PDA

View Full Version : Evinrude E TECH

Awoonga
21-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Guys Need help with this one Looking at a new boat....thats decided... but what to power it ??? The factory said go with the new E TECH but when l want down to the boat dealer that you put your order through... he said dont touch them too new... lots of problems with them sensors playing up If you are stuck on the water no one will be able to fix it over to you.......

blaze
21-04-2006, 12:54 PM
All modern motors, be it in your car/truck/tractor are monitored and controlled in some way by a computer. To diagnose any faults in these motors require some form of test gear to be hooked up. You just wont do that on the water with any modern motor. Most if not all of the modern motors have a limp home mode that will protect the motor from damage.
My guess is that your boat dealer makes a bigger profit margin from another brand of outboard and would like you to buy that one.
Continue your research and when you find the outboard that is most suited to your application, if its the etech, buy it.
cheers
blaze

peter
21-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Too new???? They have been around for over 3 years now. When arn't they going to be a new motor on the market?
Whats the dealer deal in?

Go with your gut feeling because all motors these days are good. I know one thing, the more you think about it the harder the choice will be.

Good luck

Peter

Coontakinta
21-04-2006, 04:58 PM
Rekon with all the hoopla about the etec being no good they should be out @ a REAL good price to help move them. If the price on my 90 TLDi wasnt as good as it was it probably woulda been an E-tec on the back.

Awoonga, do a seach here on this forum about the e-tec. The pink Panther had a link on one of the threads that is VERY interesting reading and unbiasd as well (VERY IMPORTANT) read it, understand it, & then make you decision.

I think alot of the knockers, (and I was one of them!) dont understand the technology or are making better margins on other
brands / technology.

seatime
21-04-2006, 04:59 PM
I'd like to know more about them too, the 115hp V4 in particular.

Tossing up between the E-TEC and Suzuki/Johnson 115hp 4st. I'd like one on a Polycraft 5.30 Cuddy. The boat's 2.4m beam and heavy like glass. I was thinking an E-TEC or 2st might push it better with 6 people onboard. But I've never had a run of one, where as I've used the Suzi and reckon it would do the job.

The 115hp V4 is relatively new, but if anyone has one, comments are appreciated.
cheers Steve.

Geoff_Atkinson
21-04-2006, 05:58 PM
If the 115 is as good as the 90 I've got, no problems

Alan_L
21-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I too had this same dilemma. Went with the 150 E-Tec in the end. Pick it up next week.

Chris_Riethmuller
21-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I had a 50 etec and was rapped in its performance, no fumes heaps of power and good on fuel, I did have some minute problems but they where sorted straight away, I now have a 175hpdi yammy on my current boat and also love its performance and economy but still get some but very little fumes at times, if looking to upgrade I would definately look at an etec.
Regards Chris

FishHunta
21-04-2006, 09:27 PM
hey Alan L,

I'm thinking of buying a 150 E-Tec myself, can you tell me what price you got yours for? I'm looking to compare prices versus the Suzuki 140 hp 4 stroke.

Daz.

Alan_L
21-04-2006, 09:43 PM
G'day FishHunta,
150 E-Tec was approx $1700 dearer than the 140.

As it was with a boat/motor/trailer package I only got the difference in price.

Cheers
Alan

FishHunta
21-04-2006, 09:48 PM
cheers mate ;)

hogesTS
21-04-2006, 10:14 PM
a mate has a 90 etec on his 5m alloy frontrunner and is very happy with it, says it has cut his fuel bill by 2/3rds over his old 70 yamaha.

ribbit
22-04-2006, 07:34 PM
I have a 115 etec getting fitted in 3-4 days and can't wait. Dealer fitted one last week onto a 5 mtr fibreglass boat and from a 115 carb to etec went up 2 prop sizes 17" to 21" prop. ummm

I will post pics and test results hopefully by wed/thurs. It is going onto 5.25 stacer and hopefully 50-52 mph will be nice.
post it soon

seatime
22-04-2006, 08:07 PM
ribbit, look forward to ur reports. What type of boat is it that will swing the 21" prop?

How heavy is ur stacer loaded, as an estimate. cheers, Steve.

ribbit
22-04-2006, 09:27 PM
it is a 5.25 stacer bowrider, had a 19" pitch on 115 johno carb and spun nicely to 5600rpm Tried 21" on carb but no good. used to get 46mph on gos flat out with carb.
etec should be good, will post report soon

bassfanatic5
23-04-2006, 09:13 AM
awoonga,
I am on my 3rd etec and couldn't be happier had a 50 then a 60 now i have a 200 on the way, just about all of my mates have repowered with etec's and have not heard one of them complain about anything to do with the motors. #The fact that they use stratified combustion at low revs is a big seller for fuel economy and superlow 450rpm idle allows them to troll very slow.

Nugget
23-04-2006, 01:28 PM
I've also looked pretty hard at the E-Techs.
As well as the lower fuel consumption, one thing that impressed me was the oil consumption.
In all new motors these days you have to use the manufacturer's recommended oil or else void your warranty.
The E-Techs have a variable oil system - at worst it mixes at 75:1 and at best 300:1.
Oil consumption is the lowest of any 2-stroke I have ever seen.
They also have a 'limp home mode' - 5 hours running even with no oil.
Run in is also interesting - flat out from day 1 - no run in period.
And first service (from memory) is at around 300 hours I think.
I spoke to an E-Tech dealer the other day and he said he is just this month seeing the first E-techs in for their first service – sold 3 years ago!
In the get up and go stakes – they excel.
Very interesting.

Dave ><>

peter
23-04-2006, 07:07 PM
ribbit
I get around 42mph out of my 90 e-tec on a 5.25 Bluefin bowrider. I'm happy with that top speed. You'll be flying at 50-52 mph with the 115.

Can't wait for your report

Peter

Ron173
23-04-2006, 08:10 PM
I just ordered an ETEC 90 with my new boat package.

Heard nothing but heaps of praise for them, know several owners, well satisfied. Tested to satisfaction on water.

Stax of grunt, great fuel, no smoke..... like the commercial says... lose weight, give up smoking!!!

There was a few issues with the 60hp, but it was an ignition mapping issue, long sorted now, also a mod to one of cooling passages, again on 60hp, was running too cold and affecting acceleration, again sorted.

All new products are subject to teething problems in one or two models in range, point is how well its dealt with. Evinrude sorted out no dramas.

All engines nowadays are run by electronics, if thats not suitable you'll need to buy a 70's Johnson which will be well used to get away from it.

The ETEC is the cleanest engine on the planet, and even now is about 5yrs ahead of its time.

Its the best technology available, Evinrude got it right, buy with confidence. It has soo many features, like the auto extra oil for 10hrs, which you dont need to worry about, hence no break in. Even if you run out of oil, it will still run at reduced revs for up to 5hrs to get you home.

No service for 3 yrs!!! how many oil changes n filters will a four stroke chew in that time?

The post above that refers to better fuel consumption than a 70 yammie on an ETEC 90, just about sums it up.

It is simply the best, most advanced, cleanest 2 stroke, actually cleanest engine, you can buy.

If your not convinced by all these posts here, go buy a conventional 2 stroke and enjoy the fuel bill, or a 4 stroke and again enjoy the servicing bills, or go with the best and get an ETEC with 4 stroke economy, 2 stroke simplicity, and cleaner than 4 stroke emissions.

Cant wait for mine to arrive.

Ron

peter
23-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Just wondering,

I have a e-tec, (very happy) I went to the tinny show the other weekend expecting to see a bit of a push for the e-tec's, expecially with the new sizes about to hit the market.
I seen very little at the show, I was at a bit of a loss why they weren't pushing this good product.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Peter

Baycruiser
23-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Judging by the posts.......I'd say the product is pushing itself just fine!!

mcgilld
24-04-2006, 12:23 AM
Hey Alan-L.
Can you let us know how your 150 e-tec goes. I'm thinking of one for a heavy old Cruise craft, so interested in what weight and economy the 150 can achieve. What hull weight are you putting it on?

Cheers
Dave

Alan_L
24-04-2006, 06:03 AM
Hi Dave, it's going on a Cruise Craft Outsider 575. Baycruiser has posted quite a bit of info on the post called "Cruise Craft Outsider 575", I think its on page 2 or 3.

Cheers
Alan

vertico
24-04-2006, 01:12 PM
etec 90
300 hours
1 year from new
just about to get its 1st service and no dramas
best economy so far is around 2.5km per litre and worst around 2km per litre depending on load
my boat is a stabicraft frontier 529 and cruises at around 40km/hr or max speed of 65km/hr (unloaded?)
im running a 17" prop and a stingray foil. The foil robs a little power but pushes my boats nose down alot which i need running offshore all the time.
Ive used about 4 bottles of oil in this period of xd100 which needless to say is f&#$ all in my opinion.

Badone
24-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Vertico, I have a 90etec on a long boat which tends to porpise a little into a sea even with the trim all the way down. I was considering putting a foil on the motor to remedy this. My question is do they really work in keeping the nose down and what brand would be a good one ? Thanks.

vertico
25-04-2006, 05:07 PM
yerh badone, they work well
mine porpoised like a biatch :)
try a stingray foil see how it goes

FishHunta
26-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I was just told (by a suzuki dealer) that the e-tech req's sythetic oil, that is extremely epensive, & once added to the overall fuel costs will cost more per klm than a 4/st. Also that e-tech's use less fuel than 4/st at low rpm, but more at high rpm.

Can anyone set me straight?

\Cheers, Daz

vertico
26-04-2006, 05:41 PM
i think where it will count is in the cheaper servicing, etecs can run on standard oil or xd100 which is synthetic ($60 per gallon)
They wont be as efficient on standard oil as they are on xd100 but supposedly are cheaper to run on xd100. Im yet to hear from someone that has done the comparison.

Ron173
26-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Fishhunta,

ETECs can run on XD50 as standard, or can be programmed to run on XD100.

XD100 is a synthetic oil, and costs from my local dealer $56 for 4.5ltr.

When on XD100 it is programmed and will use 50% less oil.

Cant speak from experience yet, but I'm told on average recreational boating thats about a years worth. (1 bottle)

Poster above here got 300hrs on 4 bottles, that is truly not a significant cost, and the cost of oil changes and filter changes on a 4st, will easily outcost the oil.

There is NO way an ETEC will be more exy to run than a similair 4stroke, as you'll get as good as or better fuel economy, its lighter, and even on the synthetic oil which is not essential, will be far cheaper than filters oil changes and heaps more frequent servicing.

Incidentally its about $8 a bottle more exy for synthetic with 50% less useage, why wouldnt you.

Hope this helps you choose wisely

Rgds

Ron

StevenM
26-04-2006, 07:06 PM
So Trev, have ya made a decision yet or got the answers you wanted yet??

BTW I dont use the XD100. Had it reprogramed to use normal stuff and have been putting TWC3 in it since about two months old.

Cheers

Steven

Geoff_Atkinson
27-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi-Yo,

Why?

Awoonga
27-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Steve Still looking mate... prices seem about the same ..Will go a 60 hp whatever way l go.....its down between a Yamme or ETech

StevenM
27-04-2006, 06:29 PM
Sea Raider,

why what??...TCW3 oil??

cheers

Steven

StevenM
27-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah Trev,

no differece in coin but weight would be, esp on the edgetracker.

Cheers

Steven

Geoff_Atkinson
28-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Hi Hi-Yo,

My apologies, yes, why the TCW3 oil?

My dealer indicated that I shouldnt use anything but XD100 and its the only one I have used since new.

What fuel and oil economy are you getting with the TCW3?

Cheers,

Geoff.

StevenM
28-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Geoff,

I had a mapping issue in the ECM when it was new and had a no oil situation / fault that was annoying the shite out of me. This only happened when it was cold.

One of the things that I asked the dealer to do was to re calibrrate the ECM with standard oil instead of the XD100.

Fixed the problem and I get the TCW3 for nothing. Double reason actually.

Fuel ecconomy has not changed and as far as oil usage goes dont notice a double usage etc. Same thing as before I just top up when necessary.

Cheers

Steven

Awoonga
28-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Steve... am l missing something.... weight 1 kg the diff ???

StevenM
29-04-2006, 05:09 AM
Trev your right, and the rude is the heavy weight.

4 some reason had in my mind that the yammy was aroung 125kg

Really see your delema now

Whats your closest dealer sell...Yammy?

Have they been good 2 u in the past?

I had these decisions

Cheers

Steven

Awoonga
29-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Yammie Dealer @happy rock....The Rude ..... Rocky...Looks like the Yam gets the nod.... there fitted price is only $148 dearer than Brissy

isaac
29-04-2006, 09:37 AM
good choice, you won't be dissapointed. The EFI Yammy 60 is the best in its class by far. Ben

StevenM
29-04-2006, 10:51 AM
Deal done Trev.

It all really comes down to your support that you can get.

Ive had yammie's, zuks and this is the second rude but all are good straight out of the box.

As far as dealer support around brissy it is all close really.

Youll have to post a few snaps when she's all done.

Cheers

Steven

wheezer
02-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm in exactly the same dilemma as you Trev, I'd be interested to see how smooth the 60 ETEC is compared to the yami...it says its only a 2-cyl compared to a 4-cyl in the yami...less cylinders for similair capacity and power output usually mean rougher running...