PDA

View Full Version : Lanoline Spray???

shaman
01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey guys. i live on the water and have no boat ramp, I recently pulled my tinny out of the water because of marine growth. As it's a new boat I don't want to anti-foul it (re-sale value) and I was telling a bloke I met and he suggested spraying lanoline spray on it as when it hits the water it solidifies much like wax and if you need to remove it just use degreaser. :) Apparently it lasts 6-10 months.
Have any of you learned gents heard of this technique and if so is it successful? Or is there any related dramas?
Or do you have any other ideas. Thanx, Billy.

Lucky_Phill
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
http://www.lanotec.com.au/

have a read of this./

Cheers Phill

sempre
01-05-2006, 06:23 PM
Apparently lanoline eats galvanizing , but its great on outboards . Info comes from a trailer mob that builds over 200 trailers a month , so i suppose they would know .

nigelr
01-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Mate, recommend you do not get it anywhere near your fuel system.
Good for water resistance, for sure! Stuff is pretty sticky!
Prolly worth a try IMO, but hopefully you will get some better informed opinions.
Cheers mate and good luck, certainly better for the environment!

Tony_N
02-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Apparently lanoline eats galvanizing , but its great on outboards . Info comes from a trailer mob that builds over 200 trailers a month , so i suppose they would know .

AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!! Tell me this isn't true. Anybody else heard about this one? I've put HEAPS of the stuff (Lanotec) on my (almost) new trailer.

Tony

finga64
02-05-2006, 07:54 AM
don't worry Tony
http://www.lanotec.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=112

BrandonH
02-05-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey all, I have been using inox with Lanlin for over 18 months now. I spray it on my hubs, springs and axle. as well as all over my motor (with couling off (spelling ::)) while its running. Also spray it into the conections of the electric motor and sounder. Have just resently started spraying my runners on the rods and the reels too after every second use (I clean everything bar inside the motor with water!!) has worked a treat:) I have found that there is less crap that gets into my reels now with this fine coating and the small amount of rust on my springs has disapeared!! great stuff.

Cheers
Brandon...

Tony_N
02-05-2006, 11:08 AM
don't worry Tony
http://www.lanotec.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=112

Yeh, thanks Scott - I read all that stuff before I did it. I feel reassured reading it again though. Can't really see how it can "eat" galvanizing - its just an oil after all. Can't imagine salty water getting under it either - its pretty tacky stuff. Maybe the trailer company has a vested interest in discouraging people from using the stuff??

BTW still haven't tested the Gizmo for size. In Lismore because we got an offer for our house. Back to Ballina and the boat tonight

Tony

Dignity
02-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Tony, its basic ingrediemt is wool grease. Now if lactating mothers can use it on their breasts then it's gotta be good for the trailer.

Sam

mark221263
02-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Hi, I've been using lanoline greese mixed with 3 parts turps and spraying, brushing, rooling onto my trailer which I bought new 2 years ago.

It's held up perfect with the only down side is that things feel a little tacky.

Highly recommended by all the trawler and barge guys around Bris so can't se any reason why it would attack Gal parts.

Cheers Mark

mark221263
02-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi, I've been using lanoline greese mixed with 3 parts turps and spraying, brushing, rolling onto my trailer which I bought new 2 years ago.

It's held up perfect with the only down side is that things feel a little tacky.

Highly recommended by all the trawler and barge guys around Bris so can't se any reason why it would attack Gal parts.

Cheers Mark

Spaniard_King
02-05-2006, 07:54 PM
I was in a GC trailer manufacturers shop today and guess what... he is marketing a form of lanolin to protect trailers.

Looks like i will be going down this path as well

coasty
02-05-2006, 08:36 PM
ive had lanolin grease on my trailer for 5 years and i also use it on the dash of the truck. no problems yet. my mums uncle was a shearer and he has clippers that are 60 years old and look great. they are covered in lanolin

sempre
02-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey guys , its just what i was told , personally i didnt buy it because of this info . But hey , if it works good for you . Did anyone see 'apparently ' in my post , just checking .

Dignity
03-05-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey guys , its just what i was told , personally i didnt buy it because of this info . But hey , if it works good for you . Did anyone see 'apparently ' in my post , just checking . sempre, don't think any one was having a go at you only the "suggestion", could be the trailer place may have been trying to avoid warranty claims based on use of third party products - good old wool grease is one of the best things to use on clean steel as coasty attests to. Rub it in and it seems to bond/penetrate with the steel to give it a protective coating. The operative word is CLEAN, if it is rusty it will always be an uphill battle. The spray stuff while good and better than CRC (although the jury is out on the old WD40) it is not anywhere near as good as the grease.

sam

coasty
03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
your right about the rusty metal.
i tried it on some flakey rust after it was cleaned but it didnt work
slows down surface rust thou.

Stu
03-05-2006, 07:47 PM
My trailer is only a few months old so I"ll be going down the lanolin path as well. Sounds like a real winner. ;)
I'm just in the process of getting rid of odd spots of corrosion on the outboard mounting points so after the paint dries I'll coat the areas in lanolin as well for some welcome insurance against further corrosion. :)
Cheers
Stu

Morlers
04-05-2006, 08:14 AM
I have seen first hand a new trailer sprayed all over with commercial aerosol cans on lanolin BEFORE immersion in salt water with the result of 'white rust' over all parts of the trailer within two months. The 'white rust' appeared on every part even though a lot of different galvanisers would have been involved in the trailer manufacture. The dealer, after consultation and inspection by manufacturer, suggests that the problem was caused by the dilutant used with the lanolin (to make it spray out of the can) being corrosive to the zinc (galvanising).

I feel after this that there is nothing wrong with the lanolin, only the dilutants thinning the stuff. A better solution would be to dilute the lanolin yourself with say terps (or similar) and spray with a pump pack.

:) :)

Morlers

shaman
04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
I have seen first hand a new trailer sprayed all over with commercial aerosol cans on lanolin BEFORE immersion in salt water with the result of 'white rust' over all parts of the trailer within two months. #The 'white rust' appeared on every part even though a lot of different galvanisers would have been involved in the trailer manufacture. #The dealer, after consultation and inspection by manufacturer, suggests that the problem was caused by the dilutant used with the lanolin (to make it spray out of the can) being corrosive to the zinc (galvanising).

I feel after this that there is nothing wrong with the lanolin, only the dilutants thinning the stuff. #A better solution would be to dilute the lanolin yourself with say terps (or similar) and spray with a pump pack.

Morlers

Hey guys, do you think that any of the above dramas would effect alloy as in a tinny?? and should i use spray pack or dilute it with turps, a little concerned with the turps being a bio-hazard. don't want the canal rainbow effect IYKWIM. Billy

Morlers
04-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi Billy

When we did the trailer with the spray cans some of the lanolin got on the alloy hull but had no effect on the alluminium. It must only be the zinc that the dilutants reacted with.

Morlers

Dignity
04-05-2006, 06:02 PM
coasty, for the rusty bits try a rust converter first afyer cleaning it up as much as possible and then hit it with Penetrol - doesn't come in a spray

billy, best thing for ally is Tectyl but make sure it is meant aluminium which goes on clear as the one meant for steel is rust coloured

sam

impulse492f
04-05-2006, 09:33 PM
I have seen first hand a new trailer sprayed all over with commercial aerosol cans on lanolin BEFORE immersion in salt water with the result of 'white rust' over all parts of the trailer within two months. The 'white rust' appeared on every part even though a lot of different galvanisers would have been involved in the trailer manufacture. The dealer, after consultation and inspection by manufacturer, suggests that the problem was caused by the dilutant used with the lanolin (to make it spray out of the can) being corrosive to the zinc (galvanising).

I feel after this that there is nothing wrong with the lanolin, only the dilutants thinning the stuff. A better solution would be to dilute the lanolin yourself with say terps (or similar) and spray with a pump pack.

Morlers

Guess what,

I have also seen this on my trailer after using Lanolin but which one? as I've used Lanox, Lanotec spray can and Lanotec pump pack (no propellant), (both Lanotec are from Bannings).

The white "powder" formed on some gal nuts at the base of my winch and from memory I only used the spray cans on the winch and not the pump packs.

I couldn't work it out, I'm going to get some gal brackets from work and try the different types to see what’s causing it.

sempre
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Maybe the trailer guys were right , who knows , at least now were all confused :-/ :-/.

mark221263
05-05-2006, 07:02 AM
There are probably a whole range of carries used depending on what product you buy, for my trailer I've used lanolin grease mixed with turps over th epast 2 years with good results.

I've found the Lanotec products (although a bit dearer) to appear to work the best. They also have some of the best testing info and commercial user data available. It is totally inert as there tests say it can be sprayed directly onto circuit boards. As solder also has tin and lead and corrosion is a real killer on them I don't see how this product could be harmful to gal.

Anyway, I recently purchased some of their heavy duty liquid to try, it's made up of lanollin and Naphtha which is an insoluble but evapourating oil/petrolium by-product so all shoud be sweet, but I'll test a spot 1st.

;)

SNAFU
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
TO ALL,
i got my fisher 12 months ago (2nd hand).it had some nylac type stuff on it (not from col) that the previous owner put on and it was rubbish. i cleaned the boat with kero and detergants and rinced till boat (external) was CLEAN. then applied by rag 2 coats of lanolin,wiping over excess and waiting overnight befor 2nd coat was applied.waited 2 days then kind of polished hull til a sheen came up.to this day water still "beads up" and runs of to leave hull almost dry. the remainder is washed of by quick go over with banister brush and hose to leave boat completly salt free and dry.there is no stickyness about it either or residue.
it is brilliant stuff. i would recomend it to anyone.
as for galvo, i applied tectyl to trailer and it does have some of that white "rust" but only on parts that didnot get smotherd in tectyl. preperation is very important for any coating, dont forget.
lanolin is also a good wood preserver, why do you think wool sheds are so old...nothing eats them and they dont rot.

snafu

troy
05-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I recently used Lanox on my beach trailer and the steel was painted but the next time i saw it there was some reaction to the multi rollers brackets as there was all these white patches on them.
They were brand new and had not been in salt water so i do not know what to make off it.
But i do know something has caused a reaction and it is very noticeable.
Troy

coasty
05-05-2006, 06:35 PM
its got me buggered. i used the grease on the gal then used a heat gun to make it run. i used the pump pack on the springs and down inside the tubes . must be the thinners in it.

Dignity
05-05-2006, 09:18 PM
maybe it is like most products ,it's all in the preparation - if there is salt residue it will always cause a problem. As Mark 22----- (to many numbers there Mark) says there are different products on the market. I currently have a can of Lanotec spray but I don't think it is as good as the last product I used. Do you think I can remember what it was but it definately had a much stronger lanolin smell and didn't dry out as quickly. I'm sure if I see the can again I will remember it - maybe not, seeing manufacturers like changing the labels.

sam