if you asked around before you bought the Bertram i would have said make sure you have a few bucks behind you for ongoing repairs.
i 'm a motor mechanic and fix a mates Bertram 25 for free.
so long as he does everything i say and doesn't skimp on things, i dont mind doing the work for him.
he has had it since new and the service bills would be over $1000 every time it went to the dealer.
its hard to find a good mechanic so id suggest to have a go at fixing it yourself maybe.

23-sharkcat
23-04-2006, 09:11 AM
I have a 23' sharkcat with twin 470's and pre-alpha legs.

I had a mechanic that I took my boat to to replace all the uni's, rubbers, waterpump and get the thing changing into gear right. Well it changed into gear after I worked on it.

When I picked up the boat he said that the water intake pipe that goes through the transom had a leak. This meant that I had to remove the leg to accsess this. Well what do you know none of the uni's and only half of the rubbers where replaced and he kept all the parts I supplied him. To add insult to the wound he blamed the guy that worked there for not doing the work. softcock comes to mind.

I have learnt a leason from this and dont trust anyone and do as much youreself as you can.

As for the hrdrofiols that sounds like a load of crap. Can crack the leg only if run over reef and it aint the hydrofiols fault.

the 470 are great engines. Some people dont like them and there is nothing you can do about this. I dont like outboards.

gilbo
23-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the replies - Sharkcat, you wouldn't be on the north side of Brisbaut am not ne would you, sounds like very similar stories that were told to me, could be the same "softcock".

I would love to do the work myself but am not really that mechanically minded, nor do I really have the time to do it. This is really not the point, I dont mind paying if (a) the job is really required (b) the price is reasonable and (c) the work is done correctly. All I really want to do is pay a fair days pay for a fair days work. Oh utopia, yes I know. These guys charge anywhere from 60-90 per hour for their trade, which in anyones language is not a bad wage. Why then do they constantly feel the need to cut corners and rip the customer of.

All in all I have a decision to make now with respect to rebuilding these 470s. Is it worth spending 15000 on getting them totally rebuilt. How much life can I then reasonably expect out of engines that are already 22 years old. What sort of perfromance improvements, feul effeciency might I also get.

Thanks again for your replies.

Gilbo

ps: all this good fishing weather is going to waste.

ScottB
23-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Gilbo,
Sorry to hear of the your circumstances bot hope it all works out for you. I've recently gone through the process of purchasing a Bertie 25 and was very lucky to have got a thorough mechanical inspection done, as well as the hull survey. I was advised to get a mechanic to look at it even though the surveyor claimed to do mechanical inspections as well.It was very good advice, as the mechanics found about $4000 of repairs that needed doing then or in the near future and we renegotiated on that basis. In terms of mechanics you are best to go to one of the dealers actually situated in a marina as they willl do a fair amount of work on large boats that have legs and will know what goes wrong with them. They will also be a lot quicker (and therefore charge less for labour) when doing work for you as they are used to working on boats with legs.

In the situation that you are in, I can see that you have 3 options

1 Sell the boat as is, But this will incur a big loss for you

2 Repower the boat, This would certainly get you fishing, but would see you spending a lot of money that you would never get back.

3 Get it fixed and go fishing.

I think that option 3 is your best bet as they are a great boat when you get out on the ocean and I'm sure you will love it, I'm not sure what kind of $ you should be looking at to get them rebuilt, But I know that the legs usually cost around 2500-3000 to rebuild. The trim rams (where your trim problems may be occuring-they are often the cause) Can also be rebuilt quiet cheaply. For engine rebuilds, you will have to get a list of what actually needs doing, and then go around getting quotes, You may find that prices will vary greatly. You may even be able to pick up a couple of reconditioned engines for a reasonable price. Try http://www.sealinkmarine.com.au/ These people are always advertising engines and parts in the back of Trade A Boat. Also go to a Mercury/Mercruiser dealer and enquire about Mercury Precision rebuilds, In this process your engines are actually taken out of that boat and sent back to the mercruiser factory and rebuilt by the Mercury techs at the factory then sent back, Your dealer should have a pricelist on this, but from memory it was pretty reasonable (can't remember exact price).

I do partly know what you are going through as it hasn't all been plain sailing for us. Only a few weeks after we got the boat we had an intermittent overheat in the port engine, it took us a few months to get it sorted out but was a great boat once we did. Also where are you situated as I may be able to reccommend a mechanic that I found to be pretty good.

Hope this has been some help, feel free to ask any more questions

Scott

gilbo
24-04-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi ScottB,

Thanks for you comments and advice. As you say I think my best options is going to be to get them rebuilt. It is currently with a dealer in my area (which is noth side of brisbane) and this is where the quote has come from. Am going down there this afternoon to talk to them about it so will see what happens.

Thanks again

Shane

flatstrap
24-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Gilbo,
You have just experienced how the world really works, but in the most cruel and painful way. The good news is that you are suffering in a financial way only. It could have been worse, say a total breakdown w-a-y offshore with the kids aboard before a brewing storm.
The moral of your story is that before making a big decision, research your subject thoroughly. Word of mouth is the best way to find a competent mechanic. Get more than one and compare your information. Record all deals on paper. This can be done discretely and politely so there is no hint of mistrust but rather be business like in all dealings.
Ever see a distinguished looking gent in a prestige car broken down on the freeway? The panic in the eyes are like flashing beacons. While a more experienced, regular knock about guy that's played with engines since the age of 12 would just walk to the nearest emergency phone and arrange for a tow or ring a mate. Put the hazards on, and wait on the other side of the fence.
While this may cost you more money, the worst thing you can do is NOT learn from the experience. I know this from personal experience.
Best of luck and practice good management,
Flatstrap

Smithy
27-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the world of 25 Bertram ownership. I think there used to even be a forum for them in the early days of fishing chatboards. If not there should be. Pity we don't have more 31's over here with twin diesel shafts. Now that is a boat.

gilbo
28-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Oh well - thanks again to all those that replied. I had decided to go ahead with the rebuilds of the engines, dont see I really had much choice, so I am told in 4-5 weeks I might havea boat again and will be looking forward to doing some fishing.

2iar
28-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Good luck with it Gilbo. I've been watching this thread, but didn't have any worthwhile advice except to say that peace of mind is extremely important to the enjoyment of the boat. I reckon you're doing the right thing, even though you haven't had the right thing done by your mechanic.

Hopefully, you'll now get that and be able to have the fun you deserve to get on her.

Good luck,
Mike

Dignity
28-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Gilbo, unfortunately there are 2 types in this world them and us. I'd like to think that I wouldn't sell somebody else a pup but then again I 've been had a few times too. It is a shame that you wont be able to enjoy what was to be your pride and joy for a while yet but bear with it eventually you will.

best of Irish luck

Sam

Angla
30-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Gilbo,
Good luck with the direction you are going. It really is the few bad eggs out there that make it seem that everyone is like that.

It may help to visit the boat during the repairs, just to keep up to date with any other problems not covered by the proposed works quote.

I am sure you will love the boat in time and after some memorable trips it will all seem like a bad dream. The kids will think its great in the end.

Angla