PDA

View Full Version : Is my boat big enough ?Sthport Seaway

schrammy79
10-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi all, I have a high sided 4m open tinnie with 25hp yamaha, what I would like to know is my boat able to go outside, what tide is best to go out on,what winds and swell should I look out for, as I tried to go out on Sunday 1130am-1215pm but only got as far as the Seaway tower and turned back due to all of the other boat traffic swell and chop,I found that if I idled over the waves my bow would dig into the next wave so I found that I was always chop and changing my throttle to suit the conditions, it was the most concentration I have ever had to exert in any of my previous driving expereinces,it was the outgoing tide.

Burley_Boy
10-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Worst time is when the outgoing tide is in full swing say the 3rd and 4th hour.

Lately you could have gone out in a broccoli box hmm that brings some old memories to mind...

Pick the time and do what you feel comfortable with but time your return with the slack of the tide and you will know that it will be better when you return than when you go out.

BlitzBaga
10-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Schrammy
I have had mates go out in 3.85 Explorers very comfortably, I have never had the guts in mine, I also get sea sick

Cheers
Murray

schrammy79
10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
any more tips??? best ways to approach the seaway ?speed of boat? :o

Gbanger
10-05-2006, 10:48 PM
last saturday mate you could have hit the 36's

gogecko
11-05-2006, 11:22 AM
The boats big enough, but 25 hp is a little underpowered. When you come back in, you need to stay at the same speed as the waves, and that means moving quick. I do it ok in a 4.1m with 40hp.

1- start by fishing the mouth of the seaway, and drifting in and out a couple of times. Practice entering the seaway under different weather and tide conditions.

2- when you are confident, venture out further. I check the weather observations at 3am, and if the wind is below 10kts, and forecast for no higher than 15kts, I can go out at dawn, and return at 11am.

3- make sure you have all the safety gear thats required by law, and get VMR membership in case you get into trouble.

Youll be right, give it a go, but work your way up to these trips. No need to try it all in one day. Were here for a long time, not a good time.

Andrew

Az
11-05-2006, 11:37 AM
good advice,coming back in will be the tricky part, just make sure you come in on the right tide

MulletMan
11-05-2006, 11:42 AM
At the risk of being hammered by the guys, I personally reckon it is madness!
Sure, experienced guys can get away with it but the suggestions here that you "can do it" are plain irresponsible!!!
Try and either go out with another Boatie first a few times or at least take one with you in your boat as a teacher. Better to even trail along with another boat till you get experience!
Any decent training organization that trains on Bar crossings will not normally go out unless the Bar "is up". i.e. Smooth and calm crossings make for a "this is so easy" attitude and then when you come back and find a wall of breakers confronting you, too too late!
For those guys who are going to maul me on this statement, first of all give Seaway Tower a call on 07 5591 2948 and/or AVCG Southport 07 5531 1421 or VMR Southport 07 5532 3417.
Tell them what sort of rig you have and get their opinions first.
There are some members here who could safely take a bread board and egg beater out over the Bar and do it safely.
Be guided not by me but the guys who man the tower and rescue bases and go with their opinion.
But OMG, when I read "you'll be right, give it a go", my bowels really start to rumble!!
OK, I'm ready......................... let 'er rip! # :'( :-/ :-[

joeT
11-05-2006, 12:23 PM
I have to agree with ThePinkPanther, from the sounds of the original post, and with all due respect to the poster, schrammy79 doesn't sound like someone whos taken a boat through any chop, let alone through a bar.

schrammy79, I suggest you suggest you spend some time driving the boat around sheltered waters and get a 'feel' for the boat such as how it handles the bow waves of big boats and perhaps some of the chop in moreton bay. Then take someone experienced with you on your first crossing.

nigelr
11-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Hiya Schrammy.
I have a 4.2 Stessco catcher with a Tohatsu 30.
I have never rolled my boat, but I assure you I had some VERY unpleasant moments while learning what my limitations are. :o
Unpleasant enough for me to make sure I NEVER repeat them!
I NEVER consider attempting a crossing if the swell is larger than 0.6 mtre.
I NEVER consider attempting an outgoing crossing if the tide is running out.
I NEVER return over the bar later than 1 hour past high tide.
I NEVER fish more than 10 km from the river mouth.
I ALWAYS make my outgoing crossing when the tide is incoming and at least 3 hours in.
I ALWAYS study both the weather forecast, and the sand bar formations at the river mouth, before I consider an outing.
I ALWAYS ware a lifejacket when approaching and crossing the bar.
I ALWAYS abhort the outgoing crossing if conditions make me feel in any way less than confident.
There is no doubt in my mind at all that if I get impetuous, stupid, whatever, and ignore these rules, I am going to be VERY sorry!
I have learnt that as long as I stay STRICTLY within these parameters I am able to operate comfortably.
Not as often as I like maybe, but more importantly, IN SAFETY, AND WITHOUT ENDANGERING OTHERS.
You will note my boat is slightly larger and has a 30hp motor.
Also I generally fish alone or with no more than one other person on board.
I would very strongly advise you to consider Pink Panthers' reply.
If you are fortunate to have resources such as the various bodies listed available to you to provide you with information, IMHO, you would do very well to take it!
NO fish is worth any persons life or wellbeing, or boat for that matter, IMHO.
Cheers.

MulletMan
11-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Hats off to you Nigelr!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
As I said, it is all a matter of experience and your well said word of "limitations".
I have seen guys in thirty footers get into all sorts of trouble on the Bars whilst a top operator sails past in his tinnie!

Your post is indicative of responsible and professional Boatie!

I have done 135 South Passage Bar crossings to date in all sorts of boats; a large proportion of them with the smell of faeces in the air - my own! Some have been a walk in the park, others abandoned.
The fact that you ABORT the crossing is a first class attitude.

Takes a bit of guts to tell the boys you are turning back (they think yer yellow!) but sign of a professional recreational Boatie.

Maritime Safety Queensland base many of their rules and legislation on vessels less than 4.8 metres for the reason that is considered a small boat! Doesn't mean it can't be safely operated, just carefully.
[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]

schrammy79
11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
At the risk of being hammered by the guys, I personally reckon it is madness!
Sure, experienced guys can get away with it but the suggestions here that you "can do it" are plain irresponsible!!!
Try and either go out with another Boatie first a few times or at least take one with you in your boat as a teacher. Better to even trail along with another boat till you get experience!
Any decent training organization that trains on Bar crossings will not normally go out unless the Bar "is up". i.e. Smooth and calm crossings make for a "this is so easy" attitude and then when you come back and find a wall of breakers confronting you, too too late!
For those guys who are going to maul me on this statement, first of all give Seaway Tower a call on 07 5591 2948 and/or AVCG Southport 07 5531 1421 or VMR Southport 07 5532 3417.
Tell them what sort of rig you have and get their opinions first.
There are some members here who could safely take a bread board and egg beater out over the Bar and do it safely.
Be guided not by me but the guys who man the tower and rescue bases and go with their opinion.
But OMG, when I read "you'll be right, give it a go", my bowels really start to rumble!!
OK, I'm ready......................... let 'er rip! :'( :-/ :-[

Thankyou to all with your advice it is all taken on board, I will wait until I feel comfortable in crossing the bar safely, I will also try and get my father in law who has heaps of boating/fishing experience to come out with me in my first crossing so I can learn what to look forward and how to handle the ruff stuff, also thanks Pinkpather , Nigler and the gecko your advice is very sound and very informative. Im kicking myself for not going out on the Saturday due to how flat it was but where I was on the Broadwatewr the fishing was great plus I had my wife onboard and didnt want to attempt anything that I wasnt confident in doing with my loved ones on board.

Daniel_Trenfield
11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Yep, take it easy. If you don't feel comfortable, do a 180.

I did a 180 in the brissie river!!!!!! a couple of weeks ago.

We put the life jackets on & decided our boat was too small.

Even with 4kg of pillies & the fish on the chew - It's not worth it.