PDA

View Full Version : ETHANOL FUEL FOR 2 STROKES??

rough_shag
06-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Just topped up my fuel tank with 10% ethanol fuel which works great in my car but I am not sure about the boat motor.Does anyone know of any reason NOT to use this fuel in a Johnson 115hp 2 stroke motor?.Any advice would be great.Thanks, Jace.

joey_1987
06-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi, you may want to check your owners manual if you have one. When I bought my 30hp Mariner 2 stroke about 6 months ago that's what I did, and it said DO NOT use fuels with Ethanol in them. I won't ever use fuel with ethanol in my motor, I reckon it would be safer for you not to take the risk. Joey.

budge
06-05-2006, 12:50 PM
The main thing with marine motors regarding ethanol is due to its chemical properties it will be attracted to water, too much water causes a hydrolock in a combustion engine and hence the use of fuel water separators in marine applications. But my view is that a fuel system in a boat/car etc is a closed system therefore water vapours technically should not be able to enter so it shouldnt have that much of an affect. As always its up to your discretion use it dont use it instal a separator whatever tickles your fancy, just dont go for the old school/government conspiracy sh!t that ethanol fuels are a bad thing as they are actually the future of fuels atleast in the short term anyway.

saurian
06-05-2006, 08:18 PM
Budge , sounds like the go what about 4 strokers ??

2iar
06-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Budge , sounds like the go what about 4 strokers ??

My Suzuki is covered under warranty so long as I don't exceed a percentage ethanol ratio. From memory, I think this is 10%, but I'd have to look it up to be sure.

I've never used the stuff, and virtually always go for Premium.

Good luck,
Mike

marco
06-05-2006, 09:48 PM
i work in the industry and to be short about it , e10 is good but dont store it for long as it attracts water / condensation which bonds to the ethanol , then the ethanol becomes denser than the unleaded and separates . if possible use and drain the boat tank in the car , but suppliers are recommending do not use in a water eviroment i hope that helps .

impulse492f
07-05-2006, 10:03 AM
My Suzuki 85 2S Oil Injected manual recommends no more then 10% Ethanol or no more then 5% Methanol.

The opening line reads "Highly recommends you use alcohol-free unleaded whenever possible.

I tend to use Caltex/Ampol.

Feral
07-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Ethanol based fuels are really good at destroying mineral oils, I would not take the risk of running it in a 2 stroke unless the manufacturer recommended it. All of my small motors say not to use it (everything from the whipper snipper through to the 8 Kva generator).

rough_shag
08-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the info boys,I actually rang a couple of outboard mechanics and asked the question.The general consensus was that using 10% ethanol fuel would NOT harm the motor or any rubber components/seals etc however I think it maybe best to stick with premium unleaded.Anyway thanks for the input and tight lines!.Cheers! Jace.

budge
08-05-2006, 01:55 PM
ethanol will not degrage any crude oil product, the reason you may suspect that it is degrading the oil in your two stroke is that ethanol has different lubrication properties than petrol and therefore in extreme cases, (no way near the use of E10 we are talking guys that are mixin E10 or greater with tolulene etc for a higher octane mix) will need some extra lubrication. The main reason for the "do not use ethanol blends" in older model motors is either the manufacturer skimped on cheaper products ie shit plastics etc or they are following the goverment conspiracy that ran for the last few decades in australia oposing the use of ethanol products.

budge
08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Saurian: 4 strokes are even less of a problem with E10 blends, you should be fine. Its up to you if you install a fuel/water separator but personally i wouldnt bother, as stated by marco just dont store it too long in a moist environment and keep the system closed as much as you can in such environments