PDA

View Full Version : Boat steering

Nugget
16-05-2006, 09:26 AM
The new Stabi-Craft comes with standard cable steering - seems to work well.
While I've driven plenty of boats with hydrolic steering, I've never owned one with it but am considering it for the new boat.
The lack of pull through the wheel with hydrolic feels good - zero feedback it's sometimes called.
And they seem to have fewer problems with sticking or siezing.

Does anyone have any experience with hydrolic and what brands / models would you recommend.

Dave ><>

Darryl
16-05-2006, 09:40 AM
If it were me i wouldn't be going past a hydrive setup Dave. Only thing to watch is there reseal kits. These are only o rings that are available in any servo or hardware but Hydrive want 80 bucks for there "reseal kits".

blaze
16-05-2006, 11:06 AM
biggest advantage I have found is you can set a course and let go the helm and it will still track true, a real plus when fishing alone
cheers
blaze

PADDLES
16-05-2006, 01:07 PM
hydraulic steering = awesome

i'd recomend it to anyone with a big boat with a big motor, it's great. there's no feedback whatsoever and like blaze says you can let go the wheel to grab something else and it just keeps going straight. it makes a long run in a boat an absolute pleasure with very little steering effort.

Blue_Escape
16-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Nugget,
if cost isn't an option go Hydraulic. However if you are trying to save a bit...to pay for fuel! ;) Have a look at the Teleflex NFB (non- feedback) cable steering. I couldn't justify the cost of Hyraulic on my 4.5m SeaJay but wanted the "hands free" advantage. The NFB has a clutch system that eliminates any torque reaction from the motor - the motor will not move unless you turn the wheel. Leaves the hands free to eat, rig up etc. while moving between fishing spots! At about 1/4 the cost of hydraulic IMO it's fantastic.
Cheers
Blue

charleville
16-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Have only owned one boat (4 years) but took advice to get hydraulic steering on that on a 60hp motor.

My mate told me how he used tohave to lean into the wheel to turn his 115hp motor sometimes. #I drive mine with literally fingertip control often when I sit back and relax at the helm. #Also have been known to make it drive itself in circles whilst I was down the back trying to retrieve a cap out of the water on each circle.

Could not imagine getting a ripper rig like yours ( which I had a squizz at one at Leisure Marine on Saturday) #without hydraulic steering. #

Mine was a $750 extra on the boat when i bought it new 4 1/2 years ago. #Would have no qualms about spending that moolah again.

banshee
16-05-2006, 08:03 PM
I bought hydraulic steering about four years ago and couldn't be happier,I ended up going with a Hydrive. In the final wash up I narrowed my choices down to the Bull Horn setup or the OB Kit 5 front mount,both had their merrits,the bull horn had a higher HP rating and needed less room in the well to opperate, although the front mount needed more room in the well for the rod to travel it seemed a lot more compact and less cumbersome with regards to the hoses, the hoses are stationary in the front mount because the ram is bolted to the motor and the steering rod passes through it where as in the bullhorn they slide from side to side with the ram because it travels on the rod between the horns,both came as ballanced set ups,that is they turned an equal number of turns from centre,as opposed to the side mount that turned three turns one way and two the other.All Hydrive units can accomodate the high vollume helm pump for an extra fifty bucks or so(have to specify on ordering),this will cut the number of turns from lock to lock by about half,the trade off is steering that is a bit heavier than the standard helm pump but nothing like a cable setup,the high vollume pump makes it easier to manouver the boat in tight situations like driving onto the trailer etc.I ended up going the front mount for my 115 merc and as I said before I couldn't be happier,I also thought about Sea Star/Bay Star but couldn't find any units to look at in the flesh.

Spaniard_King
16-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi Dave,

been around a few comercial rigs for a long time now and the Hynautic ram with a seastar helm is very reliable compact and robust.

The seastar ram has also come along way and is not a bad option either

Garry

wethooters
17-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Hydrive (and Raymarine S1000 autopilot if finances permit). # You will love it if you travel long distances. ;)

Nugget
17-05-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all the input.
I do fish a lot by myself so I think I'll go with hydraulic.

I'll start looking at models / brands when I get back from Fraser.

Dave ><>