PDA

View Full Version : Spray Painting - Orange Peel finish

irishjim
17-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I've re-sprayed the hull of my fibreglass boat with 2 pot polyurothane and it has come up very well....however, close inspection of the surface shows minute 'orange peel' finish. I used a compressor set at 70 psi and spray distance of 10-12 inches in a shed protected from the elements. Can this be buffed out or should I use 1600 wet/dry paper and then buff to a shine. I'm goint to wait up to 10 days to let the paint mature

I had thinned the paint/hardener with 30% thinners.

I still have to paint the top half of the boat.....any suggestions on spraying technique to eliminate 'orange peel'.

Many of you may have been in this situation so I would appreciate all suggestions on what you did and what was the outcome

Regards - Jim

Blackened
17-05-2006, 08:14 PM
G'day
From my experiance orange peel, the cracking effect is created by the primer coats not going of properly before the application of the top coats. The primer isn't matured and with the added topcoats, just streaches and cracks the topcoats.
Dave

bassfanatic5
17-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Jim when you say orange peel do you mean small dimples or cracks if it is small dimples this can be caused by moisture in the airline from compressor have you got a good water strainer in the line, or the other thing to try is thinning it a bit more try a patch and see how it goes.

irishjim
18-05-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks Guys for the info...there is no cracking...just very small dimples.

The compressor is a cheap GMC brand and don't believe it would have a moisture filter.

May try to thin more than 30% and then test.

Any further comments from members would be appreciated

Thanks - Jim

Captain_Starli
18-05-2006, 09:10 AM
we used to fiddle a bit with 2 pac years back & found it orange peeled if it was applied too thick. try applying in light coats wet on wet , thats all i can offer..

shadow
18-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I only spray acrlic or enamal paint but from experiance orange peel occurs from applying the paint too thick or the paint you pushing through your gun is to thick . You can even try ajusting your air , paint mixture on your gun If you spray over unmatured primer it will normaly blister not orange peel. Hope I have helped.

Shadow

Jack_Montana
18-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Block it back a bit with 1200 wet & dry and she should buff up pretty nice.Make sure you always keep the buff moving at a steady pace to avoid burning through.

lippa
18-05-2006, 05:59 PM
solid 2k polyurethane are designed to peel up on application. the paint was original designed for the industrial market. busses and the like. the peel is to aid in masking the wobble of the panels (does that make sense?) and any other abnormalities one comes across. you say your orange peel in minute? well mate ya done a top job!!!!! :) ;) :D >: ;D. trying to buff a poly can be a pain in the arse to fickin hard. just leave it mate. don't add any more reducer or youll get more runs than don bradman!!!!!

cheers

lippa

p.s

i am a spray painter

LET_IT_RIP
18-05-2006, 07:22 PM
jim lippa hit the nail on the head.In all my years of painting i've never seen anyone get no peel on a vertical surface. buffing more trouble than its worth

graham

Seahorse
19-05-2006, 05:22 PM
hey letitrip. i have seen some of ur paint jobs. vert or hor. mmmmm