PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or wooden pad under the outboard

finga64
09-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Gidday all,
On discussion with Mike (or aka Catchy Fishy) I was wondering who doesn't use the pads under their outboard?? (See picture below. The pad I'm talking about is grey in colour)
I don't really know why the proper reason they're there.
My theory is for protection of the transom from the outboard and maybe also give some shock protection to the transom.
On a painted boat I can also see them limiting the scratching of paint fitting/removing the motor.
They'd also be handy to make a flat mounting surface for the outboard if there is a lip of some description on the top of the engine well ie aluminium mouldings on aluminium boats.
So what's the real reason why they're there and can they be done away with??
Cheers Scott

Blackened
09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
G'day
I have no idea myself but i'd imagine it helps the outboard bite into something on the transom. Also makes shure a level surface is available.
Dave

James_Rand
09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
finga,

Not sure what the grey mat is made of but if it is a hard material, then it would do the same thing as a piece of ply or cutting board material. It's purpose is to spread the load when tightening the bolts on outboard installation. The bracket that holds the motor to the boat would put undue stress to a small area of the transom without such a board. IMHO.

jr/

rojac
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Plastic or non wood.

Had wood which retained moisture and eventually corroded back of trim/tilt unit causing leak = replacement.

cheers

rojac

Nugget
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
It is surprising how much vibration and noise comes from the motor mount.
There is a new product on the market called Vibra-Stop what has a noticable affect on alloy boats with motors over about 100hp.

If you're interested, read this:
http://www.stabicraft.com/index.cfm/press_releases/hush_little_stabi.html

Dave ><>

ahoj
11-05-2006, 11:36 AM
I would say --its to stop damage to transom and slipage of motor Metal to metal don't work well...

Ahoj