PDA

View Full Version : boat licience

Seahorse
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
whats the go for someone else driving ur boat if you are aboard. is it ok? is it like learning to drive a car? do they need some type of learners?
iam asking cause there are times when i would like the other half to drive the boat and me have a rest

thanks
greg

longtail
04-05-2006, 04:32 PM
anyone can drive your boat so long as 1/ a licensed driver(who is under the limit) is onboard. 2/ they are 16yrs or older. 3/ they are also under the limit.

hope this helps.

cheers
jason

2iar
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Yep, what longtail said.

You've also got to be in a position to take the controls immediately if requuired (eg not asleep in the cabin, waterskiing behind the boat etc).

Good luck,
Mike

Seahorse
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks. now i can have a bit of a rest and she can drive

seatime
04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Unlicensed drivers can't tow anyone skiing either, even under supervision.

ibbo
04-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Make sure you dont get out of the boat to back the trailer down and leave your other half in control of the boat.

Have seen people get done this way by police.

Hows the boat hunting going sounds like you got one.

Ibbo

lucylass
06-05-2006, 09:17 PM
in nsw

if you drive a boat fster than 10knots you need to have a license
it doesnt matter who is with you

So in NSW if you want your wife to drive your speed boat while you take a well earned rest....

she needs to have a license

young licenses are a bit different
but you can check the maritime hand book online

its all in the speed 8-)

saurian
06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
Your not guilty till you get caught.

lucylass
06-05-2006, 10:04 PM
:o ::)

um yes but i wanted to the right rules in print

gunnabuild1
06-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Mate cant talk for the other states but in qld as long as the licenced driver can take the controls but like the other posters said under the limit and no skiing

Ron173
14-05-2006, 01:03 PM
In NSW, its governed by the speed of the boat, not the size nor horsepower but the speed its driven at.

It MUST NOT be driven above 10knots (average planing speed) by anyone without a licence.

Over 16 and under the alchohol limit also apply.

Only exception is if holding a junior boat licence, available at 12yrs old, must have full licence onboard and not over 20knots.

This is good for us as daughter can be observer whilst mum skies.

So basically, your mrs can drive, but not on plane, you need to be there, and niether over limit.

I include a link to the RULES page, I dont make em, just have to live by em!

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/licence.html#types

Hope this helps

Rgds

Ron