PDA

View Full Version : Getting a boat inspected before purchasing?

Herm
15-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice! #We are off to look at a "potential" boat to buy this afternoon and am keen to have an inspection done on it, just incase of any problems!

Does anyone have any recommendations of where to have this done? #The boat is at Forest Lake.

Thanks
Herm

longtail
15-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Hi Janine

what sort of boat/outboard?

i'm sure some of the members here could give you an opinion on value etc.

cheers
jason

blaze
15-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Give pete (grand-marlin) a pm, dont know if he does this but his opinion would be worthy
cheers
blaze

shayned
15-05-2006, 05:53 PM
This is a thought I had a while back and wonder what your opinions would be. On the odd occasion I run into people from VMR and I know they have to always chase funding, I wonder if they could set up a boat inspection service not unlike RACQ does for cars and use the profit to help fund their service?

Herm
15-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Well, I should have known that once hubby looked at this boat that would be it! :D

See what joining up here has done! :)

Jason: #After your post about the boat you were looking at and your request for opinions on what was being asked for it, I am a bit scared to mention the price at this point!

It is a 2 1/2 year old Stessco Hussar 4.75m with a 60hp Mercury 2 stroke (with 43 hours on the motor) #It is in as new condition barring a couple of little scratches. #Seating Capacity 5 #Overall Length 4980 mm (16' 4") Beam 2260 mm (7' 5"), 2 pedastal seats and 1 rear bench seat with back rest, Navman Fish finder, GPS, 27 Meg radio, Safety gear, Underfloor fuel tanks with deck fill and guage, Positive floatation
Full length carpet, Side pockets, Bimini top, Split bow rails, Bowsprit with roller, Anchor well, Boarding platform with rails and ladder, and bilge pump.

We are organising to have it inspected and thought that we may as well have it serviced at the same time.

Blaze: thanks for your suggestion, I don't think I can PM yet though! #But if Pete (or anyone else) has any suggestions on things to watch for I would greatly appreciate them! :)

Thank you all for your suggestions in my other "now very confused about what type of boat" thread - your opinions really did give us a more informed perspective on what we did and did not need in our boat! 8-)

Please be kind and let me know what you think is a fair price for this outfit

Thanks
Janine

Herm
15-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Dash

Herm
15-05-2006, 06:16 PM
rear shot

Herm
15-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Inside view - I know that there are not many extras, but I figure that this way we can get exactly what we want - not what someone else wanted! ;)

longtail
15-05-2006, 07:54 PM
looks allright Janine ,

personally i feel it may be slightly underpowered , my reason for saying this - my boat is 4.8m with a 75hp 2st and i feel this is underpowered - , however a test run will give you the opportunity to check this.

you mentioned in your post you have a couple of young children , doesn't look to be much room up front for them to be out of your way while your fishing ;)

my opinion on value is prob wrong but here goes ::) i reckon somewhere in the vicinity of $15--$18k. but lets see what everyone else thinks. ::)

boat shopping........ isn't it fun :D

cheers
jason

timddo
15-05-2006, 10:31 PM
This may help ya.

I once had a quote for a hussar 4.75m runabout. swift tale.

the hull alone cost $10 000 brand new
A two stroke 60 horse will abe around $7000
plus a trailer for $1700

so approximate cost of new boat would be around $20 000.

The boat should way approx 400 kg. so a 60 hp should be fine, you should travel at around 35mph, not too fast but enough to get ya from A to B.

i would think around $15 000 mark is resonable

After all the quotes i went for a trailcraft, for the self draining deck and plate construction. it sometimes get a little ruff in the bay.

Grand_Marlin
15-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Hi Herm

From the pics the boat looks in pretty good nick.

Check for corrosion under the paint - ie any bubbles or peeling in the paint.

Get the mechanics to compression test the motor.

Make sure the wiring is earthed back to the battery and not to the hull.

Make sure it has a good water separating fuel filter with the glass bowl, seeing as you have underfloor tanks.

Structurally it should be fine ... but if you can, check all welds around the ribs.

Check whats under the floor ... you dont want to find anything like old fish hooks, sinkers or other metal objects - these will cause electrolysis / corrosion problems.

Look at all fittings attached to the boat and any screws / bolts - check for any corrosion.

Being only 2 yrs old, it should be fine, but you never know.

I have a client that bought a new 5.2m alloy boat, and it cracked badly within the first month......

It sounds like you have everything taken care of, but if you need me - 0419 263 264

Cheers

Pete

Herm
16-05-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks for your replies! #Pete, timddo and Jason! #It looks like we got it for #$14K #so not too bad, I hope!

Pete - I will print out your post and pass it on to hubby and make sure that all of these things are looked at. #Thank you very much for your knowledge :)

Jason: #We spent the last week at Caloundra with my folks and the old tinny was out every day and the kids did not come out in it once - so we decided not to base the boat decision around them. #If they do come fishing, we would normally fish off Golden Beach or head over to Bribie and fish off the bank with them for a bit of fun, rather than in the boat.

I went out for a fish the other night with my hubby and dad and had a good time, a few bream, a couple of flatties and my first shovelnose shark :) #It is much more peaceful in the boat without the kids at the age they are! (I am such a bad mum :-? saying that) and realistically - they will not come if we go out over Caloundra Bar, etc.

Thanks again
Janine

timddo
17-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Janine, check the boat rego number stickers, it' looks a bit small from the pictures,
The numbers need to be min of 200mm in height.

Herm
17-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Thanks Timddo

The boat has just been delivered after having it marine check done, it passed with flying colours (very happy ;D)

I will check on the size of those rego numbers, thanks for the heads-up! :) #If they are too small I won't be too worried as I think that hubby wants to put a name and ofcourse, a set of Ausfish stickers on her, and then we can reposition the rego numbers. #

Janine :D

longtail
17-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Janine , so whens the maiden voyage?? ;)

jason

Jeremy
18-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Congrats on your new boat. I agree that you seem to have got it for a good price, definitely not a rip off. Hope she is a good one a brings you alot of fun and fish.

Jeremy