PDA

View Full Version : Overwhealmed by choice

numcode
11-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I am looking for the proverbial 'all rounder' boat 5.5-6m
Have not taken any for a ride due to indecision.
Seems that one must compramise to a large degree.
I want a fishing boat that will be good offshore, then want it to turn into the comfortable enclosed waters family vessel.
I think I would really like the Allison 195 but is beyond my budget. Has anyone experience with Allison? my second choice is the 189....maybe Vulcan. But then there are some good looking Haines & others too
makes & modelsOn the otherhand, I was initially looking only at aluminium hulls due to their ability to take a beating, lighter weight and is what I have extensive experience with in 14'ers.
I have now done the full circle...again.
Ally vs fibreglass
Family vs rec fishing
comfort vs functionality
I liken my situation to a fox in a chook pen...see one that I want, chase it but see another that looks just as good, even better, within my reach but end up with both getting away etc. etc. etc.

Could I ask experienced boaters for constructive comment on both the Allison boat, & recommendation of other makes & models to look at.

Thanks

blaze
11-05-2006, 07:12 AM
Have a look at post on this page
re
Nuggets new boat
gives a good insight and maybe you can use some of his methodligy
cheers
blaze

Thebuffalo
11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
I have gone through the same process before this Bertram came up. I ended up at the polycraft. I did start with aly, went to glass but ended up at the plastic. Value and pretty hardy with a ride similar to the glass boats. I know the plastic is a put off. We have a couple of blokes here with the 5.99. They swear by them. Probably not helping but certainly worth a closer look.

Cheers

wayne_cook
11-05-2006, 08:39 PM
A mate had a new 5.5 ? Allison couldn,t get rid of it quick enough.But have heard the larger ones are great.
I think u have to make up ur mind what u mainly want to do.Get the boat that suits that aspect.If an allrounder is purchased yull never be happy.

Cheers bear

numcode
18-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.
I have come to the conclusion that the boat will be used as fishing mostly. I did taka a gander at the Allison Vulcan 189 but not enough deck space for my taste. I am now taking a closer interest in the 195 Angler. All rounder has been wiped. There is a lot you can do with clear deck space....as with the 195

Hey brrbear was your mates boat the Fisherman 21? I am very interested to know what he had and what his grudge was against it. 5.5m is 21'6 to my calcs, which is exactly what the fisher 21 is in length.
Last thing anyone needs is wasting funds on mistakes others have already made!

Thank kindly

waykel
18-05-2006, 09:00 AM
5.5 mtrs is 18.04462 ft ;)

megafish71
18-05-2006, 08:33 PM
G'day Numcode, Have you had a look at a Yalta Craft. Very honest boats for the money, and have plenty of good deck space for fishing.

Ron