PDA

View Full Version : How do I power my electrics?

Sean
06-05-2006, 12:23 AM
I have a punt with a pull start 15hp. I run an 40lb thrust electric off a 110 Ah deep cycle battery. Before I had the petrol engine I ran out of power a few times with the deep cycle so it has made me a little paranoid.
What I want to know is would this battery be sufficient to run the electric motor as well as: Humminbird matrix17 sounder, 2 bilge pumps (live well) and possibly Nav. lights....not all will always be running but there will be times when they will. Will I need to get another battery of some sort or will my deep cycle cope? Thanks guys, Sean :)

catchy_fishy
06-05-2006, 07:44 AM
I have two motors, and one sounder - and I use two batterys - no bilge pumps, no nav lights

Better to be safe - if one goes at least you have a backup

Blackened
06-05-2006, 08:21 AM
G'day sean.
Have you got a charging kit fom your motor? I have on the 9.9 merc and it's brilliant. Just a magneto under the flywheel to a rectifier under the cowel and then 2 wires off of that to the battery. On board I run a bilge pump, full nav lights and a sounder.
Dave

fishn-ads
06-05-2006, 09:37 AM
As stated above go and pick yourself up another battery, it doesn't have to be deep cell or marine as you are not relying on the battery to start the engine. Run your pumps and sounder and nav lights with it. I have just got a little 7 plate 330cca ($50) is does a great job. And you'll always have the deep cell as backup.

Ads

Robbo_Townsville
06-05-2006, 01:11 PM
If you r going to run all that gear plus a electric motor than I would be sure to use a Deep Cycle battery

seatime
06-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Use the deep cycle battery for ur leccy motor and other house uses (sounder,gps,lights,radio). You will kill a small cca battery before long running elecs. A 110 Ah deep cycle would run all ur gear all day and night.
Not sure on the amp draw of ur minn kota, <4 amps maybe + about 1 amp for everything else, should get 24hrs out of them. Don't know if it would be worth charging off OB, it wouldn't work on ur deep cycle if it was gel anyway.
Running all house elecs, I get 72hrs out of a 40Ah gel deep cycle.

Sean
06-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I have the deep cycle. do I need another? Would a normal battery do? Thanks Sean :)

Sean
06-05-2006, 04:59 PM
What size battery do I need just for the sounder, lights and pumps??Sean :)

ahoj
06-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Sean I use 55 Minn Kota and use 2 deep12 v 40amp/h batteries in line I buy secondhand batteries from a wheelchair shop in Kawana Waters ---price 40 amp 30$ bought 4 = $120 and they are holding charge They are relatively small but very efficient.
Performance: 6 hours @ 50% average from 2 batteries and still going.. the best thing about 55 Riptide is that it has a MAXIMISER , which although you drop the voltage and speed it still uses lower voltage to keep going without burning your motor..perhaps you ought to think about the maximiser...... Most wheelchairs batteries are replaced every 12 month compulsory..... nothing wrong with them and new cost 160$ each... had mine for 7 month and still holding charge above 12 v

I hope this helps ---Ahoj

PS My small 5 m cat don't have too much resistance and 55 lb motor pushes it very smartly

ahoj
06-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Sounder does not use much power which I have connected to a separate battery I do not need lights and bilge pump as my unit is fully sealed and i evoid staying on water after dark ( although i have a spot light to connect in emergency)as for Bilge pump and Lights i am affraid you will have to use a charger from your outboard motor... how long does a car battery hold if you put your lights on? and bilge bump can use a lot of power also.... If you have a leaking boat....

Ahoj

seatime
06-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Sean, a normal lead acid or cca battery wont help ur problems. Forget trying to charge deep cycle batts off an OB, do it at home off a 240v smart charger.
If u feel u need a another deep cycle for the house, you'll only need a small one, as I said my 40Ah runs the house for 3 days, but it cost $140.
Ensure u recharge the deep cycle fully b4 boating. cheers

saurian
06-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Ahoj, finally a post not on cats that involves calypso, but third party.
Used to have 100 amp /hr to run elec/motor only , get 24 hr medium speed only , so i think deep cycle and 2nd battery will be all you need Sean.

Sean
07-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Thanks guys....still not entirely sure what to do....another battery I guess? I will sus out the local scooter shop, see what they have cheap. Sean :)

ahoj
07-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Saurian gee i almost forgot ;D ;D

Ahoj