PDA

View Full Version : Help with a new boat

stickman1981
03-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Gday fellas,
im looking at buying my first boat and as im only a young fella id like your thoughts ont the subject.
Im from NW WA and have done a lot of offshore fishing both deepsea and trolling and now that im heading to townsville im wanting to get into it again . Ive been interested in getting a center console of about 5m but im not sure on the better makes. Ive heared that stessl (now makocraft) are a good option. also if youve got one on the market id like to know...
Thanks

nick1971
03-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Hey hey Stickman,

Have you had alook in the for sale threads. Did you used to go by the name tasty.

Nick.

saurian
03-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Hey stickman, i am ex pat as well .
Take your time choosing new rig , conditions over east are totally
different to w.a.
The further north you are used to the more the difference.( my opinion)
Think townsville will have , pocket-trader( same as quokka)
and also pocket ads... Seems to be plenty rigs in them 2nd hand.
Take your time , go out in other boats before you buy... best luck..

nick1971
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
stick man if you can get hold of the townsville (Bulletin) saturday paper there seems to be a few boats in there that you may like. If you cant let me know and I will endevour to scan the classifieds and send them to you.

When do you look like getting to the Ville.

Nick.

Viking
06-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Polycraft are becoming very popular. Only thing is they are subject to same sort of wear as a fibreglass ie. shouldn't beach them on the sand and fishing line will cut into the poly like it does the fiberglass. I've been in one and find they give a good smooth ride. Personally though i still prefer the aluminium boats and especially now in the larger models that have the new hull designs for a smoother ride and flared bows to deflect spray away. I believe Savage aluminium boats probably have the best aesthetic fit out but like anything i think you get what you pay for.

In the Ville look up Leos marine they will list on their website what boats and motors they deal in.

Cheers mate,
Bruce.

seatime
06-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Viking

Interested in ur comments on the Polycraft, the advertising blurb rates them as 5 times stronger than GRP.

I've looked at these boats seriously and never heard remarks about line cuts and not running up on sand. The comments I've heard are the exact opposite, no probs with running up on boat ramp, scraping rocks, that sort of thing. The only detraction I can find with the poly's is they are a bit too heavy.
Never heard of fishing line cutting into fibreglass either, why would anyone pull a line in over a fibreglass or poly edge anyway.
I may have misunderstood ur post, apologies if I have.
cheers, Steve.

sid_fishes
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
mate, before you buy your boat, go and have a chat to col at fisher boats . you cannot go wrong, he,ll sit down with you and listen and then build it to what you want, you might have to wait a while but hey all good things come to those who wait

seatime
06-05-2006, 06:36 PM
G'day stickman1981,

IMO there is 2 choices for alloy boats, deep V for ride, and a shallow V compromise for inshore, easy planing and stability at rest.
IMO in Nth Q a plate sided boat like a stessl or bluefin would be adequate and cost effective.
Basically, use boats for the purpose they are designed for, pressed and ribbed alloy boats aren't designed to fall off the top of greenies. Where as a properly built plate alloy with a sealed longitudinally braced sectional floor will handle that type of treatment.
But then it's usually down to price, so choose carefully, cause they loose value fast when u try to resell them.
cheers, Steve.

Broome_Fisho
06-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey Stickman,

I live in Broome so you've got a pretty good idea of what the water is like up here, big tides { up tp 9.5 mtrs} and deep swells, bought my boat from Darwin, a SEA JAY 5.8 Haven, centre console, they are made in Qld. We hav'nt had any trouble with her and go 40/50kms off shore no worries, relativly dry and smooth, and a good finish, look them up, think you might like what you see.

Eddy ;)

youngfisho
07-05-2006, 03:19 AM
might i suggest a stinger long boat or similar. #even though they are a little bigger than what you are after at 5.8m they can be powered with similar or less hp than the equivalent 5m alloy hull. and are stable and soft riding. #you can fish offshore in them or up a skinny creek,

there was one for sale on the stinger website but it has since been sold, the site is still worth a look though. www.stingerboats.com.au

they are self draining and are built like the proverbial outhouse ;)

anyway

hope it helps

andrew