PDA

View Full Version : transom raising or jackplating

nuffy
12-05-2006, 06:01 PM
hello all just after info regarding my earlier post "haines 19c dramas"looking at a later model motor that has a 25'leg as opposed to the 20'leg i had on my previous motor.I have qoutes of around $12-$1500 to raise the transom. jackplating may be cheaper i dont know, has anyone any experience on this matter, im looking at a 2nd hand 135 offshore merc<99> that has done little work replacing the 140 2 stroke suzuki<93>that was underpowered. ive been told the v6 of the merc should give me more power out the hole than the v4 140 suzuki but topend would be the same.Your thoughts as always appreciated.Tony.

Thebuffalo
12-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Tony, Moby marine sent me a letter with a Jackplate article in it. It is called a transom setback bracket and retails for $660 and is made for a XL leg. Quotes a 10% fuel saving and a few other goodies. 0291536506. Looks pretty solid and would do the trick I would think. Have a look and see it will be cheaper and I would think you could sort it yourself.

Good Luck

Thebuffalo.

nuffy
13-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks buffalo i will give them a call.Tony.

SO70
13-05-2006, 10:26 PM
135HP would be a tad little on a v19c.
i know of a 6m Cruisecraft that had a 135HP Mariner.
the owner upgraded to a second hand 200hp Yamaha.
the Yamaha actually uses less fuel than the Mariner.
it is merely ticking over compared to the Mariner which was getting worked all the time.
its also common for dealers to use an aluminium plate about 1 inch thick to get the extra height needed to mount an extra long motor on a standard long (20 inch) transom.
its quick easy and effective.
doesn't look the best but it works.
dealers do it like this because some outboards only come in 25 inch.

mcgilld
14-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey Nuffy - i might not have explained myself properly when this first came up.
SO70 is talking about what I call a 'jackplate' - a piece of Aluminium cut to size
Sounds like Buffalo's talking about an 'off-the-shelf' version for the $660.
The original 'jackplate' is one that can be adjusted whilst running - used on race boats (obviously not what we're interested in).
Any more experiences with transom raising out there??

As for your 135 - the V19C is 880kg (without motor, fuel, batteries, gear, people etc.) I'd go for nothing less than a V6 150hp if you're going to load it up a bit.

cheers
Dave

nuffy
16-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah thanks Dave and so70 i dont seem to be getting anywhere with this so im going to try and advertise the haines without the motor and see what happens.My mechanic says i may be surprised at the interest i get in it.Weve our first born on the way in 5 weeks so i cant really afford to be spending up big at the present time, just may have to go back to a small tinny and go out with jon gooding every now and then to get my outside fix.Thanks for your help.Tony

litenup
16-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Nuffy send me a PM, I could be interested in the 19C, cheers Pete