PDA

View Full Version : Getting hit by boats on the water

Astro
08-05-2006, 10:47 PM
Hey

Just wondering if this happens alot on the open ocaean? Fishing boats crashing into other fishing boats?

On sunday it was our 2nd time out in the new boat fishing off the goldcoast, we were out around the 36's fishing when someone in an alloy half cabin smacks into the front of our boat without warning? I think they were drifting? As you do when your fishing we had our backs to the front of the boat but Lucky my bro in law turned around and saw it just in time to push the boat away to minimize the damage, lucky we have a center cab walk around which helped, i guess the damage could have been worse, got a few scratches on the hull and some side rubber damage. They didnt even warn us they were comming towards us or anything and all of a sudden BANG :( . I know they didnt mean it and it wasnt intentional but not happy. I was very suprised this happend, i guess its very tight out there on the water, not much room to move around on :-?

charleville
08-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Dunno - but the law says that an incident report should be lodged.

It was not night time and you had no lights was it?

Angla
08-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Mate, if you get hit every second time you go out, get another hobby.

Really though, Whenever I pull up somewhere I tend to check others out to see if they are anchored up or drifting. I haven't hit anyone yet but I suppose it is on the cards one day.

Hope it doesn't happen again to you.

The other guy was an idiot to let it happen for a start. He should have been watching where he was going.

Angla

Astro
08-05-2006, 11:08 PM
No this wasnt at night, It was on sunday mid day, i dont think it could have been any brighter.

We were anchored up.

This was our 2nd time fishing in our new boat, been offshore fishing since i was 10 and this has never happend nor have i seen this happen.

Angla
08-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Astro,

Charlie is right about the incident report being required to be lodged

Angla

bignick
08-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Typical; they've got the entire Pacific Ocean at their disposal and they have to drift into you. Probably not watching where they were going either. I hit a bloke at Mud Island early one morning when it was that dark you could see about a metre in front of your face. There were other boats anchored up around the place and I was sounding around for a spot to do the same. Next thing, I see a shape in the glow off the nav light and "BANG!" I'd sideswiped this boat that I could not see in the dark. Luckily, they were both big white Tinnies, with both only sustaining paint scratches. The only reason I did not see him (the skipper was on his own) was the fact that it was absolutely pitch black dark, he had no lights on whatsoever and he was asleep on the floor of the boat at the time of impact, however he did wake up fairly swiftly soon after. A couple of sprays of abuse were hurled in both directions and that was that. I've gone on about this sort of thing in the past and it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt (or worse) because they refuse to have lights on whilst fishing in the dark. In those little out of the way places where no other boats go, it's not so bad, but in high boat traffic areas, FFS put some F%*#ING lights on. Just as bad are the blokes who fish at places like Peel Island in 12-foot Tinnies and their only light on at night is a torch at their feet. Sure, they can see what they're doing, but many is the time I've almost dropped right on top of them before I even knew they were there in the dark. You wouldn't drive your car around at night with no lights on, why do the same in a boat?

Cheers,
NICK.

Streetkid
09-05-2006, 01:55 AM
Have been bumped twice both times in the seaway and both times by soft plastic fisho's on the drift not watching where they are going and not one sorry either time just a dirty look.

bin_lookin
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
we were fishing wello the other week at night with lights on and was hit not by a boat but bye bait and sinker .now that is close fishing .we were there about an hour with no one there boats .had some fun giving fasle bites .hahahahahah had hook tyed to grab rail

Blueby
09-05-2006, 03:11 PM
That is truely amazing - its one thing to be hit by a drifter in the seaway but another thing completely to be run into on the 36's - its not exactly the queen st mall that far out even off the goldy.

Had you been anchored long? perhaps you had anchored in his line of drift and he hadnt had time to wind in all his lines - at 36 fathoms that can take awhile. Just cannot understand how it happened - are we missing something????

Spaniard_King
09-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Get ya self a digi camera and takes some picks of them and report them to marine safety. If you have a damaged boat tell them you need there details to send an insurance quote.
The digi pics will help no end

Garry

Astro
09-05-2006, 05:07 PM
ohh we were anchored for about an hour or so, we were the first ones on the spot, but we did notice a few boats poping up but they were very far away.

Maybe they did have their line caught in our rope or something? They had the engine running, maybe he didnt have reverse. There was one driving and one fishing, I didnt find any hooks when i pulled it up the rope but. They didnt say anything except "sorry mate", but there was a huge current, which also made the fishing suck ontop of all that.