PDA

View Full Version : Help with trimming motor

skins4
01-05-2006, 11:26 AM
Hi, Can anyone help me with trimming a motor?

I have a 25 Mercury on a 4.2m tinny. It only has a manual adjustment by relocating the "stop pin" in any one of about 6 different positions. Question is with extra people in boat, compared to only by myself, which way do I adjust the pin to get the nose of the boat out of the water more? Do I move the pin closer to the transom or further away? I suppose it is the same as with Power trim, do you tilt the motor up or down to bring the nose out of the water more?

Cheers steve0 :) :)

finga64
01-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Further out brings the nose up.
Amasing the difference it makes on the smaller motors. :)
May need different adjustments depending on the number/weight of the others.
Cheers Scott

fishn-ads
01-05-2006, 05:16 PM
SteveO,
To trim a Outboard out/up for the hole shot (start) to reduce amount of boat in the water at low speed, and trim motor in/down to pull the Bow(front) of the boat down to achieve plane (where she rides almost even along length of keel).
Find the best setting for your normal load and leave the pin there. The 25 hp will find it hard going getting the 4.2 out of the water with much of a load, as 14footers are fairly beamy for the length (most are sold with 30/40hp now). Easiest way is to get the biggest of your crew to move aft(back) with you while you get going and then forward once underway. Experiment a little she aint gunna be a rocketship, see you on the water.

skins4
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I do believe it would be better with a 30 or 40 HP on it but this is what it had when I bought it. I'll have a tinker around and see if I can get in running better.

steve0 :)

fishn-ads
02-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Does it have a hydro foil? if not there cheap and they do work.