PDA

View Full Version : importing sea ray sundancer 240 from US of A

skeet182
16-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi All

I have been investigating importing a boat for a while, hopefully it will be cheaper than buying the same boat here.
The boat I am looking at is a 240 sundancer, around 1998-2000, with a trailer.

From what i can tell they retail anywhere between 25k-35k US.

So if I can get one in reasonable condition on the cheaper end of the scale, say 30-40k AU dollars.
What other costs are involved in getting it here, I have read a few threads on this forum about this and the average seems to be 15k ?

say 30k for the boat, 15k for other costs = 45k.

here they are about 69k i believe. Please correct me if my costings are wrong.
Shipping costs, customs brokerage costs, GST etc.

Can anyone give me any advice on importing a boat ? Experiences, costs and gotchas ?

Hoges
16-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Hi Skeet182 and welcome to Ausfish.

I remember a couple of threads in which members were importing the type of boat you are after and I am sure they will respond in due course. Sorry but have forgotten who they were.

Enjoy the forum and Good Luck with the boat hunting!

Cheers

Pete ;)

mirage
17-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Skeet,

I had a serious look at importing a 22 foot Trophy Walk Around a few months ago. It was 5 years old, Mercury 140 2stk fitted and was about AUD$30,000 at the time. The best quote I got from a broker was approx AUD$18,000 for ALL shipping costs, excluding getting it to the port at Longbeach CA. Total AUD$48,000

In the end I decided it just wasn't worth it. In my case I would have ended up with a 5 year old boat, that I hadn't seen, although I was going to get an inspection done on it, with a motor I didn't really want and uncertain warranty.

So for about 10K more I bought a brand new Freedom Seasport, with Suzuki 175 4stk, all the warranties and no hassles.

That's just my experience on the matter. You might find for a different make and style of boat it may be worth it.

Good luck, Scotty.

MulletMan
17-05-2006, 01:41 PM
Friend of mine imported a vessel similar to the one you are talking about from Canada.
Great buy 'cept for the rotted out transom and floor!
Really risky business I reckon and many spares are often different to the local market!
Been there dun that to the tune of $4000 for OMC bits 'n pieces.
The Customs boys will ensure there is not much change left after they have finished with you.
They will value it on what they think it is worth and not what you bought it for! This valuation is usually made on the Australian price and not the overseas one!

skeet182
17-05-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks for the replies.
I am investigating it at the moment, and will be ready to buy closer to the end of the year.

That is the scary part, the fact that you are not sure what you are getting.
If I got seriously involved in bringing one in, I would pay for a professional inspection on the vessel.

I could probably justify 50k to the missus, but would struggle to justify 70k (actually that would be impossible)
I get a super deal on a similar boat (bargain of the century type deal) or change my requirements, the buying one here doesnt look good for the money. But thats where your comments are helpful to me, and I have been told to check out the people that import these craft in australian magazine advertisments as well.

Maybe i can get one cheaper than buying in oz through them, and not have to stress so much ? Has anyone had any experience with the boat importers in the magazines ?

My friend had a really bad experience purchasing one from japan ( a bayliner actually) and it has cost them 50k in repairs, so there are definately dangers out there!

boatboy50
17-05-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey,

Hi mate. I have just had my second boat arive from the states last week, a Seaswirl Striper 23' Walkaround.

The boats have to be absolute bargains to make it worthwhile. Shipping for my 23' cost around 22k including GST and everything, with the windscreen and hardtop removed for smaller shipping size. My first same size boat around 18months ago cost under 15K for shipping, so the prices are rising rapidly. This boat was brought in on a cradle, as the US trailers can cause many problems of their own. This boat arrived only a week ago, and my shipper has told me the shipping has since gone up 18%.

The 10% GST is based on the purchase price and the cost of shipping, it is NOT estimated. If you buy from Florida you will be exempt on paying US taxes. There is no other duties or taxes to be paid.

Your 25K US 24 foot Sundancer will easily owe you around 65-70k OZ when it arrives here. Not worth for that style of boat. It only becomes worthwhile if the boat is an extreme bargain, or there is nothing like it available here, which is not your case.

For that boat look elsewhere, but if you insist, see Tim at www.wholesalemarine.com.au, or call Cheryl at Shiprite in Brisbane on 3868 4474.

Japan has cheap boats, but allow heaps of money to rebuild motors and all electronics on the boat.

Regards

Darren