PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Help

Archer
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Guys, :)
The middle (Only actually lol) Roller on my Flat bottom punt was total shot and falling to peices. So no problems i think to my self ill drop in and grab a new one.
Grabbed a new blue all plastic roller assured by the sales man that yes even though it looks abit diffrent it will do the job just fine.
Off i go happy in the knowledge that ive got the correct roller and all is well.
Now after having the boat off for hte past week adding a front cast deck etc i went to put it back on late this afternoon. The boat now dosnt sit correctly at all...
The old roller was a black rubbery ?? type. The new ones the blue plastic type. The back end of the boat is now sitting about 2" above the rear slides. I attempted to raise them and whilst its now abit better its still not good. The boat seems to be sitting tilted forward for some reason. I think the old roller due to it being totally shot the middle "keel" (not really the right word but the centre of the boat) never actually touched the roller and the base of the punt sat on the roller. With the new roller it sits onto this middle section and not the base of the boat...Is this how its meant to be and i just need to raise the rear slides further? Or should the new roller hold the "boat" and not the middle keel bit??
Now ive attached some REALLY bad pics its dark and we all know how reflective Aluminium is when it comes to camera flashes. :o
I will get some more clearer shots in the morning...seen as i dosnt look like ill be racing off to the water first thing. :'(
Any help greatly appreciated. I was hopeing to show shots of the new casting deck and hatches this evening but alas maybe tomorrow. :-/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/roller2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/roller1.jpg

timbacutta
12-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Archer,

The rollers along the centre of the trailer should take all of the weight of the tinnie. The slides at the side are there to stop it rocking on the trailer. Make sure that the keel is the only part touching the centre rollers. If you have only changed 1 of the rollers it might be off a different diameter. If this is the case, you might have to adjust the other keel rollers. Hope this helps.

Jeff.

Archer
12-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff,
Theres only one roller on the trailer so does the above still stand? All the boats weight on the one roller?
Not alot of weight granted its only a 3m Flat bottom punt. :)

Joe

timbacutta
13-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Joe,

Only having one roller should not change the overall principle of the keel rollers taking the weight and the slides to stop it rocking on the trailer. The only suggestion is that if the new roller is a larger diameter, it might have changed the position the boat sits (ie. nose down) in relation to the winch post roller height. I hope this can be of some help.

Jeff.

MulletMan
13-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Also important to make sure that the rear roller is taking the weight correctly.
This is where the motor and all the heavy stuff usually pushes down onto and you don't want to leaping and jumping up and down when trailering.