PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing motor ?

mjc85
21-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Hi i've just ordered a new Trailcraft Profish 4.85m.

I need help deciding between Mercury 75hp 4 Stroke and 75hp Optimax.

Boat will mainly be used for fishing and a little bit of skurfing and towing of a tube.

The dealer thinks the opti would be the best, but i have a 2 stroke on my current boat and they are loud and stinky and smoky.

I want something quiet, smooth, fuel efficient. Does the optimax meet these requirements ? or should i stick with the 4 stroker ?

Blackened
21-04-2006, 07:23 AM
G'day
First things first. 4stroke, optimax and standard 2 stroke are all COMPLETELY different. For your purpose (skiing involved) go the optimax. These engines are a direct injection 2stroke. They are efficient like a 4/ and have similar noise output. In this instance the dealer was right about going for the opti. There's plenty of opti owners out here and I will be on in the future. Just watch out for the etec brigade.. they're shure to jump on the bandwagon soon;) Go to www.mercurymarine.com.au to get all you need on these engines,
Go the opti.
Dave

joey_1987
21-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Hey, yeah I couldn't agree more. Though I love 4 strokes, even though I have a little carby 30hp 2 stroke (makes no sense to spend more than double what the motor is worth when it would take something like 1500 hours before the fuel savings come close to paying off the motor). 4 strokes will be a little bit quieter, a tiny bit more fuel efficient in most cases, but for your intended use, the Optimax would be the way to go. Forget stinky smokey 2 strokes like you know them, DI 2 strokes are among the cleanest running motors around these days because they combust more efficiently, efficient combustion like a 4 stroke, but without the penalty of extra weight and a better torque curve-especially for skiing. I will look at www.boatpoint.com.au later today to check if the optimax 75hp has been reviewed and compared to other DFI 2 strokes and 4 strokes and let you know if it has. Joey.

StevenM
21-04-2006, 08:17 PM
DI 2 stroke for your needs what ever the brand..if its merc well its a opti

mjc85
08-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok just somethings i forgot to mention.

The price difference between the merc 75hp 4 stroke and 75hp optimax is like $150 and i'm not sure which way and the 4 stroke is only 11kg heavier than the optimax, would you still choose the optimax over the 4 stroke knowing this ?