PDA

View Full Version : Boat Rescue

James_Rand
08-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Was down at Colmslie ramp 2 weeks ago and saw a rescue boat bringing in a broken down boat. Was a centre console plate alloy boat. #Whilst bringing the boat into the ramp area, they had the stricken boat tightly tied to the port side of the rescue boat. #After the rescue boat left, it became very obvious to anyone that looked that the entire starboard side of the stricken boat was damaged. #It appeared the hard rubber strips of the rescue boat had pushed the plate alloy in and onto the supporting ribs. #It was very obvious and would have been very disappointing to the owner. #It really would be something you wouldn't notice until you had the boat on the trailer!

Is this the normal way boats are rescued. #Don't they just tow the broken down boat behind anymore?

jr/

p.s. #Maybe the boat already had this damage but it appeared to be only on the one side!

lucylass
08-05-2006, 02:05 PM
its normal practise to tow behind over distance
but once you get into confined spaces taking the boat alongside is easier as you have more control.

but all care should be taken that either vessel isnt damaged obviously

some boat masters have different prefrences
i know there are marine rescue guys on this forum that will also comment 8-)
there are times that directing the broken down boat to safety can be hairy

thats just my view

subzero
08-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Gidday James, it is normally referred to as barging or rafting and like Lucylass was saying is generally only used whilst in areas with restricted manouverability at the end of the tow.
This is also usually in a protected area from the waves which can cause some nasty damage if you tie up alongside while still out in the open. You wouldnt get the pounding of the 2 vessels together or chaffing along the sides if you minimise any dangerous areas by placing fenders etc over the side and tying the boats off not actually abeam of each other but on an angle. I have attached a rough picture that was drawn by my daughter for me a few years back. There are some minor variations to the attachment of the springlines etc, usually determined by the type of vessel, mounting and security of fittings, obstructions etc. (I do not recommend anyone tries to attempt this type of tow without training as serious injurys can occur, usually from idle hands getting crushed etc, apart from the possible damage to the vessels).
I have done 6 or so jobs that required this type of tow, normally into marinas that sort of thing.
We tended to avoid doing it if it wasnt really nessecary as quite often the number of points you can tie off to on a smaller vessel is limited. (Also if you are likely to cause any damage on the vessel you are towing it is likely to be caused to the bollards or cleats by placing to much strain on them. (Usually the older vessels).
I cant speak for what you witnessed, one of the mandatory tests to gain the Skippers test for a Rescue boat was to successfully complete this type of operation on more than one occassion.
Sometimes, their can be good reasons for anything that are not always evident. The first one that popped in to my mind was maybe they tied off the boats together in open water in poor conditions to attempt to transfer people from one vessel to the other without the risk of someone falling between the vessels and getting injured. I do know of one occassion when one of our Rosters risked minor damage to our vessel to get some small children onboard in attrocious conditions. It was deemed by both the Rescue Skipper and the vessel requiring assistance that the children on the boat were at serious risk where they were and needed to be transferred. Our vessel did recieve a broken window as one of the poles on the yaucht pierced the cabin window. It cost the unit $300 to replace it and was worth every cent when the alternative could have been far worse.
Anyway, if the damage was caused by the unit concerned, hopefully they foresaw it and agreed upon the likely hood of this possibly arrising.
Cheers Lloyd

James_Rand
08-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Subzero,

Mate, thanks for one of the best responses to a question I've seen! :)
In the diagram you posted, the boats are only in contact at one point, where some padding/protection is offered. #In this case, the boats were just sitting side by side and looked to be hard up against each other. No padding was evident. #Just the black rubber strips down the side of the rescue boat on that slight angle if you know what I mean.

jr/

MulletMan
08-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey! I taught SUBZERO how to do that!! # #;D

MulletMan
08-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Ooooooooops!

bay_firey
08-05-2006, 07:48 PM
G'day James

We tend to use rafting quite often at Yeppoon, towed behind to just inside the harbour and then we "raft up" as navigation inside the harbour would be impossible otherwise.

We ALWAYS have mooring fenders between our vessel and the craft requiring help

lucylass
08-05-2006, 10:15 PM
what does a girl need to do to get noticed :o