PDA

View Full Version : Cheap chinese motors

gif
29-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Doe anyone know where I can get a real cheap motor I heard of some guy at the tweed heads has chinese made copies

email preferred - g.fooks@uq.net.au

thanks

Gary

StevenM
29-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Would that be a electric motor that you are chasing Gary??

Or are you chasing a Engine.

If so what,how big, hp, cubes, to go in etc

gif
29-04-2006, 11:01 AM
Right now 15 to 60 hp #outboards

Electric motor #- I am after a big one for October # - but need to look now

GAry

sempre
29-04-2006, 01:18 PM
I have heard that there is some going around and they are cheap , but dont have any details .

gunnabuild1
29-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Seen some on E-Bay SAIL brand dont know how cheap they are compared to a 2nd hand low hours known brand with parts and service back-up.Maybe someone out there can give us an ownership report.They claim to be yamaha parts compatible so who knows.I tried to put in a link but my teenagers are off having a life and I dont know how.
Hope this is of use

Dodgy_Back
29-04-2006, 10:00 PM
sailengines.com

Cheap as chips, but somehow didn't seem quite real.
Maybe set up by Piranha rods ?

Mick

MulletMan
29-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I am one of those peculiar guys :-/ who believes that somethings can be bought cheaply and probably be OK.
I kinda feel that when your life could depend on the reliability of the thing pushing you through the water, I would rather stick some extra $$$$$$$$$$ in and get the motor that will guarantee that!

FNQCairns
30-04-2006, 05:56 AM
I brought up these engines when they first arrived on ebay I think, I am fairly handy and with a bit of head scratching have been able to deal with every motor related problem on any of my stuff in the last 15 years or so without the intervention of a mechanic (except blaze by PM) although I have had bugger all to do with outboard mechanics in the last 5 years or so.
When I first noticed the Chinese motors I had hoped they were from the same production line as the Yam but it was soon pointed out to me they were nothing but a cheap rip off copy.
Supposing the powerhead and gearbox hold up, they might make a good freshwater engine I guess.
My two bob is leave them for the guinea pigs until the results come in, from memory they were only around 30% cheaper? 70% cheaper would raise an eyebrow.

Cheers fnq

2iar
30-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I am one of those peculiar guys :-/ who believes that somethings can be bought cheaply and probably be OK.
I kinda feel that when your life could depend on the reliability of the thing pushing you through the water, I would rather stick some extra $$$$$$$$$$ in and get the motor that will guarantee that!

Amen to that. Rather then looking for a cheap outboard, I'd be looking at what's the best outboard for the job, and then concentrate on getting the best possible deal on it.

Good luck,
Mike

MTS_-_fish_magnet
05-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Wouldn't touch em with a long bargepole >:(

They sold air compressors and generators at Bunnings a while back and they lasted 2 shots >:(

They are doing the same as how the Japs started but the Japs woke up and realised that only quality sells - the rest is history. :)

I'm not sure the Chinese will ever get it. I'd rather pay 1001% more to ensure I can to and from the boat ramp :)