PDA

View Full Version : Consignment?

joeT
10-05-2006, 05:47 PM
I am moving overseas soon and need to sell my boat. I don't really have time to sell it privately (plus I want to use it until I go) and am considering selling on consignment.

Can someone tell me the ins and outs of selling this way? Any particular dealers recommended?

I have family here that can help me deal with money etc, but I don't really want to burden them with selling my boat privately.

Here's a link to the boat:
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1144462570/13#13

Thebuffalo
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
I would set a mininmum price and then get the rellies to sell it. You will probably still do just as well. The other way is to get a consignor to have a look at it and tell him what you want, minimum, they will tell you straight up if you are dreaming or not in most cases. If you get what you want you will always be happy. Remember a consignor will hang on for the best price to improve his marghine where the rellies will get rid of it cause it will probably give them the Sh%ts

Ocean_Spirit
10-05-2006, 07:07 PM
What do you want for it?

joeT
11-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Do the boat yards take a % cut or do you set a minimum and they take whatever more they can sell it for?

pilchardjones
11-05-2006, 01:04 PM
hi joe,
my brother may be interested in your boat. where are you?
if you are happy to post your phone no. i'll get it to him.
thanks,
steve

joeT
11-05-2006, 03:15 PM
hi joe,
my brother may be interested in your boat. where are you?
if you are happy to post your phone no. i'll get it to him.
thanks,
steve

Located in Eight Mile Plains. Ph 0411 770 904 (may need to try a few times as I'm slack answering the phone ;D). However, can people interested in the boat please PM me or post in the other thread. I want to keep this thread clear for my questions about selling a boat on consignment. :)

Argle
11-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Try John Crawford Marine they seem to have quite a few on consignment there. I think you will find they will take a % of the sale price depending on how much you want for it.

Cheers and beers
Scott

blaze
11-05-2006, 04:28 PM
I once thought I had a handshake deal with a seller to sell a boat. I had told him the figue I wanted in my hand which he then agreed to as he said by the time he put 10% on the price would be in the ball park for a QUICK sale.
A mate dropped in for another reason about a month later and later told me the dealer had put a price on many thousand above the agreed deal (waiting for a sucker buyer),
Went and picked the boat up the next day.
would never do it again
cheers
blaze

bigboy
12-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Give the guys at Qld Powerboats a call. Bought my rig there about 18 months ago and they sold me old rig before the new was finished. Tough not having a boat for a couple of weeks but worth it when they gave me full sale price. Worth considering and happy with their service.

Think its better to let salesmen sell it than stuffing around with all the tyre kickers and time wasters. Done it before but not again...

Sean
12-05-2006, 03:44 PM
I had my boat at Coastal powerboats for a while. they didn't sell my boat but i was very happy with their service. I told him what i wanted and he put his margin on top. He advertised in the trading post, the local paper and trailer boat, all at his cost. W@hen i took the boat back it had not cost me a cent.He just asks for 2 months to give him a good chace to sell it. will find his no. for you. Sean :)

seatime
12-05-2006, 07:03 PM
Sean's deal sounds the best so far. One outfit at Cleveland that I enquired of puts 10% comm on top of what u want.

Sean
12-05-2006, 09:14 PM
07 5571 2960 His name is Keiran. They are in Southport right near Whitworths. on the main road there. Sean :)