PDA

View Full Version : Engine mounting options?

ozkat
12-05-2006, 07:51 PM
I have an early 80s 149 Nova halfcabin with a 70hp Evinrude. id like to remove the outboard well at the rear of the boat to have more room. what options do i have and maybe what costs are involved. the boat was my grandfathers then my fathers (i bought it from my father) its only done a few hundred hours work, maybe as little as 200hrs. i like the idea of a pod and a full height transom but im told cost may be too high for a glass pod and i work in the fibreglass industry, any other ideas on what way i should go? or just leave it as it is? Cheers Ozkat

ozkat
12-05-2006, 07:53 PM
another pic.

Hagar
13-05-2006, 12:06 PM
I would be careful about removing the motor well unless you are prepared to do some internal strengthening of the transom inside the boat . The motor well adds stiffness and strength to the whole transom as a whole . Guys here have done full height transoms before as part of a major rebuild but if you go modifying the transom on an older hull you might not like what you find and the job could snowball ( transom timbers wet , rotted etc ) . Go in with your eyes open if you do it .

Chris

blaze
13-05-2006, 12:42 PM
the well is what creates the strenth in the transom, without the well there is no support for the top of the transom.
An alernative would be to remove the well and then make a centre well that is tied to the floor, I have a simular set up which enables me to wedge myself in the gap between the well and side of the boat.
cheers
blaze
ps
tread carefully with a lot of thought before the cuts as it could cost lots of $ to fix any bad designs