PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm worried..

Horrie
13-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Bought my first boat 2 months ago. A 3.75 Horizon Angler built 18 months ago..
Came back in today and couldn't believe the amount of water coming out of the bungs as I was coming up the ramp. :'( :'( :'(
It happened last week as well. I put new bungs in when I bought the boat (call me a worry wart) so they are still in good nick.
Hopefully the dealer will look after me with this one.
Being a newbie boatie, I'll have to throw myself at their mercy... :-[ :-[

Hoorie

timddo
13-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Mate, i once had a 4 meter dingy and was screwing the bungs as tight as i could. but that just caused it to take in water. You mite be screwing your bungs to tight.
best way to test is flood your boat on the trailer and look for the leaks.

The_Walrus
13-05-2006, 09:43 PM
It can be surprising how much water you'll get in a boat when anything other than smooth conditions.

To check for leaks, at home, with your boat nice and dry on the trailer put in the bungs and put the hose in. Don't overdo the amount of water you put in :)

If there's leaks in the bottom, you should be able to pinpoint them.

If your boat has a floor, I also suggest you remove it and make certain there are no old hooks and or sinkers in the bottom. These can react with the alluminium and create holes.

Let us know how you get on

Luc

Biff
13-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Not sure if your saying the bungs are in and water is coming out or after you pulled the bungs lots of water is comimg out. If you have the bungs in and water is comimg out yes you have a prob, they wern't fitted right.
I have a small tinnie aswell and I to was taking on water some how, check the whole boat out no holes no nothing. All it was, when Iwas coming off the plane and coming to a fast stop water was coming over the back of the boat were the motor sits in the dip, more so when two of us sat at the back and came off the plane.

Biff

bushbeachboy
14-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Does your boat tip up steeply at the front when launching? If so, you could be getting some water over the back on launch. If you have a floor you'll tend not to notice it until later. I have a mate who had a similar problem with his tinny, and we solved the problem by reversing down the ramp a bit further, enabling the back of the boat to float off the trailer, and no splash over the transom. This has the potential to cause other problems down the track with trailer rust, because we are putting it in the salt water up to the height of the top of the wheel. No problems so far in 2 years, but the trailer gets a thorough wash down after every trip, and Lanox sprayed around and in it as well.
Cheers
Craig

Horrie
14-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Many thanks to all who responded to my message.
Your suggestions and reasons sound quite possible.
I am going to check it out when we go out again.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks again.
Horrie

PS. Maybe I have found a downside to having a fixed floor in the boat. :-?

griz066
14-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Just check the bungs are the right thread there are about 3 different types.
I had the wrong thread bung in the bottom hole of my boat and hull would have 2 buckets of water in it after a days fishing.
A change of bungs and no more water.

flatstrap
14-05-2006, 02:27 PM
It's been suggested before that you put some water INTO your boat,, plus a touch of food colouring and presto,,, source of leak found.

Cheers...flatstrap

wessel
14-05-2006, 07:28 PM
Food colouring and water works.

Remember that your trailer has a load rating, dont overdo things when you fill your boat up with water while it is sitting on dry land.

You can also try the blue powder that is used with chalk lines. Dip a soft rag in the powder and give the hull a very light dusting on the outside. The powder changes colour when it comes in contact with water. Thid is exactly how I found three hairline cracks in my fiberglass boat.

Wess

Cheech
14-05-2006, 07:52 PM
I think that is pretty normal. In both my current boat and my old tinnie I have maybe one in 6 trips where I take water and the others not a drop. Buggered if I know why, but I think it has to be coming through the bungs some how.

blaze
14-05-2006, 08:26 PM
if you think the bung seal is leaking replace the hard nylon type seal with a common rubber o'ring, you only need to just screw in finger tight so the o'ring just contacts.
cheers
blaze

angler
14-05-2006, 08:39 PM
put the hose on the bungs with plenty of pressure and if the bungs are leaking you should see water coming through the bungs thats how i found mine ,also the pop rivets were hollow which allowed water to come through.
john