PDA

View Full Version : Transom Vs Bow mount minn kota

gogecko
05-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Although Ive been drooling over an auto pilot bow mount leccy ever since I had a fish on Marty's boat, Ive decided that a bow mount isnt practical for my runabout style boat with a windscreen and no step thru. Id be forever climbing over the windscreen to get at the leccy when ever I move spots.

So my question is will a transom mount electric motor give me the same ability to work a river bank and hold against a current? I dont mind constantly adjusting speed and direction, cause all my fishing is done from the back of the boat anyway. Will it hold me in one spot and let me 'hover' , or will I find the current spins the nose around, and this idea is totally useless?

Id appreciate any advice from guys who use transom mounts.

cheers
Andrew

billfisher
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
A transom mount will work OK but its not as efficent as a bow mount. Ie it will require more inputs (ie power and steering adjustments) to keep the boat on course, especially if the wind is pushing the boat around. A transom mount is certainly better than having no electric motor.

Poseidon
05-05-2006, 01:43 PM
I've had the opportunity to use my RT40 transom mount on my tinnie both from the transom and on the bow (spin the head around).
When the motor is on the transom I found it be OK, however you will spend a lot of time in reverse as its easier to keep on track going backwards as mentioned the bow is all over the place in the wind.
With the motor on the bow its easier to keep on track and in my case wasn't in the way and with the extension handle was not too hard to operate.

Regards Cameron.

gogecko
06-05-2006, 08:31 AM
OK, so the boat just moves in reverse, and is travelling upstream on a drift? It just moves backwards, blunt end first? As long as Im in low wind conditions I should be fine, I guess.

So the minn kotas can swivel 180 degrees? At least Im still in forward gear with a choice of 5 speeds?

Andrew

ahoj
06-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Gogeko---- have you tried to entertain yourself with extending your auto pilot cables? and use it from behind your cabin....

Ahoj

ahoj
06-05-2006, 07:46 PM
Your motor will exhaust the batteries very quickly--- going backwards for xmas lol ;D ;D

Ahoj

saurian
06-05-2006, 08:44 PM
GoGecko, bow mount poos on transom mount for hovering .
Listen to Ahoj , cable extension to bow is less hassle than transom
mount where boat swings in wind/current.

gogecko
07-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes, I realise the bow mounts are a better motor, and the control cables are long enough to fit over the windscreen, but wont I have to climb over the windscreen to lift the motor every time I start and stop at a new spot?

I appreciate the input anyway guys. Any other ideas before I buy something?

cheers
Andrew

Feral
07-05-2006, 04:42 PM
No, get a bow motor with compass setting and auto control (footpad) from the back of the boat. Having said that - that type of bow mount is about double the price.

TonyM
07-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Yes, I realise the bow mounts are a better motor, and the control cables are long enough to fit over the windscreen, but wont I have to climb over the windscreen to lift the motor every time I start and stop at a new spot?
I appreciate the input anyway guys. Any other ideas before I buy something?

cheers
Andrew

you're correct Andrew, you would have to climb the screen each time with a minkota bow mount to lower and raise the mnotor - that would be a right pain for sure.

If you are prepared to spend the extra $ a bow mount would be more usable if you added an opening section to your windscreen (like in a bowriders screen), although as mentioned by Billfisher "A transom mount is certainly better than having no electric motor" :)

keen_as_mustard
08-05-2006, 10:16 PM
As long as Im in low wind conditions I should be fine, I guess

Andrew,

Have you forgotten how windy the Gold Coast gets - and besides, everytime another boat goes by the wake will also change the direction of the boat.

Surely a real estate salesman can not only talk his wife into a bow mount electric, but also a more suitable boat to put it on ;D ;D

I know you love your current boat, but an open boat is the only way to go if you are going to fish sp's...in my opinion. Now my wife on the other hand is still trying to fit a canopy to our boat - and she will probably win, but I will make sure it can be removed quickly!

You have definitely shown that fishing is more than a passing interest - I think you should kill two birds and upgrade the boat.

Marty

BTW - I have a beat up 36 pound transom mount MK (came with the boat - I plan to put it on a canoe) - I think the top three speeds work? You are welcome to borrow and test it out.

gogecko
09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Marty, the wife works in real estate too, and shes a tough negotiator. She said I can get a new boat after I buy new carpets for the house, and replace the fencing which is a bit old. Then there was something about reducing the mortgage......I was looking good to sell a few homes this month, until they raised interest rates, lol.

Im planning on a centre consul around 4.8m, which would still let me get outside, so maybe spend about 10k plus bow mount in the next 12 mths.

In the meantime, I can get a second hand transom mount for under $200. I think this is better than nothing.

Id shell out for a bow mount if it was totally remote control raising and lowering, but they just havent invented it yet.

cheers
Andrew

mjc85
09-05-2006, 05:17 PM
You could always invent something yourself :P

Weld an extension off the front of the boat with an eye on the end and run a rope from the cabin to this extension through the eye and tie it just above the prop of the leccy, and another rope on the latch that locks the motor down or up :-/

ahoj
11-05-2006, 12:07 PM
If you are using the Minn- Kota for open sea bow or transom is not going to do you much good unless its on a calm water early morning late afternoon...--- for tidal rivers go with the tide and for dams transom mount is just fine.. comprendo? buy a simple Minn Kota -- riptide 55-- for a boat over 3.8 m..

Ahoj