PDA

View Full Version : 60HP ETEC not going

ericvontrap
21-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Has anybody had a 60etec outboard? And have you had any problems with it? I have one which is a month old, has had 2 trips out and broke down on both of them. Both times the motor has go into SLOW mode and I have limped home. I have had it to the dealer and even he is having trouble fixing it. I am beginning to think I have got a lemon. Any advise or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :'( Eric

Spaniard_King
21-03-2006, 03:32 PM
If your engine has gone into slow the Etec ECU would have stored a service code. Does the dealer you take it to have the proper software and cable to access the ecu to determin the fault :-/ I would be asking him. Then ask him for the QLD service managers phone number and start dialing.

Garry

Fishin_Dan
21-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Have a caht to the guys at River City Marine at Brekky Creek. They're the guns of Evinrude, and really nice guys to boot.

madman1
21-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Ditto to Dan.

Dean at RCM is the gun.

CHeers

Mark

StevenM
21-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Help your self, if its going into limp mode I would think that you should have a alarm going off and that one of the five lights on the Tacho would be lit up....More info please

Cheers

Steven

Seahorse
21-03-2006, 07:27 PM
correct me if iam wrong but this isnt the first time i have heard adverse things about the etec.

toymod
22-03-2006, 10:09 AM
and your point is seahorse??

ericvontrap
22-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi guys, Yep lights and alarms were going off which shows and oil problem. So far the mechanic has replaced the oil pump and bottle and has just replaced the ecu and it still won't pump oil. My mechanic has been talking to the service manager and is being stuffed around by him. I think its time to write a letter and take some more action. I just hope I can get some results.

unhappyseajaybuyer
22-03-2006, 10:59 AM
if u can prove it was defective out of factory u have a right to refund or exchange according to consumer affairs get advice in your state at consumeraffairs .qld

darrmun
22-03-2006, 01:44 PM
best advice is to bolt on a yamaha

Sportfish_5
22-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Eric - that problem has occurred in a few ETEC 90s. Stay with the ETEC - I dont own one but I dont think they are lemons. There is a factroy fix for the oil system and an upgrade to the ECM that needs to be done too. Sounds more like you need to talk with BRP direct if the dealer is not giving you satisfaction.

Fellow from my work had the same problem with his 90 when brand new and took a couple of weeks for them to nut it out but he is now wrapped in the performance of the ETEC. It has been trouble free since then.

Cheers

Greg

kitty_cat
22-03-2006, 03:04 PM
should of brought a 4 stroke

nodjule
22-03-2006, 04:58 PM
best advice is to bolt on a yamaha

I'll second that.........

StevenM
22-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Eric

oil probs, so was it low oil or no oil light comming on?

who is the dealer you got it from?

did you try switching the engine off then restarting it and getting the revs over approx 2000rpm??

cheers

steven

peter
22-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I tell you what, don't judge the motor on the dealers workmanship. Sure, than can be problems with any new motor. I can give you stories about any type (even Yamaha) that have problems when new.
Don't forget these mechanics have to learn about a new product as well. And to be truthful there are some mechanics that will never learn. Good and bad in everything.

I agree with the earlier comments about River City Marine. I had trouble with my dealer and went to River City for piece of mind when asking about my set up. They were great.

I know its frustrating but stick with it and you will not regret it when she is going sweet.

peter

toymod
23-03-2006, 12:04 PM
yamaha, like they have no problems....what a joke ;D..............you will be happy with the etec just listen to the advice above.

Mr__Bean
23-03-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't recall the full story, but from previous reports from guys with the 90's that presented a similar problem it turned out to be over sensitive sensors for the oil supply (or similar).

Once the sensors were addressed and the ECM updated to prevent spurious warnings theirs seem to be running fine.

You may find yours is the same, good luck.

- Darren
#(Yammy owner)

waykel
30-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Hi All
Have been reading this post with interest about E-Tec, dealer, mechanic probs. I know its off the track of the 60 hp but some of the comments about dealers, service and mechanics makes me want to tell my story.
I have a 200 HO E-TEC fitted to a Freedom Seasport 640, that I purchased in Dec 05.I ran this motor untill 26th Jan with no problems except a overtemp alarm going off when I would hit the throttle to get it on the plane, coming out of a 4 knot zone. I say no problems untill 26th Jan because thats when it seized up at 3000rpm without any warning whatsoever. At this stage I questioned myself about my purchase or did I get a lemon?. Anyhow, Took to My local dealer and a new fully dressed powerhead was shipped from the states to us in 5 working days.This was fitted and thats where it gets interesting. On the test run, with the mechanic driving, it overtemped going up onto the plane from slow running. Run it for another hour and could not reciprecate the alarm. The dealer could not fit me in for another week to have a look at it as they were booked up and all BRP Warranty diagnostic work is not paid for unless it is an extreme case, so the dealer will do his paid work before he will look at you, which can be frustrating.To cut this story short, since then I have been back to the dealer 7 times with two problems Overtemp Alarm and No Oil Alarm. I have made a number of calls to the BRP Tech who is the case manager for my engine and voiced my opinion about the dealer. The boat is now at another dealer, who said that maybe the oil pump failed due to the way it was primed when the new power head was fitted. He also said most E-Tecs probs come from the fit up and assures me mine will be trouble free shortly. The point of my message is this. The first motor failed due to a mechanical fault. The second problems have been continous due to the fact that the mechanic is learning and like someone else said , some can't be taught. The dealer also runs Honda and Tab boats and everthing else that blows in so the mechanic is flat strap. Its been 10 weeks that my boat has been not going properly, But a phone call to BRP to tell them I am desperate, they put me onto a dealer that tells me its a little problem that can be sorted out in a day or so makes you wonder what sort of show Brp is running. But after all this, if this engine is fixed from the alarm probs and runs the way it does when It was running correctly, I am a happy customer because it is awsome on the back of the boat. If it continues to have problems BRP and me will be goin to court !!! [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif]
Cheers
Waykel

RobSee
30-03-2006, 10:41 PM
waykel,

Looking at the size of you - If I was the dealer, I'd have it fixed up quick smart ;)

bassfanatic5
31-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Hi all i had an oil problem with my 50 etec, the pulse from the oil pump was not being picked up by the ECM so the alarms and lights would go off and it would go into slow mode. It took a while for my dealer to find the problem but he did eventually. My mates have since had the same problem with a range of engine sizes but it is a very fast fix, he just plugs the laptop in and makes a few adjustments.
I ran the 50 for 18 months without another problem and then upgraded to a 60 etec. Now i am wanting to go faster i have ordred a new boat and a 200ho etec. I know full well that there can be little glitches with new tecnology but the fuel savings and power outweigh this when they are sorted out. If anyone can truely say brand x,y or z doesn't have teething problems with their new motors, take your blinkers and earmuffs off and look and listen to other people on the water, all brands have had one problem or another.

Oh and the reason i like etecs, BLUE is my favorite colour.

waykel
15-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Here is an update to my 200 ho E-Tec dramas. After taking it to a differant mechanic, after 2 days he rings me up and says its ready to go. Went up and picked it up and water tested it. The thing has not had a problem at all since this was done the week before easter 8-). But, another one has seized up with no warning, that had 80 hrs on it. It was a 250,90 degree V6, which is the same motor as my 200. That makes 3,90 degree V6 engines that I know of seizing up with no warning. I hope my second one doesn't let go. :-?
Cheers
Wayne

dave22
15-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Waykel I feel for ya mate, I hope your not talking of 3 local motors going down in your neck of the

woods, because if so, you must be almost waiting for the sky to fall again, HUGE investment and to be

having these problems at year 3 or 4 is inexcusable, let alone in year 1. All I can say is that you've

put the wind up me on the ETEC, was thinking seriously about one for next boat, not no more....