PDA

View Full Version : MONO HULL OWNERS NEED TO RESPOND

troy
30-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Are cats the perfect boat.
Do cat owners ever tell you about any faults they have.
I would realy like a honest answer to this.
Troy

fishn-ads
30-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Troy have you had an altercation with a Cat owner? I've only had interests monos and are at present waiting for delivery of a new Steesco 14Footer after down grading from a Signature 530f, earlier Haines V17l even earlier Quintex Fisherman my first boat was a 14ft bondy and a Flightcraft Banshee ski boat in the middle. A good mates got a big Kevla and I think if had the money and the need I'd have one. But all boats have there fores and against, horses for courses i guess.

fishn-ads
30-04-2006, 08:45 PM
Troy have you had an altercation with a Cat owner?
I've only had interests in monos and are at present waiting for delivery of a new Steesco 14Footer after down grading from a Signature 530f, earlier Haines V17l even earlier Quintex Fisherman my first boat was a 14ft bondy and a Flightcraft Banshee ski boat in the middle.
A good mates got a big Kevla and I think if had the money and the need I'd have one.
But all boats have there fores and against, horses for courses i guess.

troy
30-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Yes troy they are not as good as people make out and on occasions they are not a safe boat. ;D ;D

steveg1100
30-04-2006, 09:39 PM
All boats have their pluses and minusus.

What we need is an indication of how many people have gone from mono to cats versus how many people have gone from cats to mono.

Grand_Marlin
30-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I am watching you Troy .... [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif] [smiley=alien.gif]

2iar
30-04-2006, 09:59 PM
There's no such thing as the perfect boat.

The nearest you can have is the perfect boat for you.

Even the most polarized mono or cat owners would surely have to agree on that.

<Group Hug> [smiley=love.gif]

Good luck,
Mike

gawby
30-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Have i missed something here
Graeme

Angla
30-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm a mono fan!

I hated the cat I used to go on for its unusual ride and the feeling that it would tip when travelling side on to the waves. It felt great at other times and had plenty of other plusses, except the heavy fuel consumption.

Always chundered in the cat (10 out of 10 trips) and never in the Mono (nearly 8 years now)

Chris

onerabbit
30-04-2006, 10:57 PM
No-one has the perfect boat, agreed.

2 guys in my club have cats, 1 alloy, 1 glass. Both complain of fuel bills higher than mine, near twice, both are physically bigger boats than mine.
Neither travel faster at sea than mine in normal conditions, although I think the cats (only been in one of the two) probably handle better if it gets really rough.
1 of the 2 has been looking at going back to a mono for economy.

It really does seem to come down to personal preference & budget.

I have a great mono, great economy & at least the range of the cats.
But thats me,

Muzz

PinHead
01-05-2006, 01:34 AM
why does this topic get re-run every month ?????????????????????????????????

Fishin_Dan
01-05-2006, 01:41 AM
why does this topic get re-run every month ?????????????????????????????????

So we can find out the fish in the picture is a MILF......... ::)

youngfisho
01-05-2006, 04:33 AM
because troy must be bored this week. :o :o :o :o

troy
01-05-2006, 05:59 AM
Youngfisho is right Troy is bored and i need my monthly fix but Grand Marlin is not helping me out .
And the cats need the exposure. ;)

youngfisho
01-05-2006, 07:05 AM
you must get up pretty early troy. somehow i dont think grand marlin will come out and play. hes to busy working on getting his shark cat in the water so he can show what a good cat is capable of. even after 20 plus years of mono technology.

andrew

troy
01-05-2006, 07:44 AM
All jokes aside what is the weight of cats.
What would be the heavier boat say for comparison a Haines Formula to a 23 ft cat.
Troy

Thebuffalo
01-05-2006, 08:02 AM
It would be inetesting putting this Bertram of mine up against the Cat of Grand Marlins. Considering the age of the boats and the technology at the time. This boat is supposed to be one of the best riding hulls for it's time at 6M / 20ft, and being a mono.

I read a compliance plate on a similar boat the other day and saw it came in at 2.1 tonne.

There is a bloke here with the same hull only newer with a 260 HP chev inboard putting the WOT at 80km/ph. (his quote)

Fuel consumption would probably be similar.

I think as stated though each boat has its benefits. Still it would be an interesting exercise looking at the ride quality aspect only.

Grand_Marlin
01-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Keep in mind this new cat of mine only has a single diesel.

It isnt a fast boat at all...and never will be. 26 - 28 kts tops. The idea is to have a big boat that I can afford to run.

I would love to have a couple of 200 v6's on it, but I just cant afford the fuel.

Why dont you guys get out there and take a ride in some of these boats ... it would answer a lot of your questions very quickly.

The 23 Sharkcat weighs 3 tonne, 4 tonne on trailer.

They are big, heavy and not fuel efficient ... they were designed to do a job, and that job they do very well.

Cheers

Pete

Sportfish_5
01-05-2006, 09:14 AM
They are big, heavy and not fuel efficient ... they were designed to do a job, and that job they do very well.

Like all boats whether mono or cat the only thing they were designed to do and do well is suck money out of your wallet - cats just do that faster in some sorts of rough weather 8-) 8-)

No good will come from this thread ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Noelm
01-05-2006, 10:42 AM
I think Grand marlin has it right, get out and "have a go" don't just make judgements on hear say or gossip, I have had monos of all sizes (still have a tinny) and had cats of various sizes for years and they suit ME! one reason, most of the time spent in my boat is anchored, so, the stability of a cat cannot be beaten, travelling to and from places in "normal" chop is a cats domain, don't care what mono you have, can't beat a cat for room, sure slow trolling into chop is not a big 'feature" and side on creates mist spray but to me the pluses far outweigh the minuses so for the time being for MY fishing it is a 6metre cat, not the best boat in every ones book but it is to me, end of story.

Noelm
01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
OH as for Angla who gets seasick in a cat, never heard of that one, but I am not narrow minded enough to say it cannot happen so I guess for him a cat is out of the qeustion.

troy
01-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Pete life is only short and for that reason i would never get in a cat. ;D
Just been looking through Jeff Webster's book and i got a surprised that the 680 sf Haines is heavier than the Formula.
1250 kg for the 680sf and 1100 kg for the Formula.
Shark Cat 23 Cuddy 1170 kg.
Troy

PinHead
01-05-2006, 12:46 PM
as troy constantly raises this subject, I am starting to think that deep down he wants a cat...just looking for some justification not to

Jack_Montana
01-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Troy,you ask the same question every couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You obviously don't respect the opinions of those who replied last time.

troy
01-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Pinhead you hit the nail right on the head and you made me see the light i will place an order for a cat first thing in the morning.
As for you Jack Montanna this was only a bit of light hearted baiting and i do not raise this every couple of weeks.
As for me not valuating peoples opinions well you think what you like.
Grand Marlin and myself have our goes at each on this issue but that is all there is to it .It is called friends having a joke .
But going by your reply i do not thing you know what that means.
Cats are no doubt a first class boat but i prefer a mono.
And mate i have no regrets of starting this thread [ as you put it every couple of weeks] i am not holding a gun to your head to make you read it.
Troy

nigelr
01-05-2006, 05:21 PM
IMO, almost any boat talk is good talk! :) ;) ;D
Cheers!

Grand_Marlin
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Lol troy.
I know life is short and thats why you wouldnt get in a cat ... the same as all the old people looking at the rollercoaster at dreamworld and not going on it ... the adrenalin rush would kill them ;D ;D ;D ;D

The 1170kg for a 23 foot Cat is rubbish.... otherwise they would be leagal to tow with a Hilux.

Bare hull .... maybe .... but still not convinced.

Cheers

Pete

saurian
01-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Grand Marlin , i have 21 ft alloy cat and it is 1600kg hull only.
Your goldy must be getting close to 2 ton with diesel .
Troy , cats are cats , monos are well monos .

saurian
01-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Marlin, worded that last one wrong , your 23 must be nudging
2 ton then add diesel, hard top , etc.......
Look troy 2 bumps .

ahoj
01-05-2006, 07:20 PM
There is but one perfect Boat ---and that is my 5 m cat with a 6 hp Yamaha I do Tin Can Bay via sandy straight to Maryborogh and back Licking Frazer Island on a windy day or along Poonah coast on calm day.. I never fear to tip over or sink.. since both hulls are fully sealed @ average 20 Km I enjoy my stable boating- fishing and the ecconomy... Just look @ most sea going boats are catamarans single hull keeled boats have had its future.. But when we talk about recreation boating. all types are ok some a bit better and some are real duds.. One has to quietly agree that cats are in all sizes are far more acceptable vessels in our times.
The only disadvantage is the fuel consumption for current cats there is a way to satisfy ones ego's by reducing the size of motors to a modest speeds and yet safe one will really enjoy the stability and safety with better ecconomy after all that is most that matters...
PS my cat is a Minnow as against the noosa and other big cats but my satisfaction can only be shared with other cat owners
Ahoj

troy
01-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Pete it is in his secondhand trailerboats mag i will give you what he says about the 680 sf haines hunter.
Specifications.
Length 6.79 m.
Beam 2.47 m.
Weigth 1250 kg.
Deadrise.22.5
Troy

saurian
01-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Ahoj, nothing satisfies like a bit of pussy.

shaman
01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Personally I don't like cats they're definately not as faithful as canines & as far as mono goes isn't that a form of herpes? :o :o ;D

ahoj
01-05-2006, 08:16 PM
you could be quite right Shamen

MONO: an acute disease characterized by fever and swollen lymph nodes and an abnormal increase of mononuclear leucocytes or monocytes in the bloodstream; not highly contagious; some believe it can be transmitted by kissing

ahoj
01-05-2006, 08:22 PM
sorry joke joke....

Ahoj

saurian
01-05-2006, 08:30 PM
More jokes ,

saurian
01-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Ahoj , is the girl with the wide tunnel a hobie or windrush ?
I used to cut up in hobies , had another look photo, pretty smick...

onerabbit
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Ahoj,

I am stunned that you continue to to compare your rig to that of others, do you not go back & check out others comments??

All power to you that you love your boat, as I do mine, but often your comments are out of place.
You consistantly put people down over their "need" for horsepower for what they do & how they choose to fish.
Why is this????

Fair enough, you have the boat that suits you, but I think that you miss the point that everyone is different & fishes in a different way, & one persons ideal does not suit everyone. You couldn't fish where I go in yours.
Constructive criticism WORKS.

Muzz

snappa
01-05-2006, 11:34 PM
all cats are bad .. there i have said it ....... >:(

i like DOGS prefer bullie's ..... ;D ;D

snappa
01-05-2006, 11:36 PM
all cats are bad .. there i have said it ....... >:(

i like DOGS prefer bullie's ..... ;D ;D

troy
02-05-2006, 05:44 AM
Pete the weight for the 23 Cat is hull weight.
That is the way i read what he means as there is no mention of motors or trailers.
Troy

revs57
02-05-2006, 07:20 AM
A mate of mine has just picked up a 2400 Kevlar jobbie for 100K plus. I suggested that he could get two RipTides and strap them together with a couple of booms for that and some change!!! He did see the funny side;D ;D ;D.

Good onya Troy for keeping our end up

Cheers

Rhys

bushbeachboy
03-05-2006, 09:51 AM
I love cats. In fact I have 3 of them, 2 blacks and a brown. They all eat fish, but the sods want it cut up for them. They are good at keeping the neighbourhood vermin at bay, and occasionally bring some home for me! But I have to ask: How do you trim the claws on a 5 metre cat? Do you throw it out, or does it throw you out? Do you need a big trailer to take it to get vaccinated?

Mononucleosis is a strain of glandular fever. Very nasty.

Ahoj, you should bring your cat up to the Burdekin. Miles and miles of shallow estuaries, it would be very suitable.

GO THE MONOS. ;D ;D ;D

ahoj
03-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Saurian--- Its a Calypso--

Onerabbit true as you say i am a pompus one little bit one sided where I feel i ought to share my pleasure with others but get missunderstood.. but hurting no one...we all know that that all have our own love affair with our own rigs... as for constructive arguments should one dare?????

Ahoj

bidkev
03-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Lol troy.
I know life is short and thats why you wouldnt get in a cat ... the same as all the old people looking at the rollercoaster at dreamworld and not going on it ... the adrenalin rush would kill them ;D ;D ;D ;D

Pete

Pete, I go on rides that my kids wouldn't even dare to. That could indicate something relevant to the thread ;) I'm prepared to take chances so I bought a mono ;D

Seriously, I've never ridden in a mono boat (even allowing for an extra 5ft bigger) that rode as well as my old Virgo cathedral hull.

kev

When there's nothing on TV, most people will watch it anyway.

RobK
03-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Could someone please tell Troy his Crusecraft is the best boat in the world so we can stop wasting time with this. If you belive everything Geoff or Peter Webster write as fact you might even be sillier than I first thought. If you are happy with your boat be happy with it and accept the fact it does ride harder than some other vessels of a similar size but compensates with better stability at rest and slow speed plane than most.

Rob

bidkev
03-05-2006, 11:58 AM
The Virgo with the deckie preparing to launch

Dirtysanchez
03-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Geez, you blokes have it tough! :-/

I just had to reneg on my tinny due to lack of storage space in the yard, so now I don't even have a bl@@dy boat !

I think the key message in all this is if you have a boat, enjoy it.. take it from me, any boat is a good boat compared to no boat !

:'(

troy
03-05-2006, 02:00 PM
Could someone tell Robk to put a sock in his mouth.
If i am waisting time why are you reading this thread.
And i do not have to be told how good or bad my boat is as i will be the judge of that.
Lighten up mate and do not take things to serious otherwise you will be a more bitter person than you are already.
Troy

saurian
03-05-2006, 07:25 PM
Ahoj, keep telling everyone about your pride and joy.
At least it is an original, unique craft .Not just another cruise craft,
cat wake eater.

Grand_Marlin
03-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Onya Kevy [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Good to see ya livin on the edge ... rollercoasters ... monohulls ... and catfish...

Doesnt get much hairier than that ;D

troy
03-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Could someone please tell Troy his Crusecraft is the best boat in the world so we can stop wasting time with this. If you belive everything Geoff or Peter Webster write as fact you might even be sillier than I first thought. If you are happy with your boat be happy with it and accept the fact it does ride harder than some other vessels of a similar size but compensates with better stability at rest and slow speed plane than most.

Rob
Realy what are you mouthing off about asking people to say i have the best boat and on top of that you rubbish the Websters boating knowledge.
As you have stated if i take notice of there experience i am more stupid then you think.
What experience have you achieved to make statements like that.
I realy would like to hear what you have to offer unless you might be wasting my time.
Troy

spuderico
03-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Just a thought :) :) :)but you dont see too many natives/residents of the ocean with more than one hull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ::)

saurian
03-05-2006, 08:12 PM
Spuderico, that is because they can not do more than one thing at a time
if you are lucky, i have never heard of canoeabout ,

Grand_Marlin
04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Troy --- you have the best boat in the world, second only to every cat ever built (even the bad ones) ;D ;D ;D

Rob, I dont know how well you know Pete Webster, but you would go a long way to find someone with as much practical experience...
In saying this, every one has their own opinions and their own reasons to support these opinions.... ie there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Obviously when looking for advice you get all the opinions and wiegh up the outcome to suit yourself. The Websters are quite often my starting point when looking for technical / practical information.

Not having a go at you ... just ask you to keep your mind open to what they can offer....

Cheers

Pete

RobK
04-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Troy

Obviously a bit close to home mate. If you want to be the judge of your boat then do it and stop looking for affirmation here. I base your stupidity on a number of posts including your now famous nth qld chop post. There is only one thing I would put in your mouth ########.

Grand Marlin

I don't doubt his knowledge. I said if you believe " everything "he or any other boating magazine states as a statement of fact you are kidding yourself.

Rob

RobK
04-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Troy

seeing you like the two post to make one point I will do the same. Learn how to read you goose!

troy
04-05-2006, 02:04 PM

Rob
I think it is you that should learn how to read.
Troy

RobK
04-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Your wit is astounding. What's next "it takes one to know one". I thought in 54 years you might have progressed past primary school comebacks. In your owqn words you said if you take notice of them you are more stupid then ( your speeling of than) you think. There are a lot of intelligent helpful people on this site. It is people like you who use theses sites for their own agendas who ruin them for others. As i said at the start if you are happy with your boat great. Personally I think they are a first rate vessel but i object to you constantly raising this issue because you feel the need to tell others about it.

troy
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Robk #read what you said and then again read my reply.
I said [ as you said if i take notice of the websters i am more stupid than you think].
Get the facts right Rob and you do not have to remind me of how many intelligent people are on this site.
Anyone can start as many threads as they want and if no one wants to read them they will read someone elses.
If my threads are boring then i do not class that as annoying and i do not comment on anyone else putting up threads even if they had 6 going at once.
This thread was only meant to be taken light hearted and having ago at the cats.
Never once did i mention my boat or any other boat besides asking about hull weights.
As i have said no one forces you to read them.
I might be 54 mate #and in those 54 years i think i have become a pretty good judge of people and will not lower myself to your level.
Start your own thread [Robk v the Websters].
It would not be boring like mine.
Give it a go and it will not be as boring as mine .
Yours Truly
Troy the boring one who needs to be reminded how good his boat is.
Leave it at that mate.

saurian
04-05-2006, 06:59 PM
How , bout the Troy versus Robk.
Sounds like you are both passionate about your boat/issues.
Keep it up ,
By the way past a little cruise craft the other day, it ate that cat rooster
tail yet again.

onerabbit
05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Come on blokes, that 'll do. No need for T versus R.