PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if fuel has been pre mixed

Pwoida
03-05-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a 25l tank I filled with unleaded about four weeks ago and I cant remember if I put oil in it. I dont want to run the risk of running the tank without oil and I'd rather not run at 25:1 if I add another lot of oil. How can I tell if I've already put the oil in? With fuel priced the way it is I'd rather not waste it.

PADDLES
03-05-2006, 12:55 PM
the oil usually has a dye in it that will tint the colour of your petrol

Pwoida
03-05-2006, 01:01 PM
What colour is unleaded normally? Or does it vary?

blaze
03-05-2006, 01:22 PM
TIP IT IN THE CAR, takes all the risk away
cheerrs
blaze

Cruiser
03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Unleaded Petrol is normally purple. #Premium unleaded is yellow.

As paddles said, most oils have a dye so you can tell if it's been added to the fuel but most of the time you still can't be sure. #If you add oil dyed red to standard unleaded it still looks the same.

I agree with Blaze, put it into your car. #It will only cost you the 500ml of oil that way. #Make up a new batch which will be fresher anyway.

By the way, I made up a label saying "WARNING - NO OIL" which I attach to my two stroke fuel containers when filling up. #I only remove it after adding the oil.

Chris.

Edit... I said I agreed with Paddles but meant Blaze. Actually I agree with both of them - how sweet :)

ahoj
03-05-2006, 01:46 PM
2 stroke oil Yamaha will turn your petrol dirty green that will be your idetification
and ignore blaze lol
I use TC-W3 Formula from Valvoline (Which is dark green)Yamaha is a lot dearer buy the same. when i fill the tank from a bowser i know exactly how many liters and add oil accordingly may it be 50:1 0r 100:1 --for my yamahe recommended dose is 50:1 but i use 75:1....

Ahoj

on-one
03-05-2006, 03:09 PM
If you put a few few drops on concrete in the sun next to what you know is clean fuel the clean fuel will evaporate quicker and not leave a mark (which is fine for a crappy mower but entirely up to you if you want to risk an outboard)

Spaniard_King
03-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Just throw some more oil in it and use it.. 25:1 will still run fine in ya outboard

garry

fishn-ads
03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
As Sparniard said probably time she had a good lub up anyhow, and no one will be able to follow you to your secret spot what with the smoke screen ;D ;D Newer engine i wouldn't? Safest as said above stick it in the wifes car if something goes wrong blame her.

lippa
03-05-2006, 08:46 PM
i got an oil injected 2 stroke (about 70hrs) every 4th tank or so i through oil in the tank just make sure she's getting the lube!! great for pissing the renters off next door too when i flush her out :D i know, i'm an ahole, but they piss me off alot more!!

tiny_tinny
04-05-2006, 05:43 AM
If I add oil, but won't be adding the ULP for a while (or vice versa), I wrap a bit of masking tape around the handle saying "oil added" or whatever. I don't trust my memory anymore - as sign of old age, perhaps.

Mike

falcon01
04-05-2006, 06:26 AM
most brand of oil turn it either black or green I know quicksilver premium plus turn it blackish/green

catchy_fishy
04-05-2006, 06:32 AM
me too, my "oiled" tanks are much darker than my non oiled ones - dark green (but I am using leaded).

Mike

Tony_N
04-05-2006, 06:33 AM
I don't have any 2-stroke around to test this #- but I have a memory that if you give 2-stroke a good shake up in a small glass container, it tends to go a bit frothy like soapy water. #Straight petrol does not do this.

WARNING

I don't think I dreamed this #- but can't remember where I got it from - #So please do not assume that it is true without testing the theory with known mixes first.

FWIW

Tony

jack1
04-05-2006, 10:58 AM
If you dip your finger in the mixed petrol, your finger will have an oily film on the skin when the petrol dries.

baldyhead
04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Pour about a thimble full onto some newspaper, when it dries if you have added oil you will see it !

Pwoida
04-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks to the above advice, I now have decided that I don't have oil in my tank. I should re-name this thread "101 ways to tell if you have oil in your fuel" ;D

Cheers,

Peter.