PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Mag Wheels on Trailer

whichway
01-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi

I need to shave a few kgs off the boat and trailer, and was thinking about putting mags on the trailer. I thought I would try to get some second hand ones (to suit the HT pattern studs)

1. Are there any corrossion issues with unpainted mags in salt water
2. How do I stop them getting knocked off in the carpark. Can't use those key lock nuts in salt water
3. I currently have a light truck tyre with a high profile. Will I be able to get a mag in a size to match the existing holden steel rim
4. Anything else?

Thanks

Whichway

finga64
01-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Yep, no worries on putting them on. !4X5 mags for HT holdens aren't real common but 14X6 can be found.
Trailer places can get the HT pattern alloy wheels in 14" or 13" and put LT tyres on them.
It's nearly more economical to change the hubs and get some 14" ford alloys on the trailer (that's if you have 14" on it at the moment). The wheels are everywhere (like brown dogs they are ;)) and galv. hubs are only about $40 a set with a new set of bearings thrown in. Less likely to get pinched too as the ford wheels are common as.
Remember to get the wheels that use a normal tapered nut not those long stepped nuts. Less chance of a nut corroding in the wheel.
I changed mine to alloys but I also had to get a new axle so I used ford lazer alloys with some 13" LT tyres and got a longer axle to allow for the offset of the wheels
:)

Captain_Starli
01-05-2006, 09:38 AM
when i bought my boat & trailer i was going to fit mags, was told to regularly take them off & on so they dont get a buildup of salt, corrosion etc on studs. apparently they can be a real problem if not serviced regularly :-[

rando
01-05-2006, 10:08 AM
When Magnesium wheels first came on the market we called them Mags. I wonder what we would have called them if they were made from Titanium??? ;D ;D ;D

webby
01-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Mate for years i had trubs with wheels on my trailer, only running single axle and due to the weight of my rig.
Before chrissy i finally went bigger 14" and brought some second hand camry mags and LT tyres, it raised the trailer somewhat, and guards had to be raised, but no corroision and the ride and towing is now really great.
Just give a good wash off when home.
regards

whichway
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi

Thanks for the advice. Ausfishers know just about everything that you need to know.

Regards

Whichway

jarnus5
01-05-2006, 02:46 PM
If they are alloy, don't do it. Alloy rims react in salt water. I have had them react and then leak air between the tire and rim.

Hagar
01-05-2006, 02:55 PM
As the guys have said - there is no problem doing this except the 14'' tyres in wider than about 195 x 14 are hard to find for most wider alloys now . As regards the nuts and studs corroding - one word - grease . Put them on with plenty of good boating grease ( the blue marine stuff by castrol or from most marine outlets not the wheel bearing ones ) and use plenty . Re-do once a year . A smear on the mating surface of the hub is good also . Being a bit greasy makes them look less attractive to ramp scum too .

Finga Did you find you had to machine out the hub centre on the Laser wheels to fit over the axle hub centre as I have had to before .

Chris

finga64
01-05-2006, 05:32 PM
Yep, hole saws do a great job #:)
Cheap as chips though the Lazer alloys.
4X13" alloys with good LT tyres all for $100. $40 for galv hubs and about $30 for a new axle and the jobs done #:)
I do spray some lanox around the rim edge to try and ward off any water getting between the tyres and the rim edge as mentioned previously.
:)

sempre
01-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Have had a set of HT pattern 15 inch alloys on my trailer for over a year now , pulled them off to do a wheel bearing service a month ago , like brand new , lock nuts fine .

2iar
02-05-2006, 10:59 AM
2. How do I stop them getting knocked off in the carpark. Can't use those key lock nuts in salt water

You could try Klamp-Its or similar wheel clamps, but they're expensive.

Good luck,
Mike

nicko233
02-05-2006, 08:29 PM
gday ,whichway
you can fit mags to trailers if the axle has automotive hubs,auto hubs have metric studs,trailer hubs have imperial.the best way to seat a mag wheel is with mag nuts which dont come in imperial ,my advice would be to purchase purpose made alloys from trailer shop,use silver grease on studs,spray wheels with spraygrease then drive down dirt road to camoflage those new wheels

nicko