PDA

View Full Version : Boat ramp ettiquette card; what would it say?

rick_k
13-05-2006, 09:13 AM
been thinking about a leaflet to give to people who do, er, inconsiderate, things at ramps.

Thought it might be better to just offer it to the 'offender' with a smile and 'Could you look at this when you have time', rather than getting them on the defensive with a face to face suggestion on the spot.

Won't change the genuine mongrels, but might help the ignorant/inexperienced.

I was thinking of including;

Don't get your boat ready on the ramp or at the top of the ramp
Don't park your car in the rigging zone
Leave your safety chain on until just before you launch and put it back on before driving up the ramp.
Start your boat at home with muffs or a tub if you haven't used it for a while.
Try to get your boat away from the bottom of the ramp as soon as you can; if it won't start, move it down the beach a bit and muck around there; be careful not to drop tools etc into the drink.
Shopping centre car parks on a quiet day are good places to learn to reverse and practice same.
Think about whether you are queue jumping.
If someone is having trouble, and you can do it safely, give them a hand.

Waste of time?

Is there something out there already?

Any additions?

wayne_cook
13-05-2006, 09:31 AM
don,t forget bungs are better installed before launching.
Don,t think it would work I'm sure some of the people I,ve seen at ramps carn't read.
Recently seen a guy bogged putting his boat in on low tide.Dragged him out before he lost his car.

blaze
13-05-2006, 09:33 AM
We have a coucil supplied sign simular to what you are suggesting at the ramp, maybe a better approached than become personly invovled as it may place you in harms way. Maybe you can also offer assistanse to people that seem to be having difficulty, hold there boat or whatever. Suprising how the person you help today will be the person that offers someone else a hand down the track. Wont matter what you do and say to some people, they will still be pricks
cheers
blaze

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-05-2006, 09:44 AM
i believe it was said by a fisherman or was he a carpenter who like to hang out with fisherman ?? .... or was it reported by a fisherman that he heard a carpenter say ?? :-?.... anyway,

"Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

Luke 6:31

I'm not a church goer but its a good rule for life & boat ramps.

chris

backhoe
13-05-2006, 10:06 AM
"Paying your registration gives you a right to use the ramp, it doesn't mean you own it"

One of my pet hates is the bloke with the canoe or car-topper (that hasn't paid registration and therefore doesn't have a legal right to use the ramp anyway) who unloads his boat into the middle of the ramp and then proceeds to load the boat for the next 15 minutes when there is a perfectly good beach next to the ramp where his boat could be siting when he does this and leave the ramp free.

WOuld never want to see these people forced away from using ramps as I think no-one should be discouraged from fishing/boating but htey maybe should show a bit more consideration and think a bit more.

The other one that gets me is the guy in the car with no boat on who thinks it is OK to park in the rrigging area of the ramp (or sometimes on the ramp) and sit there and watch boats being loaded and unloaded all the time making the task more difficult by his actions.

It's sad that in todays society you can't just go up to these people and tell them what they are doing wrong for fear of what you might get in return i.e. car trashed, trailer stolen or worse.

TheSaint
13-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Rule 234:

Don't pull out into 80km zone doing maybe 5kms with your boat on the back & nearly causing major car accident!!

then pull up to the ramp & ask the same person aka me "my boat is ready to go, so i'll put into before you ok?"

"how's F#%k YOU sound!? Your the bastard who cut me off!"

"You could of changed lanes!"

"what into cars??"

MulletMan
13-05-2006, 11:46 AM
# # PISS ORF!
I WAS HERE FIRST!

ahoj
13-05-2006, 11:55 AM
LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AND WOO HIM AND WHENEVER YOU CAN DOO HIM :-[ :-[

aHOJ

charleville
13-05-2006, 11:56 AM
1. Keep children away from the ramp. Beginnners back trailers here.

2. No swimming on the beach right beside the ramp. That is where boats are parked whilst the skippers go and get/park the car and trailer.

3. All onlookers, especially those walking their dogs, stay off the ramp.

Lone_Wolf
13-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Some boaties are better at it than others. Maybe this comes about through experience or just their ability to move faster. Maybe there is the "kids in tow" factor as well, which definitely slows down the exercise. There are also some with just a bad attitude to the whole idea of cooperation on a public boat ramp.

It will never happen but if we all had the attitude of getting in and assisting the guy to get out or in of the water asap so he could move on instead of sitting back and cursing #>:(, glaring >:( and stewing, well maybe the boat ramp exercise would be more efficient.

It is a public boat ramp and for that reason we all will be subjected to a variety of ways to launch and retrieve a boat. Some techniques we may not agree with. Positive feedback and communication will always improve a situation.

Assist where you can, "PLAY IT FORWARD", I believe is the phrase. #

redspeckle
13-05-2006, 04:39 PM
The thing >:( me is Boaties the dont have the right boat trailer for their boats struggling for age to put the boat on and maitan their trailer as well especially the winch part
Also people don't turn off their main head lights off try reversing back down ramp and the cars headlights are glaring in the mirrors
Boaties use the setdown or prep area to get boat ready to go in the water or ready to go home instead of useing the actual boat ramp
Mitch

banshee
13-05-2006, 05:55 PM
Got to agree Mitch,people who don't turn their headlights off while on the ramp pre dawn realy piss me off too.