PDA

View Full Version : Single Vs Twin outboards

Giant1
11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Hi, this is my 1st post,

I have had a look at previous posts along this thread but haven't really found anything that totally satisfy's my query.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of 2 vs 1 motors?

I can see fuel consumption/weight/cost/servicing etc. Despite these, if a twin option is offered surely there must be some advantage.

I know this may seem straight forward to some, but the more i read/look, the more confused i get. Anyone's 2cents worth/opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

PS relating to 685 Outsider or Patriot.

catchy_fishy
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM
If I understand your question, as the simplicity of it alone has caused me some confusion I believe you are asking why would a person have 1 outboard engine, or two outboard engines ?

Would that be right ?

If I've missed the proverbial "boat" my apologies, but here are a few thoughts as to why have two outboards.

1. First and foremost is safety

Should one engine fail you have a reliable way of getting out of trouble, and do not need to revert to safety procedures immediately

2. Distance off shore

Bigger fish further out
Not sure about your regulations but in SA, one may only travel 5nm with 1 engine, with 2 one can travel 15nm. (certain other conditions to go further).

Irrespective of regulations you can safely venture out further with more power.

3. Power / Speed

Ability to turn on/through weather and head home quicker than with 1 engine

4. Fishing

Bigger "bait bubble" from two engines, and one leg can be lifted halfway up while the other is full down to give an even better stream of action in which to troll.

5. Repairs

You have a good refernce guide at home (viz the other motor) if you need to perform repairs to one engine

6. Parts

Parts are interchangeable and while you still end up buying parts for the engine as spares you only need one set at any one time. Hell if the same thing on both engine goes at exactly the same time you could get an entry in Guinness Book of records. (It's probably a bullsh!t excuse but I would add it to the list of pro's anyway)

7. Manouverability

Steering is enhanced by a second motor as acceleration to starboard engine only helps with turning hard, or vice versa. Good for tight turning like running from waves etc if need be

8. Two Batteries

You should wire each engine seperately to it's own battery. All electronics get pulled from one battery only. This is excellent because if one battery goes you also have another battery to jump start from, and recharge while out at sea, or just get you home

Hope it helps.

Maybe others have a few more ideas.

Mike

fatandhappy
12-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Fully agree with Mike.
Its worth noting though as an example that twin 100's won't give you the same output as a single 200hp engine. You will probably need to upsize the dual fit by 15 to 20%, which then means more fuel ... just a thought ..... having said that when off shore and you have problems, nothing is more reassuring than when you start the second engine up to head home .... fatenhappy

Biff
12-05-2006, 07:33 PM
With the boats you speak of, I think the only reason you would have two motors is the saftey factor. Yes - it would be nice to know that you have got a spare motor if one broke down way offshore.

But for performance I don't think two motors has it over one motor in a mono hull's. #Lets face it, you can only go as fast as the conditions that the sea's allow. #It's the size of the boat - not the motor's that determins the speed of the boat in rough condittions.

fatandhappy
12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
just a thought re the safety factor of 2 engines vs one ... you know you can join the volunteer coast guard here in Qld which is akin to being like the RACQ of the sea for a mere $55 a year ... lot cheaper than the outlay of a second engine .... fatenhappy