PDA

View Full Version : how long for motor to warm up

steveg1100
16-05-2006, 08:41 PM
How long should you wait for your outboard to warm up. I find that if I don't run it for a few minutes it stalls when putting it in reverse. I notice that some guys can put them straight in reverse as soon as they hit the water.

It means it takes me a while longer to launch as I drive the boat off the trailer.

fishn-ads
16-05-2006, 09:02 PM
What type of engine is it? How old? maybe a good smart as to what could be going on?

Ads

southernson
16-05-2006, 09:05 PM
I give the motor a quick kick up before i hit the ramp/rigging lanes only for 5secs or so. But before taking of usually let it idle while casting of etc n slow revs for a minute or so before getting her up on the plane. doesnt take much longer to do and is better for the engine instead of goin flat out straight up after starting her first time for the day. (Only do that 1st use in the day).
Cheers steveg,What sort of motor?
Matt

steveg1100
16-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.

I should have said twin 75hp yamaha 2 stroke 2000 models.

How long can you safely run motor without water running through it then.

Spaniard_King
16-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Everytime you start your engine out of the water you are doing damage to the impellor and even more so If they are dry (havent been run in water for a few days)

Steve,

2 things.. either you need a carby tune up...mixtures and throttle syncronizations or you need ya thermostats replaced (they tend to seize open after a while

Garry

MulletMan
16-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Spaniard King is on the money! :D :D

Can't believe my eyes when I see some morons dry running their outboards! :P :P

Instant damage! :'(

onerabbit
17-05-2006, 12:07 AM
We stop to laugh, quietly, at the many people we see do this.

The muffs slipped off my new merc for 30-60 seconds at home during a clean-up, the impellor could not be trusted after that, was replaced immediately.

no matter what you've got , NEVER RUN IT DRY

My opinion only,

Muzz

southernson
17-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Really didnt realise that damage occured that fast, usually only to kick then engine over then run, then of, 5 secs or less, but there ya go learn something every day.
Wont be doin that again. Thanks boys.
Cheers

bushbeachboy
17-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Try starting and running for a few minutes on the muffs before you leave home.

Tony_N
17-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Try starting and running for a few minutes on the muffs before you leave home. #

Yeah - but not if you live next to me!!! Two 75 2-strokes bubbling away at 2 or 3 in the AM would get you shot in my neighbourhood.

steveg1100
17-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Thank you very much for the information guys.

The engines do run beautifully after warming up so I did not suspect that there was anything major wrong with them. I don't like waiting those 3-5mins with the engines running when there are others that wish to use the ramp, and like was mentioned I would not like to run them at home with muffs in the early hours of the morning.

Steve G

mark221263
18-05-2006, 09:51 AM
On the side of the 3 carbs there are individual idle mixture screws, one per carb.

Try opening them out 1/4 of a turn (anti clockwise) to richen up the idle mixture. This will have a significant effect at idle when cold especially if they were set a little on the lean side. You may notice a minimal increase in smoke at idle.

If you adjust them you can always put them back to the same position if you take note how far you opened them up. If this has no impact then I’d have the outboards tuned to set mixture, idle speed, idle rpm and timing synchronisation.

I use to have a yamaha manual so could of sent a copy of the instruction or pic of the idle adjustment screws but have since sold the boat and manual.

Cheers Mark
:)

madman1
18-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Under 60 seconds unitil the E-tec is at operating temperature I have been told!

fishin_till_late
18-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Thank you very much for the information guys.

I don't like waiting those 3-5mins with the engines running when there are others that wish to use the ramp, and like was mentioned I would not like to run them at home with muffs in the early hours of the morning.

Steve G

When you start at the ramp just shift it into gear and idle out of the ramp, it means your getting out of the way and still warming the motor up. Also gives you time to get the rods in the holders and orginise yourself too just be sure to watch out where your going.

cheers jono

Ron173
18-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Southernson,

The damage truly can happen almost instantaneously if you run dry.

I'll try to explain why, I'm assuming your not familiar with an impellor, so apologies if you are, bu if you were you'd know why not to do it, anyway...

Your impellor is basically a rubber item with vanes which rotates and has two ports sucking water in one and out around cooling system.

In time your system dries out, sitting in sun etc, the rubber expands/contracts etc, and can become marginally stuck to the casing with stiction, which when freed with water is ok, running dry can cause you to damage or even tear off a vane which has become sticky and suddenly starts dry.

hope this helps

Ron

southernson
18-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Yeah i am familiar with how they work but obviosly not enough. Makes sense now and am the wiser.
Thanks very much Ron